Hewletts Gulch, CO pictures

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Natas Lived, May 26, 2003.

  1. Natas Lived

    Natas Lived Guest

    Tags:

  2. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

  3. Natas Lived

    Natas Lived Guest

    "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Natas Lived" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > http://home.earthlink.net/~jmsfrmn/Hewllits%20Gulch.htm
    > >
    > > Something like 17 creek crossings. That is one way. You hit them all
    > again
    > > on the way out.
    > >

    > Sounds like fun. I particularly liked this shot: http://home.earthlink.net/~jmsfrmn/SVI_0022.jpg
    >
    > It's now my wallpaper.
    >
    > Where is Hewletts Gulch?
    >
    > Matt

    It is a little bit north of Ft Collins Colorado
    http://www.mtbr.com/trails/Colorado/HewlettsGulch.html

    I'm not sure what happened with that shot. I though that it looked neat though. Glad you liked it.

    James

  4. Tom Purvis

    Tom Purvis Guest

    "Natas Lived" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > http://home.earthlink.net/~jmsfrmn/Hewllits%20Gulch.htm
    >
    > Something like 17 creek crossings. That is one way. You hit them all again on the way out.

    That was the first real off-road ride I ever did, on a borrowed SR mtb. Musta been '87. We called it
    '21 Creeks' (or '21 Creek Crossings' if you're not into the whole brevity thing). Nobody ever
    bothered to really count, but that was the name that stuck.

    When I lived in FC in the early 90's, that was where I broke my first bone mtb'ing (descending that
    rocky bit just above the last crossing upstream). Distal fracture of the clavicle. There have been
    so many e-room injuries since then, I've kinda lost track.

    Back when I had NoColo offroad cycling content on the web, I had full directions with a homemade
    .gif map to the trailhead.
    --
    Tom "memories, from the corners of our lives" Purvis Salida, CO

  5. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

  6. "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Natas Lived" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > http://home.earthlink.net/~jmsfrmn/Hewllits%20Gulch.htm
    > >
    > > Something like 17 creek crossings. That is one way. You hit them all
    > again
    > > on the way out.
    > >

    > Sounds like fun. I particularly liked this shot: http://home.earthlink.net/~jmsfrmn/SVI_0022.jpg
    >
    > It's now my wallpaper.
    >
    > Where is Hewletts Gulch?
    >
    > Matt

    It is west of Fort Collins/Loveland, not too far. I believe there is a review on MTBR.

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

  7. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Natas Lived" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > http://home.earthlink.net/~jmsfrmn/Hewllits%20Gulch.htm
    > >
    > > Something like 17 creek crossings. That is one way. You hit them all
    > again
    > > on the way out.
    > >

    > Sounds like fun. I particularly liked this shot: http://home.earthlink.net/~jmsfrmn/SVI_0022.jpg
    >
    > It's now my wallpaper.
    >
    > Where is Hewletts Gulch?
    >
    > Matt

    http://www.topozone.com

    JD heheheh

  8. Jd

    Jd Guest

    [email protected] (Tom Purvis) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Natas Lived" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > http://home.earthlink.net/~jmsfrmn/Hewllits%20Gulch.htm
    > >
    > > Something like 17 creek crossings. That is one way. You hit them all again on the way out.
    >
    > That was the first real off-road ride I ever did, on a borrowed SR mtb. Musta been '87. We called
    > it '21 Creeks' (or '21 Creek Crossings' if you're not into the whole brevity thing). Nobody ever
    > bothered to really count, but that was the name that stuck.
    >
    > When I lived in FC in the early 90's, that was where I broke my first bone mtb'ing (descending
    > that rocky bit just above the last crossing upstream). Distal fracture of the clavicle. There have
    > been so many e-room injuries since then, I've kinda lost track.
    >
    > Back when I had NoColo offroad cycling content on the web, I had full directions with a homemade
    > .gif map to the trailhead.

    How are things shaping up in your 'hood Tom? I know it'll be a while before the Crest opens up, but
    what about Buena Vista and other stuff in your AO?

    JD looking at the Unaweep stuff here lately

  9. Tom Purvis

    Tom Purvis Guest

    [email protected] (JD) wrote:
    > [email protected] (Tom Purvis) wrote:
    > > "Natas Lived" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > > ...Something like 17 creek crossings. That is one way. You hit them all again on the way out.
    > >
    > > That was the first real off-road ride I ever did, on a borrowed SR mtb. Musta been '87. We
    > > called it '21 Creeks' (or '21 Creek Crossings' if you're not into the whole brevity thing)...

    > How are things shaping up in your 'hood Tom? I know it'll be a while before the Crest opens up,
    > but what about Buena Vista and other stuff in your AO?

    Pretty much open below 10K. I was up on a lovely bit of singletrack traversing a wooded north-facing
    slope between 9 and 10K on Sunday. Buttah. All the little seasonal creeks are raging, so there's
    plenty of leg-soaking fun crossings, and the aspen leaves have that lime- green color 'cause they're
    brand new.

    Checked out the CO trail south of Mt Princeton on Monday. Not just open but downright dry. I'm sure
    it's all clear from hwy 50 to BV.

    Lemme know if you're going to be this way. There's plenty riding open.
    --
    Tom Purvis - http://www.arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/ Salida, CO

  10. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    http://home.earthlink.net/~jmsfrmn/SVI_0022.jpg

    Is this someone's bad hair-do?

    --
    - Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

    "Tom Purvis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Natas Lived" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > http://home.earthlink.net/~jmsfrmn/Hewllits%20Gulch.htm
    > >
    > > Something like 17 creek crossings. That is one way. You hit them all again on the way out.
    >
    > That was the first real off-road ride I ever did, on a borrowed SR mtb. Musta been '87. We called
    > it '21 Creeks' (or '21 Creek Crossings' if you're not into the whole brevity thing). Nobody ever
    > bothered to really count, but that was the name that stuck.
    >
    > When I lived in FC in the early 90's, that was where I broke my first bone mtb'ing (descending
    > that rocky bit just above the last crossing upstream). Distal fracture of the clavicle. There have
    > been so many e-room injuries since then, I've kinda lost track.
    >
    > Back when I had NoColo offroad cycling content on the web, I had full directions with a homemade
    > .gif map to the trailhead.
    > --
    > Tom "memories, from the corners of our lives" Purvis Salida, CO

  11. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "Tom Purvis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... <snip>
    > Lemme know if you're going to be this way. There's plenty riding open.
    > --

    Let me know too. Maybe I can get a day pass and join in the fun!

    Matt

    Not far from:
    > Salida, CO

  12. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

  13. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Tom Purvis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]... <snip>
    > > Lemme know if you're going to be this way. There's plenty riding open.
    > > --
    >
    > Let me know too. Maybe I can get a day pass and join in the fun!

    You know that's the truth, homey. The local high stuff is finally opening up here, so this weekend
    will be spent up there for sure.

    JD

  14. Glenn Dowdy

    Glenn Dowdy Guest

    "Natas Lived" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > http://home.earthlink.net/~jmsfrmn/Hewllits%20Gulch.htm
    >
    > Something like 17 creek crossings. That is one way. You hit them all
    again
    > on the way out.

    I road Hewlett's last weekend, and Young's Gulch the week before that. Youngs had more water moving
    faster, and _36_ crossings up and down, averaging 12" deep with the current masking the baby heads.
    Hewlett's was definitely more rideable. Both were good fun and surprisingly, the water was not
    snowmelt cold.

    When were you riding?

    Glenn D.

  15. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Glenn Dowdy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Natas Lived" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > http://home.earthlink.net/~jmsfrmn/Hewllits%20Gulch.htm
    > >
    > > Something like 17 creek crossings. That is one way. You hit them all
    > again
    > > on the way out.
    > >
    > I road Hewlett's last weekend, and Young's Gulch the week before that. Youngs had more water
    > moving faster, and _36_ crossings up and down, averaging 12" deep with the current masking the
    > baby heads. Hewlett's was definitely more rideable. Both were good fun and surprisingly, the water
    > was not snowmelt cold.
    >
    > When were you riding?

    Look what the cat dragged in. Now gimme a beer.

    JD

  16. Glenn Dowdy

    Glenn Dowdy Guest

    > Look what the cat dragged in. Now gimme a beer.

    [Checks fridge]

    You can have a Shiner, an Odell's Levity or a Sunshine Wheat. Come get it. The local liquor store is
    giving away a Shiner Bock mountain bike. I said I'd never ride a hardtail again, but this one is
    pretty darn cool looking.

    Glenn d.

  17. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Glenn Dowdy" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > Look what the cat dragged in. Now gimme a beer.
    > >
    > [Checks fridge]
    >
    > You can have a Shiner, an Odell's Levity or a Sunshine Wheat. Come get it. The local liquor store
    > is giving away a Shiner Bock mountain bike. I said I'd never ride a hardtail again, but this one
    > is pretty darn cool looking.

    Well, if I70 was not closed, I may have jetted over for a beer, some riding and a chance at winning
    a free bike. What else is there?

    JD

  18. Glenn Dowdy

    Glenn Dowdy Guest

    > "Glenn Dowdy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >

    > > > Look what the cat dragged in. Now gimme a beer.
    > > >
    > > [Checks fridge]
    > >
    > > You can have a Shiner, an Odell's Levity or a Sunshine Wheat. Come get
    it.
    > > The local liquor store is giving away a Shiner Bock mountain bike. I
    said
    > > I'd never ride a hardtail again, but this one is pretty darn cool
    looking.

    > Well, if I70 was not closed, I may have jetted over for a beer, some riding and a chance at
    > winning a free bike. What else is there?

    You could put on some big ol' tires and lower your seat; then head to Vail and jump the sinkhole,
    Dood. That would rawk!

    Glenn D.

  19. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Glenn Dowdy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > "Glenn Dowdy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    > > > [Checks fridge]
    > > >
    > > > You can have a Shiner, an Odell's Levity or a Sunshine Wheat. Come get
    > it.
    > > > The local liquor store is giving away a Shiner Bock mountain bike. I
    > said
    > > > I'd never ride a hardtail again, but this one is pretty darn cool
    > looking.
    > >
    > > Well, if I70 was not closed, I may have jetted over for a beer, some riding and a chance at
    > > winning a free bike. What else is there?
    > >
    > You could put on some big ol' tires and lower your seat; then head to Vail and jump the sinkhole,
    > Dood. That would rawk!

    Totally!

    JD

  20. Notaknob