Hey, Chalo (Euclid question)

!Jones

Guest
On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 00:02:26 -0000, in rec.bicycles.tech you said
something to the effect of:

>some of
>them [Euclid brakes] developed a feature that makes me like them better than the old
>kind. Many of them are now linear-pull instead of pulled by a
>straddle. Some of these brakes come with hardware kits that allow
>both kinds of cable setups.

I have looked in all of the old catelogs I could find and I don't see
any linear-pull info. I wonder if that was an option or something
someone "engineered". Do you have any more info?

One could certainly build that hardware... it wouldn't be difficult at
all. I wonder how the "pinch" pull would differ from the straddle
pull in terms of the physics involved. I think that, since I already
have the cable anchor made and in position, I'll probably keep the
straddle. Going to linear pull might force me to change levers!

Jones

On Oct 14, 6:38 pm, !Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 00:02:26 -0000, in rec.bicycles.tech you said
> something to the effect of:
>
> >some of
> >them [Euclid brakes] developed a feature that makes me like them better than the old
> >kind. Many of them are now linear-pull instead of pulled by a
> >straddle. Some of these brakes come with hardware kits that allow
> >both kinds of cable setups.

I meant some of the more recent freestyle U-brakes. None were linear-
pull in the U-braked MTB days as far as I know.

> I have looked in all of the old catelogs I could find and I don't see
> any linear-pull info. I wonder if that was an option or something
> someone "engineered". Do you have any more info?
>
> One could certainly build that hardware... it wouldn't be difficult at
> all. I wonder how the "pinch" pull would differ from the straddle
> pull in terms of the physics involved.

Straddles have a variable and falling rate depending on their angles
of divergence from the actuating cable. Linear-pull setups are
essentially fixed in leverage at very approximately 2:1 advantage.
Both of them work appropriately with cantilever-type brake levers but
not with V-brake type levers.

> I think that, since I already
> have the cable anchor made and in position, I'll probably keep the
> straddle. Going to linear pull might force me to change levers!

You can go either way with the levers you have now. I would decide
based on whether the noodle would get in the way of your feet (likely
on a kid-sized frame).

Chalo