Hey how's it going?

Asa87

Feb 5, 2008
Im new here, as you can see. I just bought my first road bike, it is a specialized Allez Elite - It was highly recommended to me, and to be honest looked like the best buy for me. I am going to be travelling with my bike to work 15 miles each morning and 15 miles home each evening. The bike cost me £799.

A few quick questions:

What do you think of my new bike and the price i bought it at?

Should bikes be stored upside down or off the ground so there is no pressure on the tires?

I own a specialized tarmac, and love it. specialized is a very good company that i trust, although i've had no experiance w/ the allez. I'm not up to date on prices, so no help there sry. I store my bike inside my house in a good place where its safe (in a dry area w/ not much traffic) on its trainer, when not on its trainer, I just lean it on a wall, with some tire pressure in it so it doesn't constantly have 110 psi in it. but I wouldn't worry about there being too much pressure on the tires, just let out some air when your not riding so there isn't a ton of pressure on the tires all the time, not all the air out, but a good amount where the tires are a soft.

Cycler6n said:
I own a specialized tarmac, and love it. specialized is a very good company that i trust, although i've had no experiance w/ the allez. I'm not up to date on prices, so no help there sry. I store my bike inside my house in a good place where its safe (in a dry area w/ not much traffic) on its trainer, when not on its trainer, I just lean it on a wall, with some tire pressure in it so it doesn't constantly have 110 psi in it. but I wouldn't worry about there being too much pressure on the tires, just let out some air when your not riding so there isn't a ton of pressure on the tires all the time, not all the air out, but a good amount where the tires are a soft.
What is the theory behind reducing the tire pressure? Do you do the same with your car if you don't drive it for a while?

Tubes will naturally lose pressure (leak air), so there's no real need to bother with manually letting the air out. For 110psi, it only take a few days to drop down to 80psi or so. So why bother? If it was done on a daily basis, then the valve will likely to fail before anything adverse would happen to the tyre/tube.

So, don't bother.

Theoretically, stressed rubber will deteriorate faster. But that's a pretty long time.

waldowales said:
What is the theory behind reducing the tire pressure? Do you do the same with your car if you don't drive it for a while?
right, I'll just go ahead and leave 110 psi in my tires ALL the time so that the cords get all nice and stretched out:D Do you put 110 psi in you car tires?