Hey Becky...

Vo2

Aug 11, 2001
Welcome to the forums! I see that apart from cycling, you can cook too? I'm a bit of a amateur chef meself (or I try to be, let's put it that way). So what's your speciality?

Uhhhh...Becky? HELLO? Anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me... :rolleyes:

Cooking for a living sux:eek:
I've been a chef since '95 and am looking for the light at the end of the tunnel....

What's your specialty dish VO2?
Mines Thai Beef Salad and Tom Yum soup....

Are you a pro chef, rokeMS?
I do a Strawberry and Mascarpone Cheesecake covered with a raspberry coulie that will make you weep.
Seared Ostrich fillet sitting on a bed of cous-cous with a pepper sauce that will knock your socks off.

you think cooking suxs try being in food manufacturing, i'm posting this from work at 2330 and i've still got 6 hrs to go!!!!

and of course we manufacture deep frying fat and margarine so the place smells awful

now where's the puking smilie....

haha
Well after we finish with the oil it goes into make-up
Kissey kissey:rolleyes:

yeah I'm a "pro" VO2. even though these days you only need to know how to operate a can opener and a microwave
Ostrich huh? In ballarat huh? Nise.
One of my favs along with the pepper sauce mm mm.

bring on the qwik thread!!
:D

you don't want to know what we do to it BEFORE it gets to restaraunts.....

"manafacture" can be translated in sooo many ways:eek:

do tell....

I've got some horror kitchen stories too!;)

alright i hope no one is eating while they read this...you have been warned

We manufacture 65000 tons a year of margarine, deep frying oil, pastry shortening, biscuit shortening etc

we get raw materials like vegetable oils, palm, palm kernel and coconut in road tankers and stick them in storage.

we also get raw animal tallow which comes from heated and pressed animal scraps from butchers and abatoirs. when this comes on site it is a funny brown colour and it stinks like a BBQ grill left to go rancid for a week or so.

then we blend the fats and oils in huge tanks, then we bleach them by mixing them with special dirt, carbon and acid mmmmm tasty.

we also harden oils to different melting points, like our artery cloggin palm oil that melts at 65 degrees Celsius. this stuff is like white concrete.

after bleaching we have to deodorise the oils to get rid of the taste and smell. then its off to the factory onsite to get squirted into tubs or buckets or out in tankers for bulk.

at the end of a shift your clothes smell like fat and your skin is all greasy and my job isn't even all that messy, i sit in a lab most of the shift or in front of a computer.

trust me you haven't seen gross until you've seen 30 tons of raw tallow being pumped out of a truck

Yummy!

I like Peanut Butter. Please tell me they use a different process to make peanut butter. Please?

i don't know what they do to peanut butter

if we want peanut flavour we get it out of a bottle

Most kitchens go with the "10 second rule". The times can vary from kitchen to kitchen.
Basically if you drop something on the floor and you pick it up before 10secs is up - serve it!

We once got the ***** up with a manager in a hotel so we crumbed him a piece of cardboard and used it as a chicken parmagaina. We made his side salad out of stuff from a bin. He came back and had eaten most of it. "The chicken was a bit dry....":D

When he ordered steak - we had a qwik game of kictchen football if ya get my drift!

Food fights with raw eggs and cream always get messy.

mmm chocolate mousse on tap.

I shudder at the thought of all the little "extras" that waiters and chefs have dished up with my meals at restaurants.
I believe that you never send food back to the kitchen if you are dissatisfied with it. They probably always add a little "something extra" the second time around. Rather leave it and walk out. RokeMS's reply is a good example. :eek:

The lights are on, but nobody's home. Maybe she's cooking, or gardening?

Originally posted by Vo2
The lights are on, but nobody's home. Maybe she's cooking, or gardening?

I take it you know becky? cause if you dont, this is a pretty strange thread :D except for Duckwah's post about what he has for lunch each day :cool:

cheers!

What the hell does Becky have to do with this??:D

One day a customer asked for a refund on a 3/4 eaten steak. It was an open kitchen and the customer could see the chef. The chef gave the waiter a straw and said" Give this to the guy, tell him to stick it up his ass and suck. The amount of steak he gets out will be amount he gets back.
Nice.
Said customer paid bill and left....

Originally posted by roKeMS
What the hell does Becky have to do with this??:D

One day a customer asked for a refund on a 3/4 eaten steak. It was an open kitchen and the customer could see the chef. The chef gave the waiter a straw and said" Give this to the guy, tell him to stick it up his ass and suck. The amount of steak he gets out will be amount he gets back.
Nice.
Said customer paid bill and left....

HAHAHA thats a pisser man, I would have liked to see that!

Nice!

Now wait, you see this new member Becky joins and lists her/his interests as "Cycling, Spinning, Cooking & Wine!"...hence this thread. The rest is history...
I've always wondered why people join, but never post? We have over 800 members; half of them have never posted a single word. Beats me....