Hey Beth - You Out There ? Read This !

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Larry Raphael

End of April-PPTC's St. Michael's(MD)Weekend (my wife's also coming on this one) April or May-
Arranging a day for a local ride with people from work 1st weekend May - 5 Borough Bike NY Ride
w/old HS buddies Mid May - Shorebird Metric Century, Perdue Minor League Stadium, Salisbury, MD End
of May thru June 8th - Alaskan Bicycle Adventure's Bicycle Alaska Ride Fall'03 Seagull Century,
Salisbury, Md Fall'03 PPTCs Annual Natl Century and/or Cannonball Century,Fredericksburg, VA

Hey Beth ! A real long time ago, I had a bunch of questions for you regarding bike riding in Alaska.
My friend and I went on the Backroads Grand Canyon/Bryce Canyon/Zion Natl Park Ride but we had the
Alaska trip as one of our top three to choose from. Then about 1-2 years ago, I was ready to go on
another one of the tour rides and Alaska was looking promising. But my friend sandbagged me as the
time for signup was approaching.

Well - this year I told him I was going whether he went or not. So..I'm all paid up. Only thing
possibly upsetting a smooth start to all of this is that I am using frequent flyer mileage on United
Airlines. Already have the E-ticket. Just have to hope United hangs in there thru mid June !

(I plan on using a hybrid that the tour company provides for that ride.)

Larry Raphael Barcroft Dakota #002, Metallic Blue Oakton, Va

"Larry Raphael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... Hey Beth ! A real long time ago, I had a
bunch of questions for you
> regarding bike riding in Alaska. My friend and I went on the Backroads Grand Canyon/Bryce
> Canyon/Zion Natl Park Ride but we had the Alaska trip as one of our top three to choose from. Then
> about 1-2 years ago, I was ready to go on another one of the tour rides and Alaska was looking
> promising. But my friend sandbagged me as the time for signup was approaching.
>
> Well - this year I told him I was going whether he went or not. So..I'm all paid up. Only
> thing possibly upsetting a smooth start to all of this is that I am using frequent flyer
> mileage on United Airlines. Already have the E-ticket. Just have to hope United hangs in there
> thru mid June !

Hey Larry! That sounds great! Where will the tour take you? Will you be in anchorage at all?

> Hey Larry! That sounds great! Where will the tour take you? Will you be in anchorage at all?

Hi Beth,

You know I have been reading the postings every now and then on this Board but only recently started
posting responses again and was not aware that by changing the title the posting did not get saved
with the the others in the 2003 organized ride posting.

Anyway..... here's the itinerary: Starts in Anchorage on June 1st (Sunday)and we get shuttled part
of the way toward Denali. The ride ends the next Sunday, June 8th. The ride starts toward Mt.
McKinley & Denali and along the Nenana River, pass the Park Headquarters, enter the forest and then
continue on to Fairbanks. Down the Richardson Hwy to Delta Junction, Tanana River, Delta River
toward Isabel Pass. Ride along Summit Lake, pass Paxson Lake, drop into Copper River Basin. From
Glennallen, Pipin Lake and side trip to Wrangell Mtns and then to Chitina. Stop off at Wortington
Glacier and waterfalls of Keystone Canyon. Then to Valdez and back to Anchorage via a cruise boat on
the last day. It's something over 400 miles.

I am scheduled to arrive a few days early in Anchorage. I will probably take some things in locally,
maybe a hike and/or visit the Seward area.

I am getting real concerned about United Airlines. What with their Chapter 11, trying to recover and
a general downturn in business right now. I am hoping they do not start liquidating resources before
my trip. If it happens well in advance of my trip, well then I'll pay the bucks with another
carrier. Just don't want to get caught in a last week limbo scramble. Ha ! Larry

"Larry Raphael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Hey Larry! That sounds great! Where will the tour take you? Will you be in anchorage at all?
>
> Hi Beth,
>
> You know I have been reading the postings every now and then on this Board but only recently
> started posting responses again and was not aware that by changing the title the posting did not
> get saved with the the others in the 2003 organized ride posting.
>
> Anyway..... here's the itinerary: Starts in Anchorage on June 1st (Sunday)and we get shuttled part
> of the way toward Denali. The ride ends the next Sunday, June 8th. The ride starts toward Mt.
> McKinley & Denali and along the Nenana River, pass the Park Headquarters, enter the forest and
> then continue on to Fairbanks. Down the Richardson Hwy to Delta Junction, Tanana River, Delta
> River toward Isabel Pass. Ride along Summit Lake, pass Paxson Lake, drop into Copper River Basin.
> From Glennallen, Pipin Lake and side trip to Wrangell Mtns and then to Chitina. Stop off at
> Wortington Glacier and waterfalls of Keystone Canyon. Then to Valdez and back to Anchorage via a
> cruise boat on the last day. It's something over 400 miles.

i am familiar with all of those places - sounds like a really nice ride. its worth the weight
carrying a camera. but the climb around nenana is a freakin killer. i haven't dared to try it yet.
are you going to be riding an upright?

> I am scheduled to arrive a few days early in Anchorage. I will probably take some things in
> locally, maybe a hike and/or visit the Seward area.

You should borrow one of our bikes and take a ride with me. i will take you on the dreaded toodle of
anchorage. email me before you leave and we can get you my phone number.

> I am getting real concerned about United Airlines. What with their Chapter 11, trying to recover
> and a general downturn in business right now. I am hoping they do not start liquidating resources
> before my trip. If it happens well in advance of my trip, well then I'll pay the bucks with
> another carrier. Just don't want to get caught in a last week limbo scramble. Ha ! Larry

Beth,

I have a digital camera and was planning on bringing it. I do ride my recumbent most times these
days but I also have mountain bikes and the tour organizer includes hybrids in the tour cost.
So...in some ways , I would probably have a more relaxing trip if I did not have to worry about
shipping/lugging my recumbent there and I save some dough using their bike and they then service it
as well if it has any burps along the way. I probably will soon drag out my mountain bike and get
use to it's seat. It's got a real hard seat, probably harder than anything they will provide me.
I'll do that and perhaps also watch tv for a few hours each night while sitting on a 2X4 ! That will
help harden my butt a bit. LOL

I'll EMail you as I get closer to the date. I was not expecting to ride around Anchorage, given that
I will be riding consecutive days once the ride starts. Thought I woul hike around that Chugach area
or the paths leading out of downtown Anchorage. But....does sound nice to explore by bike. Larry

>
> i am familiar with all of those places - sounds like a really nice ride. its worth the weight
> carrying a camera. but the climb around nenana is a freakin killer. i haven't dared to try it yet.
> are you going to be riding an upright?
>
>
>
> > I am scheduled to arrive a few days early in Anchorage. I will probably take some things in
> > locally, maybe a hike and/or visit the Seward area.
>
> You should borrow one of our bikes and take a ride with me. i will take you on the dreaded toodle
> of anchorage. email me before you leave and we can get you my phone number.
>

Status
Not open for further replies.