Heritage Tour: day 3 Greenwood,SC

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Jason Waddell, May 1, 2003.

  1. It is truly amazing how humbling bike racing can be. You do everything exactly right, you prepare
    meticulously and it still doesn't go your way. After the past two nights I felt like I was coming
    into some really good form, and I was right. But like I said before, this is bike racing and and
    some days it really sucks.

    It was raining at the start, and it rained for the first half of the race. I think about half of the
    field was out of the race 25 laps into the 60 lap race. I worked my way to the front after 10 laps
    into it and decided to stay in the front no matter what.

    I literally rode in the front 10 guys and went with every single move for 25 laps. After one really
    hard effort about 14 guys slipped off the front when I had drifted back about 15 places. I was
    pissed, I waited for one lap to catch my breath and tried to go across. I gave it everything for two
    laps but couldn't get closer than 5 seconds.

    This is when bike racing really sucks, I feel really good, but being by myself I am limited in the
    moves and attacks that I can go with. In order to not miss any breaks you have to go with literally
    everything. That takes alot of energy.

    After the break was gone I sat in the field and talked to some friends while Saturn and Navigators
    set some ridiculously fast tempo on the front. I decided to try and make some cash and give it a go
    for 15th. I was really tired from all the efforts earlier and could only manage 6th in the field
    sprint. That means I was 21st and money only pays 20 places.

    Today was not a good day, raced in the rain, didn't make any money, and got my bike dirty. At least
    I didn't crash.......

    Till tommorrow, Jason Waddell Mathis Brothers Elite Team

    Tags:

  2. "Jason Waddell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It is truly amazing how humbling bike racing can be. You do everything
    exactly
    > right, you prepare meticulously and it still doesn't go your way. After
    the
    > past two nights I felt like I was coming into some really good form, and I
    was
    > right. But like I said before, this is bike racing and and some days it
    really
    > sucks.
    >
    > It was raining at the start, and it rained for the first half of the race.
    > think about half of the field was out of the race 25 laps into the 60 lap
    race.
    > I worked my way to the front after 10 laps into it and decided to stay in
    the
    > front no matter what.
    >
    > I literally rode in the front 10 guys and went with every single move for
    25
    > laps. After one really hard effort about 14 guys slipped off the front
    when I
    > had drifted back about 15 places. I was pissed, I waited for one lap to
    catch
    > my breath and tried to go across. I gave it everything for two laps but couldn't get closer than 5
    > seconds.
    >
    > This is when bike racing really sucks, I feel really good, but being by
    myself
    > I am limited in the moves and attacks that I can go with. In order to not
    miss
    > any breaks you have to go with literally everything. That takes alot of energy.
    >
    > After the break was gone I sat in the field and talked to some friends
    while
    > Saturn and Navigators set some ridiculously fast tempo on the front. I
    decided
    > to try and make some cash and give it a go for 15th. I was really tired
    from
    > all the efforts earlier and could only manage 6th in the field sprint.
    That
    > means I was 21st and money only pays 20 places.
    >
    > Today was not a good day, raced in the rain, didn't make any money, and
    got my
    > bike dirty. At least I didn't crash.......
    >
    > Till tommorrow, Jason Waddell Mathis Brothers Elite Team

    Thanks for sharing, Jason; enjoying the reports. Good luck through Roswell!