Hey fatheads!!! Dr. Atkins was overweight, had heart problems: report

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Bill Case, Mar 1, 2004.

  1. Bill Case

    Bill Case Guest

    Dr. Atkins was overweight, had heart problems: report

    NEW YORK, Feb 10 (AFP) - A medical examiner's report into the death of Dr. Robert Atkins, whose
    diet has catapulted fat into fashion, indicated he had a history of heart failure, a US newspaper
    said Tuesday.

    The New York medical examiner's report into Atkins's death said he had a history of heart attack,
    congestive heart failure and hypertension, the Wall Street Journal said. Atkins weighed 258 pounds
    (117 kilograms) when he slipped on ice while walking to work in April of last year, the paper said.

    Tags:

  2. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    And this has what to do with the validity (or lack thereof) of this hypotheses?

    Jeff

  3. Mark D.

    Mark D. Guest

    "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > And this has what to do with the validity (or lack thereof) of this hypotheses?

    Logically, nothing; psycho-dynamically, everything. People are seizing upon this story because they
    can't cope with the various kinds of *anxiety* that Atkins and his work arouses within them.

    M.

  4. Curt

    Curt Guest

    As it has already been proven, the reason for Dr. Atkins weight gain was not due to his diet. Not
    much more to be said on the subject.

    Curt

    Free Email Newsletter: Click on the Link to Subscribe The best information to help you achieve
    optimal health Workouts, diet information, and special offers and more
    http://www.physicallyelite.com/newsletter.cfm

    "Bill Case" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Dr. Atkins was overweight, had heart problems: report
    >
    > NEW YORK, Feb 10 (AFP) - A medical examiner's report into the death of Dr. Robert Atkins, whose
    > diet has catapulted fat into fashion, indicated he had a history of heart failure, a US newspaper
    > said Tuesday.
    >
    > The New York medical examiner's report into Atkins's death said he had a history of heart attack,
    > congestive heart failure and hypertension, the Wall Street Journal said. Atkins weighed 258
    > pounds (117 kilograms) when he slipped on ice while walking to work in April of last year, the
    > paper said.

  5. Bill Case

    Bill Case Guest

    "Curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > As it has already been proven, the reason for Dr. Atkins weight gain was not due to his diet. Not
    > much more to be said on the subject.

    Sure fathead. Then it should be easy to come up with retractions from the papers that reported him
    weighing 258 AT the time of his accident.

    Only an imbecile thinks people increase their body weight by 1/3 (63 pds) due to fluids in the
    hospital. Also, his debating opponent stated that in recent years he saw Atkins when he was obese.

    Heart problems due to viral infaction? Sure, just coincidental that this rare disease hit Atkins the
    high fat advocate... sure sure.

    You're doing great blockage brain.. hahahahaahahahahahahaah . Have a scoop of lard on your double
    bacon cheesberger butter brain ahahahahahaha

    > Curt
    >
    > Free Email Newsletter: Click on the Link to Subscribe The best information to help you achieve
    > optimal health Workouts, diet information, and special offers and more
    > http://www.physicallyelite.com/newsletter.cfm
    >
    > "Bill Case" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Dr. Atkins was overweight, had heart problems: report
    > >
    > > NEW YORK, Feb 10 (AFP) - A medical examiner's report into the death of
    Dr.
    > > Robert Atkins, whose diet has catapulted fat into fashion, indicated he
    had
    > > a history of heart failure, a US newspaper said Tuesday.
    > >
    > > The New York medical examiner's report into Atkins's death said he had a history of heart
    > > attack, congestive heart failure and hypertension, the
    Wall
    > > Street Journal said. Atkins weighed 258 pounds (117 kilograms) when he slipped on ice while
    > > walking to work in April of last year, the paper said.

  6. Trent Duke

    Trent Duke Guest

    EXACTLY!!!

    Many people are still Atkins zealots regardless of the truth :(

    Trent

    -- Look and Feel Great! FREE weight loss and anti-aging group. Join now @

    > From: "Bill Case" <[email protected]> Organization: EarthLink Inc. -- http://www.EarthLink.net
    > Newsgroups: sci.med.nutrition Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 01:37:02 GMT Subject: Hey fatheads!!! Dr.
    > Atkins was overweight, had heart problems: report
    >
    > Dr. Atkins was overweight, had heart problems: report
    >
    > NEW YORK, Feb 10 (AFP) - A medical examiner's report into the death of Dr. Robert Atkins, whose
    > diet has catapulted fat into fashion, indicated he had a history of heart failure, a US newspaper
    > said Tuesday.
    >
    > The New York medical examiner's report into Atkins's death said he had a history of heart attack,
    > congestive heart failure and hypertension, the Wall Street Journal said. Atkins weighed 258
    > pounds (117 kilograms) when he slipped on ice while walking to work in April of last year, the
    > paper said.

  7. Pouta

    Pouta Guest

    Funny thing is, I have yet to see a cardiologist that isn't
    overweight either.

  8. Tcomeau

    Tcomeau Guest

    [email protected] (Pouta) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Funny thing is, I have yet to see a cardiologist that
    > isn't overweight either.

    Please don't feed the troll.

    TC

  9. Bill Case

    Bill Case Guest

    Atkins' diet can trigger gout Stephen Khan

    Diet plans that aim at shedding weight quickly can
    precipitate gout IN the nineteenth century it allowed
    cartoonists to poke fun at portly old gents with
    throbbing big toes. Now, however, gout is no laughing
    matter for a growing band of much younger men and
    women and the Atkins' diet may be behind some of the
    new cases.

    Rates of the incurable condition, once synonymous with
    outrageous, upper-class over-indulgence have more than
    doubled since the 1950s, in UK at least, and experts are
    predicting a further surge as more people enjoy excessive
    lifestyles at an early age.

    While carrying too much weight greatly increases the risk
    of gout, shedding weight quickly can also spark the
    condition. Rapid action weight loss plans such as the
    Atkins' diet, which cut out entire food groups, are already
    precipitating attacks.

    Gout strikes when uric acid builds up in the body to such an
    extent that the kidneys are unable to flush it out. The acid
    crystallises, then collects around joints. In 70 per cent of
    cases the first area hit is the big toe, to which crystals
    are drawn by gravity.

    Gout can cause excruciating pain and lack of mobility.
    Eventually, crystal build-up can wear down joints to such an
    extent that they are rendered useless.

    Famous victims of the arthritic condition include numerous
    Dickens characters along with real-life sufferers King Henry
    VIII, Alfred Lord Tennyson, Immanuel Kant, Samuel Johnson
    and Thomas Jefferson. Another, Benjamin Franklin, described
    it as an enemy which "would not only torment my body to
    death, but ruin my good name"- such was gout's association
    with alcohol.

    Ian Phillips doesn't drink any more. He's only 30, but the
    security guard at London-Heathrow airport has been plagued
    by gout for seven years. "I was 23 when it began," he said.
    "I thought I had a broken ankle, or perhaps a sprain. But
    the pain was too extreme for that. It went undiagnosed for
    four years. When the tests came in I couldn't believe it. I
    thought, 'How have I got gout? That's a disease rich old
    folk get.'" Phillips had a fairly stable diet and hadn't
    touched alcohol since the age of 20, but for four years
    beforehand he'd been in the Royal Navy and admits to having
    drunk heavily. Often, though, there is a hereditary factor
    and Phillips's grandfather was also a sufferer. When he was
    diagnosed, Phillips was teased by friends, but since then
    his condition has worsened and they have seen just how
    debilitating a condition it can be. "The pain is hard to
    describe. I'm a
    1.88-metre doorman and security guard, but it has had me
    in tears."

    "tcomeau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (Pouta) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Funny thing is, I have yet to see a cardiologist that
    > > isn't overweight
    either.