Hey! It's a "Follis".

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Methuselah, Mar 8, 2004.

  1. Methuselah

    Methuselah Guest

    On another thread I mentioned this old ten-speed that has
    been hanging on the garage wall since the late '70's. I had
    not looked at it for decades, and incorrectly thought it was
    a peugot. I took a look at it tonight because I had intended
    to leave it out for the trash last night and forgot to.
    Noticing the fancy ferrules, etc.. I took a second look: It
    appears to be a Follis 472 or some model very similar.
    Should I keep it? All I recall is that we hated the seat so
    much we considered it unrideable at the time.

    Tags:

  2. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Methuselah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On another thread I mentioned this old ten-speed that
    > has been hanging on the garage wall since the late
    > '70's. I had not looked at it for decades, and
    > incorrectly thought it was a peugot. I took a look at it
    > tonight because I had intended to leave it out for the
    > trash last night and forgot to. Noticing the fancy
    > ferrules, etc.. I took a second look: It appears to be a
    > Follis 472 or some model very similar. Should I keep it?
    > All I recall is that we hated the seat so much we
    > considered it unrideable at the time.

    You can try selling it on the Classic Rondezvous
    http://www.classicrendezvous.com/forsale.htm

  3. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Mon, 08 Mar 2004 20:20:55 -0500,
    <[email protected]>, Methuselah
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >It appears to be a Follis 472 or some model very similar.
    >Should I keep it?

    Sounds like a keeper to me. Model 472: Reynolds 531, Nervex
    lugs, Mafac brakes, Campagnolo derailleurs, Stronglight mod.
    99 cranks....
    --
    zk

  4. On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 18:13:43 -0800, Zoot Katz <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Mon, 08 Mar 2004 20:20:55 -0500,
    ><[email protected]>, Methuselah
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>It appears to be a Follis 472 or some model very similar.
    >>Should I keep it?
    >
    >Sounds like a keeper to me. Model 472: Reynolds 531, Nervex
    >lugs, Mafac brakes, Campagnolo derailleurs, Stronglight
    >mod. 99 cranks....

    Yow. Yow. Yow.

    Sounds like all Mr. Methuselah needed was a patient friend
    with some spanners and allen keys back in the day. Narrow
    saddles are not evil; bad saddle positioning is evil.

    Pretty sounding bike. Pictures?

    -Luigi

  5. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 20:20:55 -0500, Methuselah
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >etc.. I took a second look: It appears to be a Follis 472
    >or some model very similar. Should I keep it? All I recall
    >is that we hated the seat so much we considered it
    >unrideable at the time.

    I can't imagine having given up on the investment so easily
    then, and now you could certainly resume trying to get an
    appropriate fit.

    If adjusting the height, tilt, and position of the saddle
    and handlebars doesn't suffice, then a new saddle will
    probably do the trick. Those old road bikes can ride quite
    pleasantly, and quickly.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  6. "Zoot Katz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Mon, 08 Mar 2004 20:20:55 -0500,
    > <[email protected]>, Methuselah
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >It appears to be a Follis 472 or some model very similar.
    > >Should I keep it?
    >
    > Sounds like a keeper to me. Model 472: Reynolds 531,
    > Nervex lugs, Mafac brakes, Campagnolo derailleurs,
    > Stronglight mod. 99 cranks....
    > --
    > zk

    This sounds like a pretty cool bike. It may even be lighter
    than your new one. You should keep it and use it to learn
    how the bike works - if you fail to fix something, it's
    okay, because your regular bike is waiting!

  7. Cheg

    Cheg Guest

    "Methuselah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > It appears to be a Follis 472 or some model very similar.
    > Should I keep it? All I recall is that we hated the seat
    > so much we considered it unrideable at the time.

    Sounds like a nice bike. I have a Raleigh International from
    the same era that I ride very often, but not with the
    original brick-like saddle. It is wonderful how the
    technology of seats has improved in the last 30 years. Many
    bike shops will lend you a seat for a couple of days until
    you find one you like. I like the Velo VL-6037 slotted,
    elastomer sprung seats so much that I have 3 of them for
    different bikes, but YMMV.

  8. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

  9. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

  10. Methuselah

    Methuselah Guest

    >> >Pretty sounding bike. Pictures?
    >>
    >> http://www.classicrendezvous.com/France/Follis/follis_mo-
    >> del_472.htm
    >
    >Nice bike!

    That's it, even to the color! Wow, that was close. If I had
    not forgotten Rubbish Day it would have been gone. This
    needs thought.

    As I recall (Remember, it has been hanging on the garage
    wall for nearly thirty years) it was basically that damned
    seat it came with. I bought it used at a yard sale and never
    paid attention to what it was till we bought these two
    Specialized's. The seat was horrible; So much so that we
    wrote off the bike as unridable, with a LOT of expletives
    about the SICK SICK MASOCHISTIC deviant that designed that
    seat that resembled an inverted ice skate. Neither my wife
    nor I could tolerate a mile with it; She wrapped it in a
    towel, before we gave up on it. Amazing how a bad seat can
    ruin a bicycle which we now have found out is supposed to be
    a very good one! This went beyond adjustments, really; What
    were people thinking back then? That sitting on the edge of
    a board had anything at all to do with human anatomy??? It
    must be difficult to design a seat that is

  11. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

  12. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Tue, 09 Mar 2004 16:50:14 -0500,
    <[email protected]>,
    Methuselah <[email protected]> wrote:

    > That sitting on the edge of a board had anything at all to
    > do with human anatomy??

    The saddle is designed to support your "sit bones" or
    "ischial tuberosities".

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html

    Mark the above site. It's often referenced and most
    answers can be found there. Answers for questions you've
    not yet imagined.
    --
    zk

  13. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    "Methuselah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I keep it? All I recall is that we hated the seat so much
    > we considered it unrideable at the time.

    From the others posters, it's clear it's worth something.
    Whether it's worth something to you, or whether its a
    r.b.marketplace or Ebay item is your next question.

    What's the size of the frame? 25 inches by any chance? ;)

  14. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Specialized just happens to make a very comfortable series
    of saddles at an affordable price. Many of them are seen on
    both Road and Touring bikes.

    Tom

    "Methuselah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On another thread I mentioned this old ten-speed that has
    > been hanging on the garage wall since the late '70's. I
    > had not looked at it for

  15. Methuselah

    Methuselah Guest

    >What's the size of the frame? 25 inches by any chance? ;)
    The wheel rims are 25" diameter. Hey, I don't know anything
    about bikes. Yet. The tires are conventional rim-locking
    types, just as any other bike I have had...someone asked
    about lace-on types. I do not know what those are. The tires
    are SKINNY, with brownish yellow sidwalls.

  16. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Methuselah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > The wheel rims are 25" diameter. Hey, I don't know
    > anything about bikes.Yet.

    The wheels are probably but not necessarily 700c. They could
    be 27". It will say on the tire.

    > The tires are conventional rim-locking types, just as any
    > other bike I have had...someone asked about lace-on types.
    > I do not know what those are. The tires are SKINNY, with
    > brownish yellow sidwalls.

    Truthfully you aren't the sort of person that could
    appreciate a Follis. There aren't even that many collectors
    that would.

    Get some good pictures of it and put it up on classic bike
    rondezvous and sell it. You can ask there about what it's
    worth but it is probably worth a couple of hundred unless
    it's too far gone.