Hey Lance

Bro Deal said:
It is a contest to see which will be dropped first on the climbs. I am tipping Cav to win this contest.

Armstrong must have forgotten his blood bags this year.
Armstrong should take in serious consideration riding on broom. He could have easily finished today closer to Cavendish than to Contador.
He can enjoy the Tour now, as he intended before the race. He can take a bus for joyride.

slovakguy said:
don't be hating. did you see how much time l.a. put in cavendish? cav is finished.
Fair cop. I forgot about the race-within-a-race-within-a-race-within... We need a new jersey for that.

I love the sound of breaking glass
Deep into the night
I love the sound of its condition...

EoinC said:
Fair cop. I forgot about the race-within-a-race-within-a-race-within... We need a new jersey for that.

I love the sound of breaking glass
Deep into the night
I love the sound of its condition...
How about Ragged jersey?

I'm not going to kick two men when they're down.

Roadhouse : it is lucky for you, given today, that we didn't agree that bet.

As regards armstrong, many of us suggested that his return to cycling was bad.
Bad for the sport primarily.
Bad for him also.

Today, we saw a 39yo man and crack badly.
No shame in that - it happens in sport.

I'll bet the phonelines were red hot with US TV stations hoping and praying that he will remain in the race.
Understandable given the amount invested in both dollars and sentiment.

It's the old saying Tempus Fugit.

It's time for Lance to pack it up and go home; he won't even place in the top 20 this year. He's too old and he showed it today. But he should do well in the Senior Citizens Tour. So turn out the lights and don't let the door hit you in the arshe when you leave.

i'm getting really phucking tired of your sorry old 56 year old geriatric weak ass putting your senile old two dumbass cents in, you ain't sh!t so shut the phuck up.

roadhouse said:
i'm getting really phucking tired of your sorry old 56 year old geriatric weak ass putting your senile old two dumbass cents in, you ain't sh!t so shut the phuck up.

Ahh, the little baby can't take Lance losing.

No way is Lance going to win the tour, but dont be surpised to see him do very well in the coming stages. All the pressure of winning and doing good are gone now, he can just ride he has nothing to prove. It sucks all the bad luck he is having, but hopefully we can see him win a stage before the tour is done

Froze said:
Ahh, the little baby can't take Lance losing.

no, i can't stand some 56 year sh!t ass cracker first coming into my thread on my good friend dying, talking stupid sh!t then and then talking stupid sh!t about the 39 year old worlds best cyclist.

if you were in front of me, i'd break your arms for what you said in my friend thread so you would never be able to post again.

who the phuck are you, at your ancient life stone age, to come in here talking aout Lance as if you are anyone? what have you done for cycling? what have you done for anyone or anything other than post stupid sh!t? you ar a phucking joke and i would gladly beat your old clown ass down and not for your talking stupid about Lance, about you talking stupid about my friend.

the world would be a better place had it been you that lost your life that day.

phuck you.

roadhouse said:
no, i can't stand some 56 year sh!t ass cracker first coming into my thread on my good friend dying, talking stupid sh!t then and then talking stupid sh!t about the 39 year old worlds best cyclist.

if you were in front of me, i'd break your arms for what you said in my friend thread so you would never be able to post again.

Dude, I explained what happened and apologized about what I said concerning your friend. I can't help it if you can't forgive someone who said something dumb as I would forgive you or anyone else here who would have said something dumb to me and then apologized and apologize with no hard feelings...we all have a blond moment and that was mine.

As far as Lance goes, well live with it, I'm not apologizing because it's true, he should have retired last year and finished on a high note, but just like a lot of other big sports stars they finish on a losing note and look kind of foolish doing it. I agree, he's the best TDF racer ever and I liked him too for that, but he should have called it quits a year ago.

Now you reply with a bunch of childish racist colored metaphors and somehow think that will make you stand out to be more of man then I? You had your blond moment tonight.

limerickman said:
As regards armstrong, many of us suggested that his return to cycling was bad.
Bad for the sport primarily.
Bad for him also.

I'm not one to carry water for Lance, but he HAS had some ****-poor luck this tour....which as Liggett and Sherwen have pointed out, is probably balancing out his incredulous luck during his run of 7 straight wins (AND a podium after a 3-yr retirement).

I think his return is possibly a negative to some extent, given the dark cloud the Landis accusations bring; but bottom line is that "LA in the Tour" is bigger news here in the US than simply "Tour de France."

Yeah, he's 39; I didn't have him pegged for the podium, but I still wouldn't count him out from finishing in the top 10. Different era, but Poulidor was on the podium at 40.

Bottom line is that Armstrong's presence means a TREMENDOUS amount when it comes to general awareness of cycling in the US. As far as that goes, I personally probably wouldn't be embarrassing myself in cat-5 races on a semi-regular basis if Armstrong wasn't so prominent, so I have to give him a tip of the chapeau for that at least.

Chavez said:
Bottom line is that Armstrong's presence means a TREMENDOUS amount when it comes to general awareness of cycling in the US. As far as that goes,

While I agree with that statement, but is the USA just not as motivated for the cycling sport as Europe? When Greg Lemond won the Tour in 89 and 90 not much happened for the sport here, and what little did happened died off until Lance won. Now what will happen to the sport here in the US after Lance is forgotten and no US rider rises to the ranks for a few years? I have a feeling it will be the same as it was after Lemond was gone.

limerickman said:

No shame considering that there are 50 other riders and all but one is younger then Lance and of those at least half will crack worse then Lance. But I would have liked to have seen him quit on a high note as I would have wished Muhammad Ali would have done instead of fighting and losing to Larry Holmes then to Trevor Berbick in such a unprofessional fight they used a cow bell between rounds! And Lance should have listened to Ali when Ali said after his last fight: "We all lose sometimes, we all grow old".

roadhouse said:

LOL. The saddle sniffers are not taking Armstrong's demise with serenity. Just imagine the hissy fits when Armstrong does the perp walk.

Guess Armstrong forgot his blood bags.

I bet that Floyd Landis was laughing his ass off as he watched the boradcast.

Froze said:
While I agree with that statement, but is the USA just not as motivated for the cycling sport as Europe? When Greg Lemond won the Tour in 89 and 90 not much happened for the sport here, and what little did happened died off until Lance won. Now what will happen to the sport here in the US after Lance is forgotten and no US rider rises to the ranks for a few years? I have a feeling it will be the same as it was after Lemond was gone.
Hmmm, those are some interesting and fair questions....

Now, bear with me, as I'm kinda thinking on my feet here; but the "USA! USA! USA!" crowd will ALWAYS be fickle. I'm sure plenty of people who get misty about the Miracle on Ice probably haven't watched a hockey game in 20 yrs.

But comparing Armstrong to Lemond...I'd say his 3 wins piqued interest in cycling in the US, as did the exploits of the 7-11 Team.

But let's compare that with where the US stands now in cycling - 8 TdF winners in the past 12 yrs (counting Landis - yeah, he cheated but he was wearing yellow into Paris, so for propaganda purposes, it counts) and FOUR major cycling teams in the TdF (Garmin, HTC, BMC, and LanceShack). Not to mention several riders who are actual threats to post big-time wins - Leipheimer, Farrar, Zabriskie, Van de Velde, to name probably the 4 best US cyclists out there right now. I think the profile has been raised in cycling to where it is no longer the curiosity it was in Lemond's day; I think it now has a secure toehold as what I'd call a "niche sport"; FWIW I consider hockey to be a niche sport in the US - defined as having a small-but-rabid community of fans.

Now, ideally, I'd LOVE to have numbers to back that up as far as people holding USPro licenses and such, but I don't. Just my perception and opinion.

I'd love to hear your perspective back on that, but then we'd risk turning this thread into something interesting. :cool: