Hey Gemma!

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by flyingdutch, May 6, 2004.

  1. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Noice letter in the latest Australian Cyclist :D

    cant help you with the lend of 'Boras' tho

    (i wish!)

    Tags:

  2. "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Noice letter in the latest Australian Cyclist :D
    >
    > cant help you with the lend of 'Boras' tho
    >
    > (i wish!)

    Did the leter get published? I haven't seen it yet :) I will
    have to get myself a copy.....

  3. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    longest one in there

    damn mag has fuelled my lost desire to get hold of a tandem.
    just add it to the list...

  4. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
  5. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    saw that. quite possibly the dumbest bike imagineable IMHO
    made for thatrecent movie with the 2 joined twins, perhaps???
    :D

    wanna tandem for de family or maybe to see just how quick I can do round-the-bay. Dont think Im gonna get much quicker than last year's 7:09hours and seeing some guys absolutely flying along on a tandem might give me enough enthusiasm to do it again this year

  6. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    >Originally posted by flyingdutch
    >wanna tandem for de family or maybe to see just how quick I >can do round-the-bay. Dont think Im gonna get much quicker >than last year's 7:09hours and seeing some guys absolutely >flying along on a tandem might give me enough enthusiasm to >do it again this year

    No real interest in tandems myself <crowd gasps> but on
    a fixie.. hmm.. that would be really stupid! I'm keen ;-)

    Actually, after last year, unless someone wants me in their
    team (MickJ? You listening?) I would love to give it a miss.

    Maybe just go for a nice ride that day along Beach Rd. without
    the committment to the ATB?

    hippy

  7. Following on from my recent letter published in Australian
    Cyclist regarding the issues surrounding bicycle detection
    at loop actuated traffic signals - in the interests of
    science I have bought myself a pair of Zipp 404 Tubulars,
    with which I will check the actuation ability at some
    Adelaidian signals =)

    Well, that's one of many excuses for buying them!
    *grin* Gemma

  8. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Tubulars :eek:

    How prevalent are they nowadays?

    Are they more of a track thing...

  9. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    I don't recall seeing them on a bike that wasn't:
    a) a track bike or
    b) a pro bike

    But I'm sure some people are using them on the road, if only
    because they only have tubular wheels on their bike/s.
    They are too expensive nowadays IMHO to be practical for
    things like commuting or club racing...

    hippy

  10. Bluenose

    Bluenose Guest

    I'm sure Gemma will correct me if I'm wrong but I think she
    probably bought them for TT (maybe for the track, also?)

    Gemma is cycling mad and just lurvvv's buying anything
    cycling related.
    :) I only wish I had the $$$$$ to buy whatever I wanted.
    :I can but
    dream. :)

    Good on ya Gemster.

    hippy wrote:

    > flyingdutch wrote:
    > > Tubulars :eek: How prevalent are they nowadays? Are
    > > they more of a track thing...
    >
    > I don't recall seeing them on a bike that wasn't:
    > a) a track bike or
    > b) a pro bike
    >
    > But I'm sure some people are using them on the road, if
    > only because they only have tubular wheels on their
    > bike/s. They are too expensive nowadays IMHO to be
    > practical for things like commuting or club racing...
    >
    > hippy
    >
    > --

  11. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Gemma, will you marry me?

    Oh wait. Cancel that. already got one of those :rolleyes:

  12. "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > flyingdutch wrote:
    > > Tubulars :eek: How prevalent are they nowadays? Are
    > > they more of a track thing...
    >

    > I don't recall seeing them on a bike that wasn't:
    > a) a track bike or
    > b) a pro bike
    >
    > But I'm sure some people are using them on the road, if
    > only because they only have tubular wheels on their
    > bike/s. They are too expensive nowadays IMHO to be
    > practical for things like commuting or club racing...

    I have them both on my track bike and road bike, but racing
    wheels only on the road bike. They aren't dear to commute or
    train on (you can get cheap tubulars for under $40) but they
    definately are a pain in the arse when it comes to
    puncturing. I train on singles on the track, as punctures
    are very rare. I think you'd find they're still quite
    popular for club racing.... it's not always easy to spot a
    single! Really nice singles still feel way better than good
    clinchers IMHO.

    Gemma

  13. "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > flyingdutch wrote:
    > > Tubulars :eek: How prevalent are they nowadays? Are
    > > they more of a track thing...
    >

    > I don't recall seeing them on a bike that wasn't:
    > a) a track bike or
    > b) a pro bike
    >
    > But I'm sure some people are using them on the road, if
    > only because they only have tubular wheels on their
    > bike/s. They are too expensive nowadays IMHO to be
    > practical for things like commuting or club racing...
    >
    > hippy

    I regularly do long rides on my Spinergy tubulars just for
    the hell of it. Recently I did a 100 km ride with my Hed
    disk on the rear just for the joy of blasting along the
    road. Life is too short to leave your good stuff locked away
    in the shed.

    Marty "Couldn't give a stuff" Wallace