Heritage Tour day 1 Anderson,SC

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Jason Waddell, Apr 30, 2003.

  1. Day 1 is now over and things are good. I was really nervous about this race and this series as
    this is my first big race of the year. Well it is over now and I am looking forward to the rest
    of the week.

    How it unfolded, first hour and then some I have no idea about. I was just following wheels and
    getting a feel for racing again. At some point early on 4 dudes, Horner and Repinski (Saturn) Pate
    (Prime Alliance) and Gaggioli (Monex) got away and lapped the field in about 45 minutes or so. After
    that alot of attacks went nowhere but everyone kept at it. I was feeling good, and not hurting but
    didn't know my limitations as we haven't done any big races yet. After those 4 guys lapped I tried
    my hand in a few moves that went nowhere and decided that I would save it for another night when a
    move with about 8 riders went clear with a 30 second gap. I decided that killing myself for 13th
    place was not worth it with 5 days left to race. But I stayed at the front to at least give it a
    good sprint for some money and points.

    At this point in my self reflection and self doubt Pate attacked and Horner covered the move and I
    ,yes me, jumped on Horners' wheel and for the next few laps I had my screw turned by these two
    badass riders. Right then I decided that my night is NOT over as we had only 20 laps to go at this
    point. Pate pulls for one lap then Horner pulls for a lap, those two dudes can really motor. I took
    only two pulls in 3 laps when a group of 3 or 4 joined us from behind. The field at this point quit.
    Seriously. We caught Klasna ( Saturn) and Saunders (Ofoto) who were part of the 8 man break that was
    off the front and when all was said and done there were 8 of us total. I guess Klasna and Saunders
    dropped the other 6 sometime before Horner,Pate and I attacked.

    There were alot of attacks in the closing laps when Pate, Repinski and Klasna and a Ofoto rider
    attacked with 3 laps to go. Gaggioli was forced to chase at this point and Saunders, Dominguez
    (Saturn) Waddell (Mathis) and one other rider ??? were left to fight it out for 6th place now as
    Klasna now had 5th sewn up.

    With a lap and a half to go Saunders and Dominguez got a gap that I couldn't close and I reserved
    myself to sprinting the other rider for 8th. I won that sprint.

    Some of these details may be wrong or riders misplaced, I was racing and not spectating. I don't
    have a photographic memory when its dark and I'm doing 30 mph through turns...

    Going into tommorrow night I will be the top amatuer rider at the Heritage Tour. I felt really good
    and I am really looking forward to the rest of the week of racing.

    1. Victor Repinski Saturn
    2. Danny Pate Prime Alliance
    3. Roberto Gaggioli Monex

    Thanks for reading, Jason Waddell Mathis Brothers Elite Cycling Team

    Tags:

  2. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    Captain Waddle wrote

    [snipped]

    > I decided that killing myself for 13th place was not worth it

    I see you're in LANCE mode.

    Nice report. Good job.

  3. "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Captain Waddle wrote
    >
    > [snipped]
    >
    > > I decided that killing myself for 13th place was not worth it
    >
    > I see you're in LANCE mode.
    >
    > Nice report. Good job.

    Jason - There's WAY too much crap on RBR to sort through, so if you can title your reports: WADDELL
    REPORT: Race name - I'd be far more likely to read it. I almost skipped over this report dismissing
    it as just more meandering discussion.

    Thanks for the great report - good luck.

    -a

  4. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Andrew Martin
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Captain Waddle wrote
    > >
    > > [snipped]
    > >
    > > > I decided that killing myself for 13th place was not worth it
    > >
    > > I see you're in LANCE mode.
    > >
    > > Nice report. Good job.
    >
    > Jason - There's WAY too much crap on RBR to sort through, so if you can title your reports:
    > WADDELL REPORT: Race name - I'd be far more likely to read it. I almost skipped over this report
    > dismissing it as just more meandering discussion.
    >
    > Thanks for the great report - good luck.

    Just do a filter on his name that highlights his posts and brings them to the top of the
    list/heap/pile.

    -WG

  5. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Best of luck Jason and I hope you pull it off for the next week and end up the best amateur. Then we
    can get back to giving it to you properly.

    "Jason Waddell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
> [...]
    couldn't
    > close and I reserved myself to sprinting the other rider for 8th. I
    won that
    > sprint.
    >
    > Some of these details may be wrong or riders misplaced, I was racing
    and not
    > spectating. I don't have a photographic memory when its dark and
    I'm doing 30
    > mph through turns...
    >
    > Going into tommorrow night I will be the top amatuer rider at the
    Heritage
    > Tour. I felt really good and I am really looking forward to the rest
    of the
    > week of racing.
    >
    > 1. Victor Repinski Saturn
    > 2. Danny Pate Prime Alliance
    > 3. Roberto Gaggioli Monex
    >
    > Thanks for reading, Jason Waddell Mathis Brothers Elite Cycling Team

  6. Psycholist

    Psycholist Guest

    Jason,

    I just moved away from Anderson and missed their first big pro race ... and your first big race of
    the year. Bummer. But I'll be a course marshal in Greenwood tomorrow and I'll be keeping my eye
    out for you.

    I hear Anderson didn't exactly turn out in droves to support the race. I was nearly killed there
    last fall by a teenage "driver" and I suspect most folks there would say I was asking for it for
    being on the road on a bicycle. But I hear the weather was quite threatening and that might have
    kept the general public away.

    I'm hoping the turnout in Greenwood will be pretty good. There's a good local cycling club and
    they've been working hard to publicize the event.

    I hope Walterboro went well for you. I'll be anxious to see the report. See you in Greenwood!

    Bob C. (formerly [email protected])

> [...]
    couldn't
    > close and I reserved myself to sprinting the other rider for 8th. I won
    that
    > sprint.
    >
    > Some of these details may be wrong or riders misplaced, I was racing and
    not
    > spectating. I don't have a photographic memory when its dark and I'm
    doing 30
    > mph through turns...
    >
    > Going into tommorrow night I will be the top amatuer rider at the Heritage Tour. I felt really
    > good and I am really looking forward to the rest of
    the
    > week of racing.
    >
    > 1. Victor Repinski Saturn
    > 2. Danny Pate Prime Alliance
    > 3. Roberto Gaggioli Monex
    >
    > Thanks for reading, Jason Waddell Mathis Brothers Elite Cycling Team

  7. Danny Callen

    Danny Callen Guest

    "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:300420031507389066%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Andrew Martin
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Captain Waddle wrote
    > > >
    > > > [snipped]

    > > > I see you're in LANCE mode.
    > > >
    > > > Nice report. Good job.
    > >
    > > Jason - There's WAY too much crap on RBR to sort through, so if you can title your reports:
    > > WADDELL REPORT: Race name - I'd be far more likely to read it. I almost skipped over this report
    > > dismissing it as just more meandering discussion.
    > >
    > > Thanks for the great report - good luck.
    >
    > Just do a filter on his name that highlights his posts and brings them to the top of the
    > list/heap/pile.
    >
    > -WG

    What the hell is something worth reading doing on RBR? Can we start a new damn newsgroup called
    rec.bicycles.Jasonsracereports ? Awesome job. Go jason go!!

    Danny Callen

  8. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Danny Callen <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:300420031507389066%[email protected]...
    > > In article <[email protected]>, Andrew Martin
    > > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:<[email protected]>...

    > > > Jason - There's WAY too much crap on RBR to sort through, so if you can title your reports:
    > > > WADDELL REPORT: Race name - I'd be far more likely to read it. I almost skipped over this
    > > > report dismissing it as just more meandering discussion.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for the great report - good luck.
    > >
    > > Just do a filter on his name that highlights his posts and brings them to the top of the
    > > list/heap/pile.
    > >
    > > -WG
    >
    > What the hell is something worth reading doing on RBR? Can we start a new damn newsgroup called
    > rec.bicycles.Jasonsracereports ? Awesome job. Go jason go!!
    >
    > Danny Callen

    Bring donuts to New Britain in June. I'll seeya there!

    -WG

  9. Danny Callen

    Danny Callen Guest

    "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:070520032147372361%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Danny Callen <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:300420031507389066%[email protected]...

    as

    > > > Just do a filter on his name that highlights his posts and brings them to the top of the
    > > > list/heap/pile.
    > > >
    > > > -WG
    > >
    > > What the hell is something worth reading doing on RBR? Can we start a
    new
    > > damn newsgroup called rec.bicycles.Jasonsracereports ? Awesome job. Go
    jason
    > > go!!
    > >
    > > Danny Callen
    >
    > Bring donuts to New Britain in June. I'll seeya there!
    >
    > -WG

    You'll hate that race; it's too easy for you slick California dudes.

    Danny Callen

  10. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Danny Callen <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:070520032147372361%[email protected]...

    > as

    > > > What the hell is something worth reading doing on RBR? Can we start a
    > new
    > > > damn newsgroup called rec.bicycles.Jasonsracereports ? Awesome job. Go
    > jason
    > > > go!!
    > > >
    > > > Danny Callen
    > >
    > > Bring donuts to New Britain in June. I'll seeya there!
    > >
    > > -WG
    >
    > You'll hate that race; it's too easy for you slick California dudes.
    >
    > Danny Callen

    I've been 2nd there and my brother has won it. Deja vu?

    -WG

  11. Danny Callen

    Danny Callen Guest

    "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:080520031920135287%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Danny Callen <[email protected]> wrote:

    Andrew

    > > as

    > > new
    Go
    > > jason

    > > > Bring donuts to New Britain in June. I'll seeya there!
    > > >
    > > > -WG
    > >
    > > You'll hate that race; it's too easy for you slick California dudes.
    > >
    > > Danny Callen
    >
    > I've been 2nd there and my brother has won it. Deja vu?
    >
    > -WG

    Where is Dave? Has he started his own Dunkin' Donut franchise? I haven't seen him in a while?? BTW,
    this year just jump on the "BOB" Train for a free ride to the finsih...

    Danny Callen