Hey Ric Stern

oneradtec

Jul 26, 2003
I am 36 yrs old..amateur cyclist. I have raced in the past but not at all in the past 2 years.

I have a 40 hour per week job but can manage to train 12-18 hours per week under optimal conditions.

I currently have a top of the line frame, wheelset, and groupset.

More to the point...I want to begin to take my cycling and training a bit more seriously....by that I mean that I want to get back into competition.

I would like to ask you how far you think I could go starting at my age of 36?

I have some goals in mind....perhaps to win the Master's National Time Trial here in the USA? or to get picked up by a top domestic based club here in the states. It would be a dream to get out there and do some of the top raceses here in the USA...such as the U.S. Pro race in Philadelphia or the TourdeGerorgia or some other big stage race on the U.S. calendar.

Genetically I think I'm very good. I can go from the back of the club rides(getting dropped) to the front riding with the fastest guys in 3 months. I can go from getting dropped in a crit to winning a crit with about three months of consistent training. I seem to adapt well to the training stresses and recover well...meaning that I tend to show progressive improvements the minute I start training and racing. My problem in the past has always been consistency. Whenever I start to go well I tend to lay off the bike a while and end up starting over again. This is the story of my life.

As I said..now I want to take a much more serious approach to the sport and try to find out the limits of my potential...wherever that leads me. I just want to maximize it and see where I go from here.

I know there have been some great riders that have done well while racing into their late 30's and early 40's and beyond. Perhaps you have heard of Kent Bostick? He's a domestic based racer here in the USA that made the U.S. Olympic team(individual pursuit) at age 43 by beating the reigning world champion during the '96 Olympic trials. He's still racing today in his early 50's at a very high level. Graeme Miller was racing at a very high level here in the states just a few years ago..while in his early 40's. There are a few other pro and elite cyclists going now that I could also use as inspiration. Bostick was still winning races here while in his mid to late 40's. I think he went back to the trials in 2000 but failed to make the cut that time at age 47.

so what do you think? Is it worth a go for me to make a serious run at becoming an elite cyclist?...or should I just stop wasting my time and enjoy myself?

I can provide more info upon request. Again...I think I'm very good genetically...But I have no idea the limits of that gift. I'd like to find out. I wish I was 22 yrs old but I'm not. I cannot change that fact as you know. That said..I'm a bit of a dreamer in a way. I believe that we are all capable of achieving extraordinary results in whatever we do.....if we only believe in ourselves. Who woulda ever thought that the USA hockey team woulda beat the Russians in the 1980 Olympics? The coach..Herb Brooks was a dreamer too. He believed that he could beat the Russians...and you know everyone thought he was crazy! Well, we know now that he ended up taking a team of mediocre college players to the Olympics and beating the best team in the world...the Soviets...for the gold medal.

Is my dream any crazier than Herb Brook's dream?

it's difficult to give an answer without knowing a lot more about you. certainly, with good quality training and coaching you'd expect to improve significantly. i can't say at this point whether that significant improvement would be enough to meet your goals or not. we'd need to look at some data.

i've heard of Kent, and there's plenty of other great cyclists who aren't in their 20's anymore. in the UK, we've got Malcolm Elliot, who after a long lay off has started back up again and is dominating the scene here. you've also got older riders like Sean Yates who still races and is still up there.

One things for certain though: if you don't have a go at trying to meet your goal, you'll never know whether you could have made the level you want or not. to quote someone else: better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all.

give it a go and see what happens, a coach such as myself will be able to guide you in the most efficient way, give me a shout at [email protected] or PM me,

cheers
ric