Het Volk and Kuurne-B-K : the weather

Van Hoorebeeck

Guest
Right now there's 5-15 cms snow around Ghent. Current weather will continue through the weekend:
max. 3°C, and periods of more snowfall.

Yesterday several teams cancelled their training ride on the Het Volk course because they considered
it too dangerous.

I only remember one occasion when Het Volk was cancelled because of the weather.

"Van Hoorebeeck Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> Right now there's 5-15 cms snow around Ghent. Current weather will continue through the weekend:
> max. 3°C, and periods of more snowfall.

It's pretty heavy out there and I can't see it clearing in a hurry (caveat: this is Belgium so
the sun could come out at any moment). They would have to run a snow plough over the whole
parcours or I can't see the peloton making it around the first corner. That said, people are
still riding to work in
it.

> Yesterday several teams cancelled their training ride on the Het Volk course because they
> considered it too dangerous.

Yesterday I got in 2 hours in sunny conditions on dry roads(!) between snowstorms. I think I
was lucky.

> I only remember one occasion when Het Volk was cancelled because of the weather.

1960 and 1986 ?

Jeff

Jeff Jones schreef:

> That said, people are still riding to work in it.

almost fell once I got off the bicycle.

> > I only remember one occasion when Het Volk was cancelled because of the weather.
> >
> 1960 and 1986 ?

Not being born by 1960 and not being dead before 1986 makes the latter the correct answer.

Van Hoorebeeck Bart <[email protected]> writes:

> Jeff Jones schreef:
>
>> That said, people are still riding to work in it.
>
> almost fell once I got off the bicycle.
>
>> > I only remember one occasion when Het Volk was cancelled because of the weather.
>> >
>> 1960 and 1986 ?
>
> Not being born by 1960 and not being dead before 1986 makes the latter the correct answer.

Are you Bragging? Or Complaining?

--
le Vent a Dos Davey Crockett Six-Day site: http://members.rogers.com/sixday/sixday.html

where's hampsten when you need him. he could finish in those conditions.

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, JTN wrote:
> where's hampsten when you need him. he could finish in those conditions.

Quiet. It's just about snowing over here.

Sergio Pisa

Cacel them? I'll have to back and recheck the definition of flahute. -Mike

"Jeff Jones" <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Van Hoorebeeck Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Right now there's 5-15 cms snow around Ghent. Current weather will continue through the weekend:
> > max. 3°C, and periods of more snowfall.
> >
> It's pretty heavy out there and I can't see it clearing in a hurry
(caveat:
> this is Belgium so the sun could come out at any moment). They would have
> run a snow plough over the whole parcours or I can't see the peloton
making
> it around the first corner. That said, people are still riding to work in
> it.
>
> > Yesterday several teams cancelled their training ride on the Het Volk course because they
> > considered it too dangerous.
> >
> Yesterday I got in 2 hours in sunny conditions on dry roads(!) between snowstorms. I think I
> was lucky.
>
> > I only remember one occasion when Het Volk was cancelled because of the weather.
> >
> 1960 and 1986 ?
>
> Jeff

> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, JTN wrote:
>> where's hampsten when you need him. he could finish in those conditions.

However, Breukink would win.

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, benjo maso wrote:
> Or Charly Gaul.

Great memories, Benjo!

Sergio Pisa

> > conditions.
> > > However, Breukink would win.
> > Not if Hinault were riding.
> Or Charly Gaul.

Even Ercole Baldini made it, once.

Sergio Pisa

"Sergio SERVADIO" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, benjo maso wrote:
> > Or Charly Gaul.
>
> Great memories, Benjo!

Absolutely! Merano-Trento 1965 is the most amazing bad weather raid of the last 50 years.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=1186

"At the end of the 16th stage, all seems lost for Luxemburg's Charly Gaul. Despite winning 2 stages,
he is only 24th and more than 15 minutes behind on leader Fornara. Then comes this memorable 8th of
June, the last Dolomite stage from Merano to Trente. It rains and it is very, very cold when Charly
Gaul attacks in the climb in the Rolle, where he reaches the top with a 2 minutes lead. But in the
dangerous downhill part, his brakes do not function, and he is forced to use his feet to reduce
speed. He is passed by most other favourites, and loses more than 6 minutes on them. But then rain
and cold affect rider after rider: Padovan, Monti, Defillipis, Fornara, ... they all bend and then
break. Rain has now changed into snow, but nothing can stop Charly Gaul, who catches rider after
rider, and finally wins this historic stage more than 8 minutes ahead of Fantini. He will win the
Giro 2 days later".

Or better (but in Italian):

http://www.team2002aurorarsm.org/morris.htm

Benjo Maso

"Sergio SERVADIO" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> > > conditions.
> > > Not if Hinault were riding.
> > Or Charly Gaul.
>
> Even Ercole Baldini made it, once.

When? I know only that he finished second in a terrible stage with the finish on the Passo Rolle in
the Giro of '62.

Benjo Maso

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, benjo maso wrote:
> > Great memories, Benjo!
> Absolutely! Merano-Trento 1965 is the most amazing bad weather raid of the last 50 years.

Great site, Benjo.

Let me, before anyone jumps on you, point out a slight misprint. We were a bit younger when it
all happened.

Sergio Pisa

"Sergio SERVADIO" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, benjo maso wrote:
> > > Great memories, Benjo!
> > Absolutely! Merano-Trento 1965 is the most amazing bad weather raid of
the
> > last 50 years.
>
> Great site, Benjo.
>
> Let me, before anyone jumps on you, point out a slight misprint. We were a bit younger when it all
> happened.

I stand corrected!

benjo

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, benjo maso wrote:
> "Sergio SERVADIO" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Even Ercole Baldini made it, once.
> When? I know only that he finished second in a terrible stage with the finish on the Passo Rolle
> in the Giro of '62.

That's exactly the stage I meant. I recall watching it on TV, though only the crossing of the finish
line was shown.

Baldini either had or gained the pink jersey, that day. Somehow I had in mind that he had also won
the stage, but I take your word that he didn't.

Thank you, again.

Sergio Pisa

"Sergio SERVADIO" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, benjo maso wrote:
> > "Sergio SERVADIO" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > Even Ercole Baldini made it, once.
> > When? I know only that he finished second in a terrible stage with the finish on the Passo Rolle
> > in the Giro of '62.
>
> That's exactly the stage I meant. I recall watching it on TV, though only the crossing of the
> finish line was shown.
>
> Baldini either had or gained the pink jersey, that day. Somehow I had in mind that he had also won
> the stage, but I take your word that he didn't.

I'm afraid it wasn't Baldini, but Graziano Battistini who gained the pink jersey that day (see
http://www.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=1289&p=2&stid=7997604). By the way, the track of the Giro
wasn't very friendly for Baldini that year: no time trial! He still finished 7th, but otherwise ...

Benjo