Hey Pete (and how to survive a spin class)

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Penny S, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    Now that I have a crappy DSL instead of dial up... I"ve really been enjoying the videos.( you too
    Bill) What you do is you watch one before spin class... then you just close your eyes and visualize
    where you'd like to be. I'm thinking they need to put in a big screen and run bike video during
    class... royalties paid out to PF and MTB Bill of course.

    I got a real good laugh over someone pointing out all the dry mud chunks that had fallen out of my
    cleats and were under my bike.

    all the roadies are saying it's too icy to ride... I tell them hmm... trails stay tacky, ice is the
    least of the problems on dirt.

    Penny

    Tags:

  2. "penny s" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | Now that I have a crappy DSL instead of dial up... I"ve really been
    enjoying
    | the videos.( you too Bill) What you do is you watch one before spin class... then you just close
    your
    | eyes and visualize where you'd like to be. I'm thinking they need to put in a big screen and run
    | bike video during class... royalties paid out to PF and MTB Bill of
    course.

    I would pay to see the reactions of the "spinettes" and the other club patrons to some of the
    music choices.

    For instance:

    http://216.40.212.28/video/porcsingletrack.mpg

    http://216.40.212.28/video/sedona.mpg

    http://216.71.24.60/001/tuesday_ride.mpeg

    http://216.40.212.28/video/tahoe.mpg

  3. penny s wrote:
    > Now that I have a crappy DSL instead of dial up... I"ve really been enjoying the videos.( you too
    > Bill) What you do is you watch one before spin class... then you just close your eyes and
    > visualize where you'd like to be. I'm thinking they need to put in a big screen and run bike video
    > during class... royalties paid out to PF and MTB Bill of course.

    save them on your hard-drive of your laptop and play them back at your leisure

    > all the roadies are saying it's too icy to ride... I tell them hmm... trails stay tacky,

    untill it thaws and re-freezes

    >ice is the least of the problems on dirt.

    just wait till you hit an unexpected patch in the middle of a turn.

  4. Watimena

    Watimena Guest

    Move some where warm?

  5. Flyingcoyote

    Flyingcoyote Guest

    "penny s" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | Now that I have a crappy DSL instead of dial up... I"ve really been
    enjoying
    | the videos.( you too Bill) What you do is you watch one before spin class... then you just close
    | your eyes and visualize where you'd like to be. I'm thinking they need to put in a big screen and
    | run bike video during class... royalties paid out to PF and MTB Bill of
    course.

    | I got a real good laugh over someone pointing out all the dry mud chunks that had fallen out of my
    | cleats and were under my bike.
    |
    | all the roadies are saying it's too icy to ride... I tell them hmm...
    trails
    | stay tacky, ice is the least of the problems on dirt.
    |
    | Penny

    How are you liking the spinning classes so far?

    Last winter I joined a gym and used those cycling machines on days too wet to ride but never took
    the spinning classes. I'm thinking of doing the same this winter... need to stay in shape for next
    seasons early races.

    Alternately, my riding buddies are all trying to get me on a road bike. When I argued that I have to
    have dirt under my tires [if I'm on an actual bike] they then suggested Cyclocross... even the LBS's
    are nagging at me to get on their Cyclocross team. Heh. Funk that.

    --

    FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com

    --

  6. Bill Porter

    Bill Porter Guest

    On Wed, 4 Dec 2002 10:55:10 -0800, "penny s" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Now that I have a crappy DSL instead of dial up... I"ve really been enjoying the videos.( you too
    >Bill) What you do is you watch one before spin class... then you just close your eyes and visualize
    >where you'd like to be. I'm thinking they need to put in a big screen and run bike video during
    >class... royalties paid out to PF and MTB Bill of course.

    >Penny

    You are far too kind Penny, He He Now here is something to think about. Royalties off of videos
    featuring music downloaded via Napster(and all its cousins). Hmmm Think I'll use some Metallica in
    the next video :->

    Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

  7. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On 04 Dec 2002 19:01:58 GMT, "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"penny s" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >| Now that I have a crappy DSL instead of dial up... I"ve really been
    >enjoying
    >| the videos.( you too Bill) What you do is you watch one before spin class... then you just close
    >your
    >| eyes and visualize where you'd like to be. I'm thinking they need to put in a big screen and run
    >| bike video during class... royalties paid out to PF and MTB Bill of
    >course.
    >
    >I would pay to see the reactions of the "spinettes" and the other club patrons to some of the
    >music choices.
    >
    >For instance:
    >
    >http://216.40.212.28/video/porcsingletrack.mpg
    >
    >http://216.40.212.28/video/sedona.mpg
    >
    >http://216.71.24.60/001/tuesday_ride.mpeg
    >
    >http://216.40.212.28/video/tahoe.mpg

    Mountain Biking comes in so many different flavors. Very nice stuff out west.

    Have fun spinning Penny.

    :-]

  8. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    "Watimena" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Move some where warm?

    not a chance: spinning is just the filler between bike and ski season.

    (remember to quote...)

    Penny

  9. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    "FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote >
    > "penny s" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > | Now that I have a crappy DSL instead of dial up... I"ve really been
    > enjoying
    > | the videos.( you too Bill) What you do is you watch one before spin class... then you just close
    your
    > | eyes and visualize where you'd like to be. I'm thinking they need to put in a big screen and run
    > | bike video during class... royalties paid out to PF and MTB Bill of
    > course.
    > |> How are you liking the spinning classes so far?
    >
    > Last winter I joined a gym and used those cycling machines on days too wet to ride but never took
    > the spinning classes. I'm thinking of doing the
    same
    > this winter... need to stay in shape for next seasons early races.

    considering that I"d rather be outside, and that being a reformed gym rat I like to not spend any
    more time in there than I have to...

    I think spinning is a much better workout than plopping down on the life cycle, setting it to
    "Hillclimb 10" or what ever, opening a book ( guilty) and then just doing it. When you do that, or
    an elliptical trainer the mind's not connected and you are just going through the motions. At least
    with spinning I feel more connected to what I am doing. I really do use the power of visualizations
    ... whether it's a favorite long steady climb, or which rider I am trying to either keep up with or
    not let by. For me it's either visualize or go nuts.

    You have to be careful.... some of the "instructors" are pretty lame, and don't understand how
    grinding can really trash the knees. Or, their idea of a training rate (heart rate) may be really
    different that what you want/need. So it's a good idea to be aware of what *you* want to accomplish
    if anything, in that dept, and wear your own watch. And let's not talk about some of their taste in
    music, or some of the cheery voices. I check out the different instructors, and just go back to the
    ones that I can stand for an hour. I use it mainly for endurance training.

    Penny Say, Is Cinder Girl your SO? (just trying to put 2 and 2 together....)

    > Alternately, my riding buddies are all trying to get me on a road bike.
    When
    > I argued that I have to have dirt under my tires [if I'm on an actual
    bike]
    > they then suggested Cyclocross... even the LBS's are nagging at me to get
    on
    > their Cyclocross team. Heh. Funk that.
    >

    > --
    >
    > FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com
    >
    > --

  10. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    "Bill Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 4 Dec 2002 10:55:10 -0800, "penny s" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > >Now that I have a crappy DSL instead of dial up... I"ve really been
    enjoying
    > >the videos.( you too Bill) What you do is you watch one before spin class... then you just close
    your
    > >eyes and visualize where you'd like to be. I'm thinking they need to put in a big screen and run
    > >bike video during class... royalties paid out to PF and MTB Bill of
    course.

    > >Penny
    >
    > You are far too kind Penny, He He Now here is something to think about.
    Royalties off
    > of videos featuring music downloaded via Napster(and all its cousins).
    Hmmm Think I'll
    > use some Metallica in the next video :->

    I DO think along those lines, can't help it. Juat want to make sure you get credit for your hard
    work. I'd just hate to see the gym make anything off of
    it... I"m sure they would charge extra to attend such classes. I did, on anaother forum hear about a
    gym where they set the bike up in a "pack" aand were showing TDF footage... close but no cigar.

    penny
    > Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

  11. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    > On 04 Dec 2002 19:01:58 GMT, "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >"penny s" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...
    > >| Now that I have a crappy DSL instead of dial up... I"ve really been
    > >enjoying
    > >| the videos.( you too Bill) What you do is you watch one before spin class... then you just
    > >| close
    > >your
    > >| eyes and visualize where you'd like to be. I'm thinking they need to put in a big screen and
    run
    > >| bike video during class... royalties paid out to PF and MTB Bill of
    > >course.
    > >
    > >I would pay to see the reactions of the "spinettes" and the other club patrons to some of the
    > >music choices.
    > >
    > >For instance:
    > >
    > >http://216.40.212.28/video/porcsingletrack.mpg
    > >
    > >http://216.40.212.28/video/sedona.mpg
    > >
    > >http://216.71.24.60/001/tuesday_ride.mpeg
    > >
    > >http://216.40.212.28/video/tahoe.mpg
    > >

    > Mountain Biking comes in so many different flavors. Very nice stuff out west.
    >
    > Have fun spinning Penny.

    Right.

    It'd be way more fun with a wall size screen and Pet's video being shown.

    penny

  12. Flyingcoyote

    Flyingcoyote Guest

    "penny s" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > considering that I"d rather be outside, and that being a reformed gym rat
    > like to not spend any more time in there than I have to...

    Hah! I hear that!

    > I think spinning is a much better workout than plopping down on the life cycle, setting it to
    > "Hillclimb 10" or what ever, opening a book ( guilty) and then just doing it.

    Yep, that's what I did last winter when I couldn't ride the real thing.

    > You have to be careful.... some of the "instructors" are pretty lame, and don't understand how
    > grinding can really trash the knees. Or, their idea of a training rate (heart rate) may be really
    > different that what you
    want/need.
    > So it's a good idea to be aware of what *you* want to accomplish if anything, in that dept, and
    > wear your own watch. And let's not talk about some of their taste in music, or some of the cheery
    > voices. I check out
    the
    > different instructors, and just go back to the ones that I can stand for
    an
    > hour. I use it mainly for endurance training.

    Thanks for the input! If I decide to rejoin a gym, this will save me some time, I think.

    > Penny Say, Is Cinder Girl your SO? (just trying to put 2 and 2 together....)

    Nope. Erin (or sometimes Eve or Evelyn) is her /nic. She's either emailed or posted to you before
    (about fabrics, I think). She lurks here more than she posts. Mostly she hangs out in other ng's. :)

    --

    FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com

    --

  13. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

    "penny s" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Say, Is Cinder Girl your SO? (just trying to put 2 and 2 together....)

    Hmmmmmm ... where did that come from? My SO is a road biker with about 100 excuses for not getting
    on a mountain bike. I gave up on that a long time ago and just play in the dirt all by myself ;)

  14. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "penny s" wrote with Richard Simmons:

    > It'd be way more fun with a wall size screen and Pet's video being shown.
    >
    > penny

    I did a spin-class one winter, they kept the room nearly black, to free the imagination. But the
    music, which is a matter of taste, was always lousy and blaring. guess it got me angry enough to
    work hard.

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&frame=right&th=b02d9b8599a7df07&seekm=3-
    88364DB.FA7B6BD4%40nospamuswest.net#link1

    That's a humungo URL to a "ride report" I posted a couple years back. You might get a chuckle
    out of it.

    Paladin No longer spinning

  15. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "penny s" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > Say, Is Cinder Girl your SO? (just trying to put 2 and 2 together....)
    > >

    > Hmmmmmm ... where did that come from? My SO is a road biker with about 100 excuses for not getting
    > on a mountain bike. I gave up on that a long time ago and just play in the dirt all by myself ;)

    flying coyote is a East Bay biker with a SO who is a novice mtb-gal too.

  16. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My SO is a road biker with about 100 excuses for not getting on a mountain bike. I gave up on that
    >a long time ago and just play in the dirt all by myself ;)

    See, I been TELLIN' you guys that chicks dig roadies. Here's one o' your own who's gone over to the
    dark side. I suspect it's his rock-hard shaven legs that does it for her, but I'd never suggest that
    in public... ;-)

  17. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

    "penny s" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "penny s" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > Say, Is Cinder Girl your SO? (just trying to put 2 and 2
    together....)

    > > Hmmmmmm ... where did that come from? My SO is a road biker with about 100 excuses for not
    > > getting on a
    mountain
    > > bike. I gave up on that a long time ago and just play in the dirt all
    by
    > > myself ;)
    > >

    > flying coyote is a East Bay biker with a SO who is a novice mtb-gal too.

    Ahhhh. That makes sense. Good to know there are more east bay people in here ;)

  18. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

    > "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >My SO is a road biker with about 100 excuses for not getting on a
    mountain
    > >bike. I gave up on that a long time ago and just play in the dirt all by myself ;)
    >
    > See, I been TELLIN' you guys that chicks dig roadies. Here's one o' your own who's gone over to
    > the dark side. I suspect it's his rock-hard shaven legs that does it for her, but I'd never
    > suggest that in public... ;-)
    >
    > Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

    Nah. I used to make fun of roadies and if you would have told me I would end up married to one I
    would have died laughing. I though they were just too cute with their shades and nice clean sporty
    clothes clicking around in their clippy clip shoes. Too cute to take seriously that is.

    Now those guys I see out on the trails on the other hand .... oooooooooooo ... but I would never
    post that in public.

  19. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> See, I been TELLIN' you guys that chicks dig roadies. Here's one o' your own who's gone over to
    >> the dark side. I suspect it's his rock-hard shaven legs that does it for her, but I'd never
    >> suggest that in public... ;-)

    >Nah. I used to make fun of roadies and if you would have told me I would end up married to one I
    >would have died laughing. I though they were just too cute with their shades and nice clean sporty
    >clothes clicking around in their clippy clip shoes. Too cute to take seriously that is.
    >
    >Now those guys I see out on the trails on the other hand .... oooooooooooo ... but I would never
    >post that in public.

    I guess that proves the OTHER popular theory. Chicks DO dig scars. ;-)

  20. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

    > "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >"Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...
    > >> "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> See, I been TELLIN' you guys that chicks dig roadies. Here's one o' your own who's gone over to
    > >> the dark side. I suspect it's his rock-hard shaven legs that does it for her, but I'd never
    > >> suggest that in public... ;-)
    >
    > >Nah. I used to make fun of roadies and if you would have told me I would end up married to one I
    > >would have died laughing. I though they were
    just
    > >too cute with their shades and nice clean sporty clothes clicking around
    in
    > >their clippy clip shoes. Too cute to take seriously that is.
    > >
    > >Now those guys I see out on the trails on the other hand ....
    oooooooooooo
    > >... but I would never post that in public.
    >
    > I guess that proves the OTHER popular theory. Chicks DO dig scars. ;-)

    Oh yeah!!! And don't forget the mud, you guys are not the only ones who like the mud covered babes!