Hetchins Spyder track bike (1972)

Rick wrote:
> eBay: http://easyurl.net/Hetchins_Spyder

Odd. It's a pretty bike, but there are some things about this
description that strike me as odd. For one, wooden rims in 1972? I was
racing in 1972, and I certainly never saw anyone with wooden rims. As
close to it we had were the Scheeren (sp?) Weltmeister rims with balsa
wood to hold the rim's shape at the spoke holes.

On the other hand, bladed spokes were also not around in '72. So these
wheels seem to be a mix of eras.

The one-bolt seatpost was also later, and I don't think it was a track
part. The pedals are at least within the timeframe (barely), but are
road pedals.

For a bike that was "ridden once at the World Championships", why would
the fork be drilled for a brake?

--

David L. Johnson

It is probable that television drama of high caliber and produced by
first-rate artists will materially raise the level of dramatic taste
in the nation.
-- David Sarnoff, 1939

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Rick wrote:
> > eBay: http://easyurl.net/Hetchins_Spyder

> Odd. It's a pretty bike, but there are some things about this
> description that strike me as odd. For one, wooden rims in 1972? I was
> racing in 1972, and I certainly never saw anyone with wooden rims. As
> close to it we had were the Scheeren (sp?) Weltmeister rims with balsa
> wood to hold the rim's shape at the spoke holes.
>
> On the other hand, bladed spokes were also not around in '72. So these
> wheels seem to be a mix of eras.
>
> The one-bolt seatpost was also later, and I don't think it was a track
> part. The pedals are at least within the timeframe (barely), but are
> road pedals.
>
> For a bike that was "ridden once at the World Championships", why would
> the fork be drilled for a brake?

To lighten it a bit? <G,D&R>

newsgroups if possible).

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Rick wrote:
> > eBay: http://easyurl.net/Hetchins_Spyder

> Odd. It's a pretty bike, but there are some things about this
> description that strike me as odd. For one, wooden rims in 1972? I was
> racing in 1972, and I certainly never saw anyone with wooden rims. As

Maybe a track-only thing? I have no idea; I was 12 at that time.

> close to it we had were the Scheeren (sp?) Weltmeister rims with balsa
> wood to hold the rim's shape at the spoke holes.
>
> On the other hand, bladed spokes were also not around in '72. So these
> wheels seem to be a mix of eras.
>
> The one-bolt seatpost was also later, and I don't think it was a track

That seatpost and saddle clamp look very similar to the one on my bike
from around that time, unless you're saying that *Campy* didn't have one
like that.

> part. The pedals are at least within the timeframe (barely), but are
> road pedals.
>
> For a bike that was "ridden once at the World Championships", why would
> the fork be drilled for a brake?

I took that "ridden once..." phrase to be referring to the rims, and not
the rest of the bike.

newsgroups if possible).

David Kerber wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>> Rick wrote:
>>> eBay: http://easyurl.net/Hetchins_Spyder

>> Odd. It's a pretty bike, but there are some things about this
>> description that strike me as odd. For one, wooden rims in 1972? I was
>> racing in 1972, and I certainly never saw anyone with wooden rims. As

> Maybe a track-only thing? I have no idea; I was 12 at that time.

I was riding track at the time. Wooden rims would have been quite a
sight. The only ones I saw from that time were from collections of old
bikes.

>> The one-bolt seatpost was also later, and I don't think it was a track

> That seatpost and saddle clamp look very similar to the one on my bike
> from around that time, unless you're saying that *Campy* didn't have one
> like that.

That is what I meant. I have two Campy seatposts from roughly that era,
one track, one road. Both are 2-bolt.

> I took that "ridden once..." phrase to be referring to the rims, and not
> the rest of the bike.

Maybe, but it seems like this bike was built up from someone's parts
bin. If so, over $1000 seems a bit steep.

--

David L. Johnson

A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems.
-- Paul Erdos