Here's another thought

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Tezza, Jun 13, 2003.

  1. Tezza

    Tezza New Member

    Joined:
    May 26, 2003
    Wouldn't it also be nice if instead of Armstrong, Cippolini or the other BIG names, an up and comer really blitzed them in the Tour d F?
    We all love our heroes but it does just get a wee bit boring and predictabe at times ..... or is such a thought just pure heresy in our American dominated world?

    ...... even the greatest people can raise themselves to loftier levels by showing a little humilty.
    Tezza:D

    Tags:

  2. Tritonrider

    Tritonrider Guest

    >From: Tezza [email protected]

    >Wouldn't it also be nice if instead of Armstrong, Cippolini or the other BIG names, an up and comer
    >really blitzed them in the Tour d F?

    Love to see some new young blood challenge at TDF, but they'd have to come from one of the teams
    that doesn't have a designated leader for the overall. I don't think that the rigid team structure
    has died yet. I could see a Lemond/Hinault situation happening again even if the leader wasn't
    challenging for the win. Bill C

  3. Here's a negative thought. If Lance loses the TDF, it's possible that he might not win any races
    this year, seeing how he is skipping some races but if I were a betting man, I would put all my
    money on Lance to win the TDF.

    B- "Tezza" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Wouldn't it also be nice if instead of Armstrong, Cippolini or the other BIG names, an up and
    > comer really blitzed them in the Tour d F? We all love our heroes but it does just get a wee bit
    > boring and predictabe at times ..... or is such a thought just pure heresy in our American
    > dominated world?
    >
    > ..... even the greatest people can raise themselves to loftier levels by showing a little
    > humilty. Tezza:D

  4. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Tezza wrote:
    > Wouldn't it also be nice if instead of Armstrong, Cippolini or the other BIG names, an up and
    > comer really blitzed them in the Tour d F? We all love our heroes but it does just get a wee bit
    > boring and predictabe at times ..... or is such a thought just pure heresy in our American
    > dominated world?
    >
    > ..... even the greatest people can raise themselves to loftier levels by showing a little
    > humilty. Tezza:D

    Kinda like Ramondas Rumsas?

  5. Lindsay

    Lindsay Guest

    On 14 Jun 2003 11:00:11 +0950, Tezza <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Wouldn't it also be nice if instead of Armstrong, Cippolini or the other BIG names, an up and
    >comer really blitzed them in the Tour d F? We all love our heroes but it does just get a wee bit
    >boring and predictabe at times ..... or is such a thought just pure heresy in our American
    >dominated world?
    >
    >..... even the greatest people can raise themselves to loftier levels by showing a little
    >humilty. Tezza:D

    If it's not Lance for an American I'd like to see Levi just crank it out of no where. Millar would
    great as well.

    Lindsay
    ----------------------------
    "One of the annoying things about believing in free will and individual responsibility is the
    difficulty of finding somebody to blame your problems on. And when you do find somebody, it's
    remarkable how often his picture turns up on your driver's license."

    P.J. O'Rourke

  6. > Wouldn't it also be nice if instead of Armstrong, Cippolini or the other BIG names, an up and
    > comer really blitzed them in the Tour d F?

    Different, yes, but "nice" is all a matter of perspective.

    > We all love our heroes but it does just get a wee bit boring and predictabe at times .....

    Lance wiping out at high speed on a descent was not anything I recall anybody predicting. It could
    happen again in the TDF, or something even worse. He isn't assured a win this year, and you cannot
    predict or promise a win. He's a bit banged up now, so who knows how that will affect him if he
    doesn't fully recover.

    > or is such a thought just pure heresy in our American dominated world?

    Not at all heresy, but in a sport that is most definitely NOT dominated by Americans for the most
    part, I don't know why anyone should be bothered if Lance wins again. Time and age will put an end
    to Lance's TDF wins eventually, and the anti-Lance fans can throw a party or something.

  7. Amh

    Amh Guest

    Tezza <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Wouldn't it also be nice if instead of Armstrong, Cippolini or the other BIG names, an up and
    > comer really blitzed them in the Tour d F? We all love our heroes but it does just get a wee bit
    > boring and predictabe at times ..... or is such a thought just pure heresy in our American
    > dominated world?

    As an American I'd love to see a race from a known name or an up and commer. I was rooting for
    Petarchi (sp?) in the sprints against Cipo. There are many folks in the US who root for the
    underdogs. Sad to see that the typical American reputation is that of one who roots for the
    dominant. We are taught (or used to be taught) that anyone who graduates high school can become
    president of the United States.

    Andy

    > ..... even the greatest people can raise themselves to loftier levels by showing a little
    > humilty. Tezza:D

  8. Tom Paterson

    Tom Paterson Guest

    >From: [email protected] (amh)

    >We are taught (or used to be taught) that anyone who graduates high school can become president of
    >the United States.

    Well a new standard has been set there. --Tom Paterson

  9. David Ryan

    David Ryan Guest

    amh wrote:

    > We are taught (or used to be taught) that anyone who graduates high school can become president of
    > the United States.
    >
    > Andy

    I must have missed that post-Lincoln constitutional amendment :)

  10. Tezza

    Tezza New Member

    Joined:
    May 26, 2003
    Gee that explains it Andy,

    Vote rigging and megolomania must have been "majors" for Dubbya at the expense of basic English. Don't worry, we have our own embarrasment in the form of Prime Miniture John Coward.

    Tezza