He's Retained Counsel

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by B. Lafferty, Apr 10, 2006.

  1. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    Richard Sachs wrote:
    > news:[email protected]
    >> http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/9724.0.html
    >>

    > i'm still waiting to hear what the ochomaniacs
    > feel will be the positive to come from all this.

    Anyone remember this? This is what he said the last
    time there was a purge:

    http://truesport.com/Bike/1999/usacrebut2.htm

    JAMES L. OCHOWICZ, USPRO "What an unbelievable opportunity
    we all now have to grow the sport of cycling into the next
    century. The new by-laws enable USA Cycling to better serve
    the needs of its membership, rather than its own self
    interests. USA Cycling, its staff and leadership can now
    focus its time and energy in a productive manner to benefit
    all its members, sponsors and affiliates. "

    This is what one rbr wag had to say about this, in retrospect:
    http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/msg/73449bd0fb374377?hl=en&

    Bob Schwartz

  2. On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:27:50 GMT, "Richard Sachs"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/9724.0.html
    >>

    >i'm still waiting to hear what the ochomaniacs
    >feel will be the positive to come from all this.

    Are they allowed by Och to post on rbr? That would require that they
    frequent an uncontrolled (if not untrolled) environment.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  3. "Curtis L. Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:27:50 GMT, "Richard Sachs"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]
    >>> http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/9724.0.html
    >>>

    >>i'm still waiting to hear what the ochomaniacs
    >>feel will be the positive to come from all this.
    >>

    > Are they allowed by Och to post on rbr? That would require that they
    > frequent an uncontrolled (if not untrolled) environment.
    >
    > Curtis L. Russell
    > Odenton, MD (USA)
    > Just someone on two wheels...

    i guess what i mean is - is there anyone from amongst
    the licensed rider group that can support the bs that
    went down last week? gerard seems to have the support
    of everyone except the foundation guys.

  4. On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 19:22:39 GMT, "Richard Sachs"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >i guess what i mean is - is there anyone from amongst
    >the licensed rider group that can support the bs that
    >went down last week? gerard seems to have the support
    >of everyone except the foundation guys.

    Wonder what the split is at the Foundation. I'm guessing there have to
    be a few that are pretty disgusted. One letter writer didn't
    particularly like Gerard on that page you posted, but that is probably
    as close to support as Ochs will get. Of course, Magilla and at least
    one of the Crit Pros will support him just to be contrary.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  5. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    Curtis L. Russell wrote:
    > Wonder what the split is at the Foundation. I'm guessing there have to
    > be a few that are pretty disgusted.

    I thought the Foundation was a wholly owned subsidiary of
    ThomCo, just like USAC.

    Bob Schwartz

  6. "Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Curtis L. Russell wrote:
    >> Wonder what the split is at the Foundation. I'm guessing there have to
    >> be a few that are pretty disgusted.

    > I thought the Foundation was a wholly owned subsidiary of
    > ThomCo, just like USAC.
    >
    > Bob Schwartz

    potm yo

  7. Bill C

    Bill C Guest

    Richard Sachs wrote:
    > "Curtis L. Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:27:50 GMT, "Richard Sachs"
    > > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >

    > >>"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >>news:[email protected]
    > >>>

    > >>i'm still waiting to hear what the ochomaniacs
    > >>feel will be the positive to come from all this.
    > >>

    > > Are they allowed by Och to post on rbr? That would require that they
    > > frequent an uncontrolled (if not untrolled) environment.
    > >
    > > Curtis L. Russell
    > > Odenton, MD (USA)
    > > Just someone on two wheels...

    > i guess what i mean is - is there anyone from amongst
    > the licensed rider group that can support the bs that
    > went down last week? gerard seems to have the support
    > of everyone except the foundation guys.

    And he earned it with me at least. I ripped the shit out of his being
    given the job here, and them as a whole. He e-mailed me and we had one
    hell of an "interesting" discussion, that came down to "Give me a
    chance and see what happens.". We've corresponded from time to time
    after that, and talked on some issues. He was everything he said he was
    going to be, with the exception of the Amber Neben deal. Maybe we can
    finally get the truth about that.
    I'm pretty tough to convince, and pretty cynical, but he definitely
    made one hell of an effort, and mostly succeeded in living up to what
    he said he was going to do. He brought some really good people on
    board, and like him, they are accessible to us rabble when we need
    something.
    Bill C

  8. "Bill C" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Richard Sachs wrote:
    >> i guess what i mean is - is there anyone from amongst
    >> the licensed rider group that can support the bs that
    >> went down last week? gerard seems to have the support
    >> of everyone except the foundation guys.

    > And he earned it with me at least. I ripped the shit out of his being
    > given the job here, and them as a whole. He e-mailed me and we had one
    > hell of an "interesting" discussion, that came down to "Give me a
    > chance and see what happens.". We've corresponded from time to time
    > after that, and talked on some issues. He was everything he said he was
    > going to be, with the exception of the Amber Neben deal. Maybe we can
    > finally get the truth about that.
    > I'm pretty tough to convince, and pretty cynical, but he definitely
    > made one hell of an effort, and mostly succeeded in living up to what
    > he said he was going to do. He brought some really good people on
    > board, and like him, they are accessible to us rabble when we need
    > something.
    > Bill C

    did you get that mass email mailing from steve johnson an hour ago?

  9. Bill C

    Bill C Guest

    Richard Sachs wrote:
    > "Bill C" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > Richard Sachs wrote:
    > >> i guess what i mean is - is there anyone from amongst
    > >> the licensed rider group that can support the bs that
    > >> went down last week? gerard seems to have the support
    > >> of everyone except the foundation guys.

    > > And he earned it with me at least. I ripped the shit out of his being
    > > given the job here, and them as a whole. He e-mailed me and we had one
    > > hell of an "interesting" discussion, that came down to "Give me a
    > > chance and see what happens.". We've corresponded from time to time
    > > after that, and talked on some issues. He was everything he said he was
    > > going to be, with the exception of the Amber Neben deal. Maybe we can
    > > finally get the truth about that.
    > > I'm pretty tough to convince, and pretty cynical, but he definitely
    > > made one hell of an effort, and mostly succeeded in living up to what
    > > he said he was going to do. He brought some really good people on
    > > board, and like him, they are accessible to us rabble when we need
    > > something.
    > > Bill C
    > >

    > did you get that mass email mailing from steve johnson an hour ago?

    No, but I just sent off my renewal before this broke, since I'm still
    not racing, or working until next week at UVM.
    Anything interesting or just more BS?
    Bill C

  10. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 12:51:16 -0500, Bob Schwartz
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Richard Sachs wrote:
    >> "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>> http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/9724.0.html
    >>>

    >> i'm still waiting to hear what the ochomaniacs
    >> feel will be the positive to come from all this.

    >Anyone remember this? This is what he said the last
    >time there was a purge:
    >
    >http://truesport.com/Bike/1999/usacrebut2.htm
    >
    >JAMES L. OCHOWICZ, USPRO "What an unbelievable opportunity
    >we all now have to grow the sport of cycling into the next
    >century. The new by-laws enable USA Cycling to better serve
    >the needs of its membership, rather than its own self
    >interests. USA Cycling, its staff and leadership can now
    >focus its time and energy in a productive manner to benefit
    >all its members, sponsors and affiliates. "

    That reads just like the email I got today.

    Yada, yada ya ya yah.

    Ron

  11. alan_atwood

    alan_atwood Guest

    I have to go get my computer sanitzed; it smells like bullshit after
    getting that e-mail.

    Alan

  12. Bill C wrote:
    > Anything interesting or just more BS?

    Here it is. I sent a response back to the originating email
    ([email protected]). Wonder if a human reads it.

    **

    Dear Fellow Cyclists,

    In light of the recent change in management at USA Cycling, I would
    like to assure all of you that we intend to stay the course with our
    current programs and will continue to work on many new, exciting
    programs and member benefits. The real strength of USA Cycling comes
    from you, our members, working together with your Local Associations
    and promoters, along with our dedicated staff, to grow and improve
    American cycling. In fact, many of the recent improvements, from the
    Local Association and NORBA promoter incentive programs to the
    enhancements of the website to the creation of effective new athlete
    programs, have been staff-driven initiatives. Over the past few
    years, USA Cycling has augmented the staff, encouraged their creativity
    and supported their ideas in order to serve you better.

    As someone who has been intimately involved in all of the changes you
    have seen over the past several years, I can assure you that I am
    absolutely committed to supporting you - the members of USA Cycling -
    and expanding all of the great programs you have come to know and
    appreciate. I firmly believe the management of local cycling belongs
    and should remain with the local cycling community working with your
    Local Associations and Promoter Groups; that continuing to seed and
    support the grassroots and lowering the barriers to participation in
    our sport is essential to our continued success; that the success of
    American athletes at the top-levels of International cycling across all
    disciplines fuels excitement in our sport and drives participation at
    every level; that Collegiate Cycling is a tremendously important and
    untapped opportunity to identify the next generation of cycling
    champions while creating thousands of life-long participants; and that
    the continued development of our programs for women, juniors, masters,
    officials, coaches and mechanics will be critical to the growth of
    American cycling.

    I also happen to believe that cycling is the greatest sport in the
    world. I have been a cycling competitor, enthusiast and consumer for
    over 30 years and have participated in virtually every aspect of our
    sport. I would like you to know that I will do everything that I can
    to ensure that American cycling continues to thrive and grow; and it is
    to that end that I pledge my absolute commitment.

    In the days ahead, I look forward to working together with you to grow
    this, the world's greatest sport!

    Steve Johnson, Acting CEO

  13. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    He makes a cogent argument why USAC is not needed at all at the local level.