HEW Cyclassics - ProTour (WAKE UP !)

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by whiteboytrash, Jul 31, 2005.

1. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Whilst all of you are still bitching if Lance's is on the gear or not there is another great race on today the HEW Cyclassics...... any tips.... I think Di Luca or Bonnen can take to add more to there ProTour points........ Ullrich is racing but would be a little tired and it’s raining..... any thoughts ?

Tags:

2. thebluetrain

thebluetrain New Member

Cyclingnews.com has a live feed for those unfortunate ones that dont get live coverage.

3. nonameboy

nonameboy New Member

pozzatto won.

4. MJtje

MJtje New Member

Nice race, and very weird that the peloton closed a gap of 8 min in 28 km!!!!!!! That's amazing fast.......or Hoste and Ludewig just ran out of gas! Either way nice win for Quickstep........and what was Ullrich trying to do? He should have attacked in the last km's...........it was obvious he wouldn't win if he stayed in the group......he probably didn't have the legs.....

5. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

He looked (Ullrich) way to tired.... I think he needs some time off before the D-Tour.... nice win for Quickstep... is there not a one day race they can't win ?

Nice ride by Allan Davies as well... I think he will be one to watch next year..... or even at this years Worlds if he gets a spot the aussie team......

6. nonameboy

nonameboy New Member

and i think the weather afected ullrich a lot.

7. Ullefan

Ullefan New Member

What? No more classics on eurosport? :confused:

8. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

He finished up there but he should of tried something in the last couple of kms.... he was never going to win a bunch sprint and he missed the final move........ he may win the worlds as its a bumpy course suiting a strongman..... be good to see Ullrich in the rainbow jersey winning the TDF next year..........

9. nonameboy

nonameboy New Member

what are you talking about?

10. Ullefan

Ullefan New Member

Eurosport aren't showing any more classics, no hew, no san sebastian, no zurich, what a travesty. What the hell is the tour of benelux? Who cares? We want to see classics and Deutschland tour. :(

11. nonameboy

nonameboy New Member

i agree with you.

12. oely

oely New Member

I dont at all. The race has something to offer. Of course the riders make the race but Im interested to see it. There will be talent on offer. Theres a prologue, some flat stages, some hilly climbing stages and a 26 odd km TT thrown in. Something for everyone. The stages will be taking in some parts of the LBL and Amstel hills too. I wouldnt discount this race so fast. Looking at the start lists and because its ProTour its interesting to see theres even Spanish teams with riders who could produce winning candidates for a small stage race in windy Belgium and The Netherlands!

Besides good weather or not HEW has hardly shown itself to be such a great spectacle.

13. Ullefan

Ullefan New Member

Tour of Benelux Be = Beligum, Ne = Netherlands, Lu = Luxembourg?
    Course you would like it being from the Netherlands, but I expect this to be as boring as the tour of Belgium, flat stages and terrible weather. Normally this would appeal to me in April, but not in August. Eurosport buys this because it's cheap, not because it's something cycling fans think is worth watching. It's like showing a division one football match when there's cup final on. :cool:

14. Dead Star

Dead Star New Member

why the hell did fassa choose Cancellara for the win!? Flecha would've been better for the sprint surely? He's won the GP Zürich in a sprint and what's Cancellara done apart from TT kirsipuu to death at Paris-Nice? :D

and a very lame excuse that you're not interested in the race because you don't get live coverage. I don't have eurosport so i don't have live coverage to pretty much any race except the tdf, but i still follow all the other big races.

15. MJtje

MJtje New Member

Oke for you then: saturday is partly the course of the amstel and sunday is just a re-run of liege-bastogne-liege!!!!!!! Don't think those are flat stages......haha only part of Netherlands and Belgium were there are hills: ardennes!

And it start with a prologue (t. dekker??) and ends with a TT.........will be a nice race!

16. oely

oely New Member

Well im not Dutch, nor am i going to see the race live and i really dont by and large enjoy the races like Tour of Belgium or the old Netherlands Tour either. I dont have a bias at all. Your conclusion there is as stupid as me saying "yeah you probably only want to watch HEW and the Tour of Germany because going by your name, your an Ullrich fan and know he will race there." Maybe why the ProTour is a good thing is because they want to get rid of some old mentalities, like that a race in the lowland countries must only exist in April and never any other month. Through a little research and some unbiased thought, you will find they arent all flat stages at all. Like Mtje just pointed out they go through parts of Amstel Gold and LBL, you think these are flat? With that one eye open maybe you have a differant idea of what a hill is. There is alot of potential for a great race, you just dont want to see that, thats ok. I suggest you open both eyes and realise like it or not, cycling changes. Such sinners those race organisers, putting on a stage race in Belgium and Holland outside the month of April.

17. Ullefan

Ullefan New Member

>Your conclusion there is as stupid as me saying "yeah you probably only want to watch HEW and the Tour of Germany because going by your name, your an Ullrich fan and know he will race there."

No, that would be smart.

>Maybe why the ProTour is a good thing is because they want to get rid of some old mentalities, like that a race in the lowland countries must only exist in April and never any other month.

Agreed.

>Through a little research and some unbiased thought, you will find they arent all flat stages at all. Like Mtje just pointed out they go through parts of Amstel Gold and LBL, you think these are flat? With that one eye open maybe you have a differant idea of what a hill is.

The riders make the race, not the roads.

>There is alot of potential for a great race, you just dont want to see that, thats ok. I suggest you open both eyes and realise like it or not, cycling changes.

We'll see how exciting this race is.

18. MJtje

MJtje New Member

Look if you don't like watching the amstel and liege then it will be for you a very boring race, but each year the race explodes in the weekend when Boogerd attacks in the hills in Limburg and the ardennes........that's exciting! And the rest are sprint stages........9/10 they will go to petacchi, however to make it exciting for you he fractured his hand so will his team control and will petacchi be good enough??????????????

And will T. dekker show something (he was btw the best of the rabo squad in the HEW classic, says enough at 20 years old!!!!!)

Not to forget it's very different racing in Holland then most countries with the wind and very few trees or whatever.......

19. Ullefan

Ullefan New Member

All i'm saying is that it doesn't rank up there compared to the classics this month or even the De tour. I don't find flat racing all that excillerating.

20. oely

oely New Member

Ok I will align myself with your way of thinking and be sure to generalise in future.

Of course. Alot of riders might not be in condition for it, whether it be tired from the Tour or getting some racing days as prep for the rest of the season. I was merely highlighting that the race is not all flat. The hills are there for the riders to make the race.

I am not saying it will be. The ingredients are all there for the differant riders to make a go of it though. Besides what has to happen for it to be considered exciting in your eyes? Jan is not taking part. Therefore it cannot be exciting can it? Im just generalising with you now.