Here's the _BEEF_ !

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Clydesdalemtb, May 12, 2003.

  1. Several moons ago when I was plagued by a slipping seatpost on my RedLine MonoCog (firs and second
    frmes ;-) I was at my wits end, as was my riding-bud/Mgr. of LBS, who sold me the bike. (He's the
    one who lent me his Surly 1x1 for a month and got me hooked in the first place.)

    So we did some research and orderd one of these bad boys:

    http://www.surlybikes.com/parts/constrictor.htm

    The only thing the Surly webpage does not do, is any true justice as to just how BEEFY this clamps
    really is. So, to give props where mad_props are due, I took this picture comparing the standard
    RedLine seapost clamp to the Surly Constritor:

    http://www.shavings.net//images/bikes/SS/constrictor.jpg

    --
    John G. aka: ClydesdaleMTB Breaker of all things....

    Dreaming of a Karate Monkey: King Steel-Set headset RaceFace NorthShoreXS ISIS cranks and BB.
    Thomson setaposts and stem (of course ;-)

    Someday baby, someday......... <sigh

    Tags:

  2. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    | Several moons ago when I was plagued by a slipping seatpost on my RedLine MonoCog (firs and second
    | frmes ;-) I was at my wits end, as was my riding-bud/Mgr. of LBS, who sold me the bike. (He's the
    | one who lent me his Surly 1x1 for a month and got me hooked in the first place.)
    |
    | So we did some research and orderd one of these bad boys:
    |
    | http://www.surlybikes.com/parts/constrictor.htm

    Oooo, gotta have one of those! <madly starts hunting for a Surly dealer>

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 5/6/2003

  3. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > Several moons ago when I was plagued by a slipping seatpost on my RedLine MonoCog (firs and second
    > frmes ;-) I was at my wits end, as was my riding-bud/Mgr. of LBS, who sold me the bike. (He's the
    > one who lent me his Surly 1x1 for a month and got me hooked in the first place.)
    >
    > So we did some research and orderd one of these bad boys:
    >
    > http://www.surlybikes.com/parts/constrictor.htm
    >

    > The only thing the Surly webpage does not do, is any true justice as to just how BEEFY this clamps
    > really is. So, to give props where mad_props are due, I took this picture comparing the standard
    > RedLine seapost clamp to the Surly Constritor:
    >
    > http://www.shavings.net//images/bikes/SS/constrictor.jpg

    Oddly, i don't seem to have a problem with slipping seatposts, though i have not yet ridden
    this frame.

    > Thomson setaposts and stem (of course ;-)
    >
    > Someday baby, someday......... <sigh>

    Must be you don't have a frame that takes a 28.6 post as i keep offering you mine ;-)
    --
    ~Travis

  4. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Mon, 12 May 2003 17:47:31 -0400, ClydesdaleMTB wrote:

    > http://www.shavings.net//images/bikes/SS/constrictor.jpg

    So that sucka should work on just about any bike, shouldn't it? Between the slippery tube on my
    carbon fiber frame and my slippery USE seatpost, I have to stop and adjust it at least once a ride,
    even on short rides.

    Then again, I'm not sure I want to subject a carbon fiber frame to the seatclamp from hell!

  5. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Tue, 13 May 2003 09:19:21 -0400, Doug Taylor wrote:

    > I have a USE on my SS that constantly slips; I think it has something to do with the shim ( I
    > don't have the problem on my dualie which has a post to fit the tube).

    I got the version without the shim, for that very reason - not that it helped much!

  6. BB wrote:
    > On Mon, 12 May 2003 17:47:31 -0400, ClydesdaleMTB wrote:
    >

    >>http://www.shavings.net//images/bikes/SS/constrictor.jpg
    >

    > So that sucka should work on just about any bike, shouldn't it? Between the slippery tube on my
    > carbon fiber frame and my slippery USE seatpost, I have to stop and adjust it at least once a
    > ride, even on short rides.

    as long as the Outsied Diameter of the seat-tube is 30.0 or 30.2 (The ONLY two sizes they make
    them in ;-)

    > Then again, I'm not sure I want to subject a carbon fiber frame to the seatclamp from hell!

    shot them an E-Mial and ask them if'n it'd be okay.

  7. Technician wrote:

    > Must be you don't have a frame that takes a 28.6 post

    Not that I know of..... but who know's what lurks inthe basement.... or barns.

    > as i keep offering you mine ;-)

    like The Stones say: "Can't give it away on Second Avenune"