Hey Mike Dart...

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Slacker, Jun 18, 2003.

  1. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    Well, what happened with your Expert début?

    Don't even tell me you're wearing a cast!

    --
    Slacker

    Tags:

  2. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Well, what happened with your Expert début?
    >
    > Don't even tell me you're wearing a cast!
    >
    > --
    > Slacker

    I didn't move up. Got 1st place by 24 seconds in Sport and actually kinda feel bad about it. The guy
    I work with and share call rotation with (every other week) had back surgery and is out for a month.
    Then my wife is scheduled for surgery in July for female stuff and will be out of her work for a
    month. The last thing I needed was to be in a halo so I played it 'safe'. Just too much stuff going
    on in my head. I know, I suck! As it was, I clipped a pedal on a fireroad section going about 40mph
    and rode it out with both feet off the pedals until I slowed the bike enough to get back on.

    I did feel good about my friends son Jordan, who is now racing on his Bullit. (Dad is riding April's
    bike) He qualified and finished 2nd in his first Mountain Cross race. Then finished 3rd after
    passing 7 racers in his DH race with a time only 10-15 seconds slower than mine. He would've beat me
    if he didn't have all those riders in his way.

    It rained for most of the week so I don't have many pics to post. (none of the pros) It rained for
    the entire pro DH race and stopped just as the last rider crossed the line!

    Mike - sandbagger ;^\

  3. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > > Well, what happened with your Expert début?
    > >
    > > Don't even tell me you're wearing a cast!
    > >
    > > --
    > > Slacker
    > >

    > I didn't move up. Got 1st place by 24 seconds in Sport and actually kinda feel bad about it.

    Yeah sure, is that why you hung it right next to all your other medals!

    > The guy I work with and share call rotation with (every other week) had back surgery and is out
    > for a month. Then my wife is scheduled for surgery in July for female stuff and will be out of her
    > work for a month. The last thing I needed was to be in a halo so I played it 'safe'. Just too much
    > stuff going on in my head. I know, I suck! As it was, I clipped a pedal on a fireroad section
    > going about 40mph and rode it out with both feet off the pedals until I slowed the bike enough to
    > get back on.

    No, no, no.....you've been pussified too ;^ o

    > I did feel good about my friends son Jordan, who is now racing on his Bullit. (Dad is riding
    > April's bike) He qualified and finished 2nd in his first Mountain Cross race. Then finished 3rd
    > after passing 7 racers in his DH race with a time only 10-15 seconds slower than mine. He would've
    > beat me if he didn't have all those riders in his way.

    Right-on....sounds like Jordon is a real natural.

    > It rained for most of the week so I don't have many pics to post. (none of the pros) It rained for
    > the entire pro DH race and stopped just as the last rider crossed the line!
    >
    > Mike - sandbagger ;^\

    I heard it was pretty sloppy. Glad you made thru in one piece.

    --
    Slacker

  4. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > Well, what happened with your Expert début?
    > > >
    > > > Don't even tell me you're wearing a cast!
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Slacker
    > > >

    > > I didn't move up. Got 1st place by 24 seconds in Sport and actually
    kinda
    > > feel bad about it.
    >
    > Yeah sure, is that why you hung it right next to all your other medals!

    Damn straight! ;^) Still it's my last race as 'sport' class.

    > > The guy I work with and share call rotation with (every other week) had back surgery and is
    > > out for a month. Then my wife is scheduled for surgery in July for female stuff and will be
    > > out of her
    work
    > > for a month. The last thing I needed was to be in a halo so I played it 'safe'. Just too much
    > > stuff going on in my head. I know, I suck! As
    it
    > > was, I clipped a pedal on a fireroad section going about 40mph and rode
    it
    > > out with both feet off the pedals until I slowed the bike enough to get
    back
    > > on.
    >
    > No, no, no.....you've been pussified too ;^ o

    Responsibility has a way of doing that. I'll be back!

    > > I did feel good about my friends son Jordan, who is now racing on his Bullit. (Dad is riding
    > > April's bike) He qualified and finished 2nd in
    his
    > > first Mountain Cross race. Then finished 3rd after passing 7 racers in
    his
    > > DH race with a time only 10-15 seconds slower than mine. He would've
    beat
    > > me if he didn't have all those riders in his way.
    >
    > Right-on....sounds like Jordon is a real natural.

    Yes he is. We're very proud of him.

    > > It rained for most of the week so I don't have many pics to post. (none
    of
    > > the pros) It rained for the entire pro DH race and stopped just as the
    last
    > > rider crossed the line!
    > >
    > > Mike - sandbagger ;^\
    >

    > I heard it was pretty sloppy. Glad you made thru in one piece.

    Very sloppy. Landing a drop on a manicured lawn or paved parking lot is one thing, landing it on a
    greased rooty, rocky ski slope is entirely another! Thanks.

    Mike

  5. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > Well, what happened with your Expert début?
    > > >
    > > > Don't even tell me you're wearing a cast!
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Slacker
    > > >

    > > I didn't move up. Got 1st place by 24 seconds in Sport and actually
    kinda
    > > feel bad about it.
    >
    > Yeah sure, is that why you hung it right next to all your other medals!
    >
    > > The guy I work with and share call rotation with (every other week) had back surgery and is
    > > out for a month. Then my wife is scheduled for surgery in July for female stuff and will be
    > > out of her
    work
    > > for a month. The last thing I needed was to be in a halo so I played it 'safe'. Just too much
    > > stuff going on in my head. I know, I suck! As
    it
    > > was, I clipped a pedal on a fireroad section going about 40mph and rode
    it
    > > out with both feet off the pedals until I slowed the bike enough to get
    back
    > > on.
    >
    > No, no, no.....you've been pussified too ;^ o
    >
    > > I did feel good about my friends son Jordan, who is now racing on his Bullit. (Dad is riding
    > > April's bike) He qualified and finished 2nd in
    his
    > > first Mountain Cross race. Then finished 3rd after passing 7 racers in
    his
    > > DH race with a time only 10-15 seconds slower than mine. He would've
    beat
    > > me if he didn't have all those riders in his way.
    >
    > Right-on....sounds like Jordon is a real natural.
    >
    > > It rained for most of the week so I don't have many pics to post. (none
    of
    > > the pros) It rained for the entire pro DH race and stopped just as the
    last
    > > rider crossed the line!
    > >
    > > Mike - sandbagger ;^\
    >

    > I heard it was pretty sloppy. Glad you made thru in one piece.
    >
    > --
    > Slacker

    Here's some pics. Not much action except for Mikey Valach. I was either at practice, racing or
    it was raining whenever the pros were out so I didn't get the camera out much. But check out my
    new Bullit.

    http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/snowshoe_norba_2003

    Mike

  6. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > Here's some pics. Not much action except for Mikey Valach. I was either at practice, racing or
    > it was raining whenever the pros were out so I didn't get the camera out much. But check out my
    > new Bullit.
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/snowshoe_norba_2003
    >
    > Mike

    I just re-read that....."your Bullit" I thought it was Jordan's at first. Very sweet!!! Nice
    touch with the Evil....BTW, how do like it because I'm still trying to decide what to use on my
    future rig.

    Do you still have the twins?
    --
    Slacker

  7. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Here's some pics. Not much action except for Mikey Valach. I was
    either at
    > > practice, racing or it was raining whenever the pros were out so I
    didn't
    > > get the camera out much. But check out my new Bullit.
    > >
    > > http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/snowshoe_norba_2003
    > >
    > > Mike
    >

    > I just re-read that....."your Bullit" I thought it was Jordan's at first.
    Very sweet!!! Nice touch with the Evil....BTW, how do
    > like it because I'm still trying to decide what to use on my future rig.
    >
    > Do you still have the twins?
    > --
    > Slacker

    Thanks! It's an MRP LRP. I couldn't get an Evil DRS in time for my vacation week. The MRP works as
    is should and doesn't call attention to itself while riding. Pretty much all you can ask for in a
    chainguide. The only little problem is that it kicked the chainline out about 5mm which makes it
    bitch about being in the big-big combo on climbs but there is a 22-24 combo that works the same. The
    Evil's I've seen are pretty sweet and a good design so you can't go wrong there either. The plastic
    bash guard slides easily over obstacles without catching. They do crack, tough to do, but Evil will
    replace them if they do.

    I haven't weighed the bike (guessing 35-40lbs) but for a light DH capable bike it climbs great. The
    5th Element shock cancels out all pedal bob and you can feel it work when you take a hit. You get
    one oscillation of the suspension after the trail smooths out and it settles back into its
    'deadband' and stiffens up for pedaling. It also reacts immediately, unlike the Epic Brain where you
    feel half the first hit.

    Yeah the twins are still going. But the DHi is in pieces. It all started with the rear Hayes I
    loaned to Jordan for his bike after I broke his master cylinder. Then my friend needed the shock for
    his DHi while his was out for rebuild. Then I let Jordan borrow the Atom Lab stem for his Bullit.
    Then I cacked the rear mech on my M1. Then a expert racer from OH (a friend of Buzz's) broke his
    rear swingarm at the shock tower (where they all go) so I swapped mine out so he could race. Oh and
    the pedals went to the Bullit.

    On that Atom Lab stem for Jordan. Using the Marz. bolt on stem there isn't enough clamp area on the
    Marzocchi Super T top crown to hold the headset AND fork together with one 4mm bolt. It looks cool
    (read Moto) but doesn't do the job so a real stem is needed to hold everything together. I went with
    a RaceFace Diabolus on my Bullit.

    Mike

  8. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > > > Here's some pics. Not much action except for Mikey Valach. I was
    > either at
    > > > practice, racing or it was raining whenever the pros were out so I
    > didn't
    > > > get the camera out much. But check out my new Bullit.
    > > >
    > > > http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/snowshoe_norba_2003
    > > >
    > > > Mike
    > >

    > > I just re-read that....."your Bullit" I thought it was Jordan's at first.
    > Very sweet!!! Nice touch with the Evil....BTW, how do
    > > like it because I'm still trying to decide what to use on my future rig.
    > >
    > > Do you still have the twins?
    > > --
    > > Slacker
    > >

    > Thanks! It's an MRP LRP. I couldn't get an Evil DRS in time for my vacation week. The MRP works as
    > is should and doesn't call attention to itself while riding. Pretty much all you can ask for in a
    > chainguide. The only little problem is that it kicked the chainline out about 5mm which makes it
    > bitch about being in the big-big combo on climbs but there is a 22-24 combo that works the same.
    > The Evil's I've seen are pretty sweet and a good design so you can't go wrong there either. The
    > plastic bash guard slides easily over obstacles without catching. They do crack, tough to do, but
    > Evil will replace them if they do.
    >
    > I haven't weighed the bike (guessing 35-40lbs) but for a light DH capable bike it climbs great.
    > The 5th Element shock cancels out all pedal bob and you can feel it work when you take a hit. You
    > get one oscillation of the suspension after the trail smooths out and it settles back into its
    > 'deadband' and stiffens up for pedaling. It also reacts immediately, unlike the Epic Brain where
    > you feel half the first hit.
    >
    > Yeah the twins are still going. But the DHi is in pieces. It all started with the rear Hayes I
    > loaned to Jordan for his bike after I broke his master cylinder. Then my friend needed the shock
    > for his DHi while his was out for rebuild. Then I let Jordan borrow the Atom Lab stem for his
    > Bullit. Then I cacked the rear mech on my M1. Then a expert racer from OH (a friend of Buzz's)
    > broke his rear swingarm at the shock tower (where they all go) so I swapped mine out so he could
    > race. Oh and the pedals went to the Bullit.
    >
    > On that Atom Lab stem for Jordan. Using the Marz. bolt on stem there isn't enough clamp area on
    > the Marzocchi Super T top crown to hold the headset AND fork together with one 4mm bolt. It looks
    > cool (read Moto) but doesn't do the job so a real stem is needed to hold everything together. I
    > went with a RaceFace Diabolus on my Bullit.
    >
    > Mike

    Sheesh, you don't happen to have a spare DHR laying around you could send me ;^ ) I need to find a
    friend like you here in Socal!

    Did Intense ever supply you a replacement stay? This was the final deal breaker for what was to be
    my F4, no replaceable hanger.....IMHO, there's no good reason for a $2000+ frame not to have one.
    It's just lazing engineering in my opinion.

    Well now you've had experience on several good DH designs; the only other one I think you should try
    is the VPP. So, what are your thoughts the Horst/4-bar vs Single pivot deal?
    --
    Slacker

  9. Michael Dart

> [...]

    AND
    > > fork together with one 4mm bolt. It looks cool (read Moto) but doesn't
    do
    > > the job so a real stem is needed to hold everything together. I went
    with a
    > > RaceFace Diabolus on my Bullit.
    > >
    > > Mike
    >

    > Sheesh, you don't happen to have a spare DHR laying around you could send
    me ;^ ) I need to find a friend like you here in Socal!

    > Did Intense ever supply you a replacement stay? This was the final deal
    breaker for what was to be my F4, no replaceable
    > hanger.....IMHO, there's no good reason for a $2000+ frame not to have
    one. It's just lazing engineering in my opinion.

    > Well now you've had experience on several good DH designs; the only other
    one I think you should try is the VPP. So, what are your
    > thoughts the Horst/4-bar vs Single pivot deal?

    Hehehe...no. ;^)

    Yes last year. Intense has been very good about crash replacements. If you remember I bought a new
    strut from Intense at Mt. Snow and sent the bent one back for a crash replacement so now I have a
    spare. The '03 Intenses have replaceable hangers now. If I use up my spare I'll look into seeing if
    a '03 strut will fit on a '01 bike.

    Mikey Valach is riding a V10 this year and is very smooth on it. For one, it is the first bike he's
    had that fits him. But the design is very good. I like four bar designs but with the new shock
    technology such as the 5th element the single pivot is very rideable now. With the added benefit of
    less parts to maintain.

    Mike