hey guys i'm no dummy but all this scientific stuff makes my eyes cross

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by eddiebrannan, Dec 2, 2003.

1. eddiebrannan

eddiebrannan New Member

anyone recommend a program or a book which'll just tell me how much to ride, when and how?

Tags:

2. Babbar

Babbar New Member

I don't think you really need a book, but, depending on your age, the only good one I know about is Cycling Past 50. It has some excellent suggestions and training tips and regimens that seem to be applicable to anyone regardless of age.

3. 2LAP

2LAP New Member

Get a basic sport science text rather than a coaching text.

Coaching texts tend to use terms like LT, VO2 max, etc. poorly. Sport science texts will give the correct definitions, limitations and uses of the different terms. Although, they don't have programs and direct cycling coaching advice to follow.

4. Max Merlin

Max Merlin New Member

I think I've found the best affordable program yet. Someone already mentioned the book "Cycling Past 50", which was written by Joe Friel. He's developed an online program which, with input from you, sets up a training plan for the entire year. It will accomodate people who just want to be fit all the way up to elite racing. Also there is a forum in which questions will be answered by coaches as well as other participants. It costs $120 to subscribe for a year with a one or two week free trial period.
    I don't usually advocate for businesses, but I'm starting my second year with these people and it's a good program. Go to www.trainingbible.com

Good luck,
    Max Merlin

5. dhk

dhk New Member

Lots of books are out there with training recommendations, depending on your personal goals. I recently picked up some books by Burke, Pavelka and Carmichael: Serious Cycling, Long Distance Cycling, and the Lance Armstrong Training Program.

If there is a local club you can ride with for race training or recreational rides, I'd strongly recommend that vs just training on your own. A personal coach would be great too, but I think getting out with other riders is the best way to make progress.

Dan