He's back! Armstrong crushes field in first time trial.

No_Positives

Aug 15, 2007
Armstrong wins time-trial

5 hours ago

GRUENE, Texas (AFP) — Seven-time Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong won the Tour of Gruene time-trial timing 33minutes 14seconds over the 26.6 kilometres route.

The 37-year-old - who sensationally announced earlier this year that he was returning to the saddle next season - was competing in the 35-39 age category and beat his nearest rival's best time by nearly three minutes and was 1min 43sec clear of the runner-up in all age categories.

Armstrong, who has been signed by the elite Astana team, has said he will compete in the Tour of Italy, but is yet to confirm whether he will race in the Tour de France.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5h9hPTa-5ahj88JB27RtImWgjbUfg

With the field he was "competing" against, please tell me you're not suprised by the outcome...

tonyzackery said:
With the field he was "competing" against, please tell me you're not suprised by the outcome...
Dude man dude, are you kidding me??? He beat Ryan Campos. Ryan Campos!!! Don't you remember him from the Tour Duh ......um....... wachamacallit?

You are kidding me aren't you? Effectively a club level competition and he is getting celebrated for this win?

Best of luck Armstrong... but this ain't much of a comeback...

Great win of Lance.

The only win he has done without doping! He showed his real abilities.

poulidor said:
Great win of Lance.

Great news everyone. I crushed the entire field in a local race on the roads around Edinburgh. Shall I mention that I was the only competitor? Hey, it's still a crushing win, right? I mean, come on, no one else finished the course (or started). I crushed them! :rolleyes:

Rolfrae said:
Great news everyone. I crushed the entire field in a local race on the roads around Edinburgh. Shall I mention that I was the only competitor? Hey, it's still a crushing win, right? I mean, come on, no one else finished the course (or started). I crushed them! :rolleyes:
Depends. Were you riding the 36-39 category like Lance ? Its a very competitive age group.

I cannot believe VeloNews reported this.

whiteboytrash said:
Depends. Were you riding the 36-39 category like Lance ? Its a very competitive age group.

I was riding the 34 to 34 and three quarters age group. Crushed them!

whiteboytrash said:

Well wasn't this his first "road race" since his retirement? That would explain the media attention.

Comparing his time against the rest of the field is ridiculous, instead you could look at his avg speed - though the problem with that is that we don't know the conditions. Anyway, what was his avg. speed?

RdBiker said:
Well wasn't this his first "road race" since his retirement? That would explain the media attention.

Comparing his time against the rest of the field is ridiculous, instead you could look at his avg speed - though the problem with that is that we don't know the conditions. Anyway, what was his avg. speed?
46.489 km/h

poulidor said:
Great win of Lance.

Done without doping? Don't forget all that "altitude training" he has been doing.

Is it just me or is his time trial position ****? He needs to do some serious wind tunnel testing I think.

And his time isn't that great, but it's only November, would have been hilarious if he'd lost though.

But remember this comeback is all about publicity and in that regard he's probably done himself quite well even if the result isn't that impressive.

crushed a bunch of club cyclist... nice!

how come he doesn't have to wear his astana kit? he was all decked out in his livestrong gear... i guess he's special.

doctorSpoc said:
crushed a bunch of club cyclist... nice!

how come he doesn't have to wear his astana kit? he was all decked out in his livestrong gear... i guess he's special.
In his black Livestrong kit, raising awareness for his giant ego.

Rolfrae said:
In his black Livestrong kit, raising awareness for his giant ego.
Now it's obvious who's the man in black.
And his approach is good... Winning is good for self-confidence... No matter how strong was competition.

doctorSpoc said:
That will be the 09 Astana kit :eek: :confused:

It wouldn't surprise me if it's something 'Livestrong'
part of the "negotiations with team owner/sponsors" that was talked of earlier after Armstrong's return was announced.

Trev_S said:
It wouldn't surprise me if it's something 'Livestrong'
part of the "negotiations with team owner/sponsors" that was talked of earlier after Armstrong's return was announced.
Anything to get rid of those awful Astana kits would be good. The only kit worse is Cofidis.