Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Hernia and bike riding

Started by Joseph · · Last activity · 4 posts · 1,027 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
3 November 2005
Last activity
4 November 2005
Original author
Joseph
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,027
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello All
    Does anyone have any experience with Inguinal Hernias? I have developed a
    hernia in the lower abdominal wall. My GP sent me to a surgeon to see about
    an operation and the GP said to stay off the bike. The specialist said it
    wasn't bad enough to operate and said to get back on the bike. I suspect
    that he wants it to get worse and then he will operate.
    Any ideas from bike riders? I am not a very serious rider, riding perhaps 30
    km most days and riding up some steep hills, but I enjoy it.
    Joseph

  2. Is your GP fat? Never trust a doctor who is not a picture of good
    health himself. People who don't know fitness can't advise on it. Get a
    doctor who is a sports specialist.

    Donga

  3. Joseph said:

    Hello All
    Does anyone have any experience with Inguinal Hernias? I have developed a
    hernia in the lower abdominal wall. My GP sent me to a surgeon to see about
    an operation and the GP said to stay off the bike. The specialist said it
    wasn't bad enough to operate and said to get back on the bike. I suspect
    that he wants it to get worse and then he will operate.
    Any ideas from bike riders? I am not a very serious rider, riding perhaps 30
    km most days and riding up some steep hills, but I enjoy it.
    Joseph

    I had a strangulated hernia about 20 years ago, and I can tell you if that happens you won't be able to ride the bike. If I stood up it hurt, if I sat down it hurt, if I breathed it hurt, if I didn't breath it hurt.. you get the picture! Of course if and when that happens there is no question you get the surgery to fix it immediately.

    Phil

  4. Joseph said:

    Hello All
    Does anyone have any experience with Inguinal Hernias? I have developed a
    hernia in the lower abdominal wall. My GP sent me to a surgeon to see about
    an operation and the GP said to stay off the bike. The specialist said it
    wasn't bad enough to operate and said to get back on the bike. I suspect
    that he wants it to get worse and then he will operate.
    Any ideas from bike riders? I am not a very serious rider, riding perhaps 30
    km most days and riding up some steep hills, but I enjoy it.
    Joseph


    Greetings,

    I had one years ago and they operated. It slowed me down for a month or
    so, but after that things were back to normal. The operation is not
    major, it has never bothered me since.
    Regards,
    Ray.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.