"He's a good rider," Bush said of Lance Armstrong

Tom Kunich wrote:
> I ride around Lake Chabot here and there's one decent climb. It's a 14
> mile route and it takes me about 1 1/2 hours. The fastest I ever did it
> was 1:14 and that was when I was racing and in good shape. The last
> time I tried to push the pace I was chasing a guy, washed out the front
> end on a turn and ended up with a separated shoulder. Hopefully
> Furguson will avoid that and learn by thinking. Unlike the rest of us.

Lake Chabot?

There is a lake named after me? Where is that?
I thought all Chabots were french canadian criminals...Is that where we
historically disposed of the bodies or something?

J Chabot

In the 1860's a hydraulic engineer (the French were always superb
hydraulic engineers as any trip around France will reveal to anyone not
brain dead) fashioned an earthen dam in what is now San Leandro but was
then the far back woods of Oakland, California. This supplied water to
the east bay and made a rich man of Chabot who was also quite a
gentleman.

He, in the 1880's, also funded what eventually became Chabot
Observatory in the Oakland hills. The growth in the Bay Area destroyed
most of the value of the obsdervatory since the indusgtrial polutants
and huge amounts of light polution made a telescope virtually useless
for modern study.

But the face remains that there are all sorts of city and educational
facilities named after a gentleman of the first water: Anthony Chabot.

I figure that Mark Weaver ended up killing himself in order to be able
to brag that anyone that couldn't go down San Bruno Mountain in 3
minutes flat is a weenie.

Bill Sornson wrote:
> fuller wrote:
>>
>> READ: LANCE IS GOOD, NOT NOBODY IS AS GOOD AS OUR INFALLIBLE AND
>> PERFECT EMPEROR

> Oh, bullspit. He MIGHT have just meant that Lance rode a MOUNTAIN
> bike pretty well for a roadie. Or he COULD have had his tongue
> planted firmly in cheek.

Sure, but we find it funnier to think your leader is a dumbass...

They sure are compatible in the lying department, anyway.

On 2005-08-23, Dominic Richens <[email protected]> wrote:
> Bill Sornson wrote:
>> fuller wrote:
>>>
>>> READ: LANCE IS GOOD, NOT NOBODY IS AS GOOD AS OUR INFALLIBLE AND
>>> PERFECT EMPEROR

>> Oh, bullspit. He MIGHT have just meant that Lance rode a MOUNTAIN
>> bike pretty well for a roadie. Or he COULD have had his tongue
>> planted firmly in cheek.

> Sure, but we find it funnier to think your leader is a dumbass...

Please don't call our dictator that...dumbass lying puppet is much more
appropriate.

Chuck wrote:
> On 2005-08-23, Dominic Richens <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Bill Sornson wrote:

>>> Oh, bullspit. He MIGHT have just meant that Lance rode a MOUNTAIN
>>> bike pretty well for a roadie. Or he COULD have had his tongue
>>> planted firmly in cheek.

>> Sure, but we find it funnier to think your leader is a dumbass...
>>

> Please don't call our dictator that...dumbass lying puppet is much
> more appropriate.

Go refill the tanks on the Slurpy machine, "Chuck".

Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:04:06 GMT,
<[email protected]>, "Bill Sornson"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Sure, but we find it funnier to think your leader is a dumbass...
>>>

>> Please don't call our dictator that...dumbass lying puppet is much
>> more appropriate.

>Go refill the tanks on the Slurpy machine, "Chuck".

Does Lance know you wear brown lipstick for George too?
--
zk

Zoot Katz wrote:
> Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:04:06 GMT,
> <[email protected]>, "Bill Sornson"

>>> Please don't call our dictator that...dumbass lying puppet is much
>>> more appropriate.

>> Go refill the tanks on the Slurpy machine, "Chuck".

> Does Lance know you wear brown lipstick for George too?

Ooh, a scathing remark from the (pea)nut(s) gallery. How shall I go on...

I think you need a threaded newsreader. I'll be kind, because I've
just been up in Auburn CA, where there are mountains, doing some
mountain biking. That's left me in a good mood.

Look again. I said

"I keep looking at those news reports from Crawford ... sure looks
flat."

To that, Bill replied to me

"17 miles is a pretty decent-length mountain bike ride. Unless it was
ALL
fireroad (and it's not), two hours is about right."

.... without a mention of Crawford, or how flat it looks. I thought it
was quite moderate of me, to reinforce my "Crawford ... sure looks
flat" point, with my self-deprecating "old school" and a smiley no
less! I guess you came in here and didn't notice the back-story.

I don't know what life you lead, but to jump on a newbie who has just
dropped a smiliey, with your short bus comment looks a little bit ...
angry.

Sorry to miss your answer for a couple days .. but as I say, I've been
up in the mountains.

Best Wishes.

One more time here, Shortbus.

You implied that you need a mountain to go mountain bike riding. You
implied that if you don't have a mountain then you sould be putting up
faster times.

Both are incorrect, as was pointed out to you.

As a piece of advice, if you are new to RBR, you better get some
thicker skin and an even better sense of humor.

Hell, I'm one of the nicer people here.

My only regret is that it is an insult to kids on the short but.

;-) WINK WINK

Are you getting it now?

On 25 Aug 2005 19:29:54 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>I think you need a threaded newsreader. I'll be kind, because I've
>just been up in Auburn CA, where there are mountains, doing some
>mountain biking. That's left me in a good mood.
>
>Look again. I said
>
>"I keep looking at those news reports from Crawford ... sure looks
>flat."
>
>To that, Bill replied to me
>
>"17 miles is a pretty decent-length mountain bike ride. Unless it was
>ALL
>fireroad (and it's not), two hours is about right."
>
>... without a mention of Crawford, or how flat it looks. I thought it
>was quite moderate of me, to reinforce my "Crawford ... sure looks
>flat" point, with my self-deprecating "old school" and a smiley no
>less! I guess you came in here and didn't notice the back-story.
>
>I don't know what life you lead, but to jump on a newbie who has just
>dropped a smiliey, with your short bus comment looks a little bit ...
>angry.
>
>Sorry to miss your answer for a couple days .. but as I say, I've been
>up in the mountains.
>
>Best Wishes.

If you want to prove that you can reply to a few gentle comments by
being a ****, you've certainly done that. Congratulations.

But as it happens, I've been mountain biking off and on now for 20
years. In that time, I've traveled to a lot of mountains. Many
mountain bikers do. The sport was generally agreed to have been born
on Mt. Tam. It grew in mountainous areas like Colorado and Utah. When
we hear of "Mountain Bike Mecca" we think of places in the mountains.
Mountain bike races are almost always held in the montains. We do not
journey to the flatlands.

Now, I've got a mountain bike. I sometimes use it elsewhere, but I
don't call that mountain biking. If I ride around town, I call that
"errands" or "going to dinner." I even have a riverine park out back,
hillier I'm sure than Crawford. If go out there I call that "getting a
little excercise" or "having a little fun."

If you ask me, the guy on the "short bus" is the guy riding around the
flats saying "look, I'm mountain biking ... just like the big kids!"

Tell you what, why don't you ride down to the corner, buy yourself some
milk, and tell us "look, I've done an Epic!"

> As a piece of advice, if you are new to RBR, you better get
> some thicker skin and an even better sense of humor.

.... minor note. I don't even read RBR. I found my post in
rec.bicycles.misc where it was cross-posted to both groups. You
dropped the "misc" cross-post, leading me here.

BTW, you gave a definition above. It was a little weak without a URL
for our inspection. I'll give you one now, with URL:

mountain bike, all-terrain bike, off-roader:

a bicycle with a sturdy frame and fat tires; originally designed for
riding in mountainous country

http://tinyurl.com/aqoew

Now, "originally designed for riding in mountainous country" sounds a
lot like there might be an "old school" association with "needing a
mountain."

Bu)j®. feel free to be a **** about it.

"fuller" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
[email protected]...

> White House spokesman Trent Duffy said the group consisted of Bush,
> Armstrong and about eight other cyclists, including Secret Service
> personnel and White House staffers. The president led "Peloton One" on
> a two-hour, 17-mile ride with a 10-minute break at the site of a
> waterfall on the ranch.
>
> "He's a good rider," Bush said of his guest as a White House
> photographer took their picture, Duffy said.

Well, what do you know. Shrub finally said something that was true.

On 26 Aug 2005 06:57:35 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>If you want to prove that you can reply to a few gentle comments by
>being a ****, you've certainly done that. Congratulations.
>
>But as it happens, I've been mountain biking off and on now for 20
>years. In that time, I've traveled to a lot of mountains. Many
>mountain bikers do. The sport was generally agreed to have been born
>on Mt. Tam. It grew in mountainous areas like Colorado and Utah. When
>we hear of "Mountain Bike Mecca" we think of places in the mountains.
>Mountain bike races are almost always held in the montains. We do not
>journey to the flatlands.
>
>Now, I've got a mountain bike. I sometimes use it elsewhere, but I
>don't call that mountain biking. If I ride around town, I call that
>"errands" or "going to dinner." I even have a riverine park out back,
>hillier I'm sure than Crawford. If go out there I call that "getting a
>little excercise" or "having a little fun."
>
>If you ask me, the guy on the "short bus" is the guy riding around the
>flats saying "look, I'm mountain biking ... just like the big kids!"
>
>Tell you what, why don't you ride down to the corner, buy yourself some
>milk, and tell us "look, I've done an Epic!"

LOL

Well at least now you're getting with the program, shortbus.

I suppose for a world champion like you a ride over dirt trailed hills
doesn't qualify as "mountain biking". We'll call what Bush is doing
"off road".

But for a road bike rider, getting off the road and onto dirt trailed
hills, it's not really the "mountains" that slow things down. It's the
bumpy ass path.

I believe the point, in the face of a forum full of roadies, is that
going 17 miles in two hours isn't that bad if you are "off road".
Whereas, to those ON the road, you better double that distance over 2
hours if you want to impress anyone at all.

PS. I don't own a "mountain bike". I do have a 12 speed Huffy with
knobby tires that weighs at least 35 lbs.
Since I live in the country, a ride to the store and back through the
hills of Kentucky on that thing WOULD be an epic of sorts.

On 26 Aug 2005 08:01:27 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>BTW, you gave a definition above. It was a little weak without a URL
>for our inspection. I'll give you one now, with URL:
>
>mountain bike, all-terrain bike, off-roader:
>
>a bicycle with a sturdy frame and fat tires; originally designed for
>riding in mountainous country
>
>http://tinyurl.com/aqoew
>
>Now, "originally designed for riding in mountainous country" sounds a
>lot like there might be an "old school" association with "needing a
>mountain."
>
>Bu?j? feel free to be a **** about it.

Sorry, it was from Mirriam-Webster Dictionary.

I never thought to go to "answers.com".

D. Ferguson wrote:
> I never thought to go to "answers.com".

It's used by google in the blue bar above search results to link search
terms to their definitions.

--
E. Dronkert

Fri, 26 Aug 2005 00:22:21 GMT,
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Go refill the tanks on the Slurpy machine, "Chuck".

>> Does Lance know you wear brown lipstick for George too?

>Ooh, a scathing remark from the (pea)nut(s) gallery. How shall I go on...

Just keep slithering along. You'll get there.
--
zk

On 22-Aug-2005, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Mark Hickey wrote:
>
> > That's just it though - I can't extract a "joke" out of the cap-lock
> > bit, try as I might. It sounded more like a whine, but maybe I just
> > don't understand liberal humor. ;-)

> "Liberal humor" -- get serious!

Like the smug self-righteousness of the right-wing is funny?

--
Sock Puppet