"He's a good rider," Bush said of Lance Armstrong

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 21:59:52 GMT, "Bill Sornson"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Tim Lines wrote:
>> Bill Sornson wrote:

>>> Oh, bullspit. He MIGHT have just meant that Lance rode a MOUNTAIN
>>> bike pretty well for a roadie. Or he COULD have had his tongue
>>> planted firmly in cheek. (Afterall, who would expect a 7-time
>>> winner of the TdF to be a good rider?)
>>>
>>> It's the weekend. Take a day off from your biased whining...
>>>

>> YEAH! How dare those humorless poopyheads make a joke about our
>> Fearless Leader! It really makes me mad that those liberals can't
>> take a joke and don't understand humor! I'm so angry, I think I'll
>> go punch my Al Franken doll. I only wish it was the real thing!

>"Fuller" quoted an article and then added his interpretation. (That's what
>"Read:" means when used like that.) If it was intended as a good-natured
>poke, then your point is taken. However, he used all caps and a derogatory
>term ("emperor" -- quite similar to all the "American Imperialism" rhetoric
>thrown around lately), so I'm guessing he was serious (read: ANGRY).

If it were read as a spoof of modern Bush bashing it has some humor. Sort of a
blamebush.com thing, so over the top it's hard to tell if it's deliberate spoof
or just frothing rant.

>You can still bop Franken for {the good of mankind} me, though.

Think whackamole with one mole and he don't pop down.

Ron

"di" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "Blair P. Houghton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > di <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>I can remember when John Kerry rode his Soretta around a

parking lot, it
> >>was
> >>a big deal, all these folks thought he was the greatest

biker in the
> >>world.

> > Then you remember falsely about John Kerry and his Serotta

and
> > what people's opinions were.
> >
> > --Blair

> Don't think so

There were several threads at the time. I don't recall a
single message that suggested John Kerry was the greatest
biker in the world. A Google and Google Groups search on
"John Kerry greatest biker in the world" doesn't return much,
and its a big internet.

What's the big deal? Bush makes a joke. It's not a great joke,
but it's funny. The original poster makes a joke on top of
that. It's not a great joke either, and it's in all caps, but
by newsgroup standards that's not so bad.

who is al franken?

[email protected] wrote:
> I guess I'm old school, cause I think you need a mountain too ;-)

The President has ably demonstrated an ability to make a mountain out of a
molehill.

Haven't you ever been to Texas? It's all flat after a fashion - UP,
DOWN, UP, DOWN, UP, DOWN, UP, DOWN.

I've been on plenty of MTB rides that took 2 hours and more. In fact,
there's one about 80 miles from my house that takes 2 hours to climb
and an hour to come down. You're dodging boulders the whole time.

Don't tell us - you're really Mark Weaver in drag? Or someone else who
figures that if they can ride faster than someone else they are
necessarily better?

"Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"di" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> "Blair P. Houghton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>parking lot, it

>biker in the
>> >
>> > Then you remember falsely about John Kerry and his Serotta

>and
>> > what people's opinions were.
>> >
>> > --Blair

>> Don't think so
>>

>There were several threads at the time. I don't recall a
>single message that suggested John Kerry was the greatest
>biker in the world. A Google and Google Groups search on
>"John Kerry greatest biker in the world" doesn't return much,
>and its a big internet.
>
>What's the big deal? Bush makes a joke. It's not a great joke,
>but it's funny. The original poster makes a joke on top of
>that. It's not a great joke either, and it's in all caps, but
>by newsgroup standards that's not so bad.

That's just it though - I can't extract a "joke" out of the cap-lock
bit, try as I might. It sounded more like a whine, but maybe I just
don't understand liberal humor. ;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

I ride around Lake Chabot here and there's one decent climb. It's a 14
mile route and it takes me about 1 1/2 hours. The fastest I ever did it
was 1:14 and that was when I was racing and in good shape. The last
time I tried to push the pace I was chasing a guy, washed out the front
end on a turn and ended up with a separated shoulder. Hopefully
Furguson will avoid that and learn by thinking. Unlike the rest of us.

Mark Hickey wrote:

> That's just it though - I can't extract a "joke" out of the cap-lock
> bit, try as I might. It sounded more like a whine, but maybe I just
> don't understand liberal humor. ;-)

"Liberal humor" -- get serious!

<eg>

Especially since it was a Serotta and I understand he's at least a
competent road rider. Doesn't make him any cleaner in my book though. I
never forgave him for Vietnam Veterans Against the War and never will.
Anyone that was willing to tell any number of lies about the USA in
order to advance his own personal political career doesn't stand
upright in my book.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Don't tell us - you're really Mark Weaver in drag? Or someone else who
> figures that if they can ride faster than someone else they are
> necessarily better?

Where is Mark Weaver now? He wrote some funny stuff back in the day.

Tom Kunich wrote:
> I ride around Lake Chabot here and there's one decent climb. It's a 14
> mile route and it takes me about 1 1/2 hours. The fastest I ever did it
> was 1:14 and that was when I was racing and in good shape. The last
> time I tried to push the pace I was chasing a guy, washed out the front
> end on a turn and ended up with a separated shoulder. Hopefully
> Furguson will avoid that and learn by thinking. Unlike the rest of us.

Lake Chabot?

There is a lake named after me? Where is that?
I thought all Chabots were french canadian criminals...Is that where we
historically disposed of the bodies or something?

J Chabot

Wait, it took him two HOURS to ride 17 miles????

Can Lance even keep his bike balanced at that speed? LOL!

- -

"May you have the winds at your back,
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

In the 1860's a hydraulic engineer (the French were always superb
hydraulic engineers as any trip around France will reveal to anyone not
brain dead) fashioned an earthen dam in what is now San Leandro but was
then the far back woods of Oakland, California. This supplied water to
the east bay and made a rich man of Chabot who was also quite a
gentleman.

He, in the 1880's, also funded what eventually became Chabot
Observatory in the Oakland hills. The growth in the Bay Area destroyed
most of the value of the obsdervatory since the indusgtrial polutants
and huge amounts of light polution made a telescope virtually useless
for modern study.

But the face remains that there are all sorts of city and educational
facilities named after a gentleman of the first water: Anthony Chabot.

I figure that Mark Weaver ended up killing himself in order to be able
to brag that anyone that couldn't go down San Bruno Mountain in 3
minutes flat is a weenie.

Chris Zacho "The Wheelman" wrote:
> Wait, it took him two HOURS to ride 17 miles????
>
> Can Lance even keep his bike balanced at that speed? LOL!

> Chris Zacho ~ "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

So you build only ROAD wheels?!? Two hours for a 17-mile MOUNTAIN BIKE ride
is not at all unusual or slow.

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 23:50:39 GMT, "Bill Sornson"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Chris Zacho "The Wheelman" wrote:
>> Wait, it took him two HOURS to ride 17 miles????
>>
>> Can Lance even keep his bike balanced at that speed? LOL!

>> Chris Zacho ~ "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

>So you build only ROAD wheels?!? Two hours for a 17-mile MOUNTAIN BIKE ride
>is not at all unusual or slow.

The footage they showed on the news, was of a group on road bikes. Are
you sure they were riding mtb bikes?

I personally could care less about their speed. I'm sure it was more
photo op, than real ride.

Life is Good!
Jeff