HHH 100 and the F-18

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Mrbubl, Aug 24, 2003.

  1. Mrbubl

    Mrbubl Guest

    For the 7000+ riders that were there plus all of the local community of Wichita Falls being
    schrafed(sp?) by two F-18's with sonic boom and all was TOO COOL........

    A little reminder again about the land of the free, home of the brave.......with lots of very cool
    toys, USAF had the coolest by far.

    See you next year.....7000 of our closest friends!

    mrbubl

    Tags:

  2. "mrbubl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > For the 7000+ riders that were there plus all of the local community of Wichita Falls being
    > schrafed(sp?) by two F-18's with sonic boom and all
    was
    > TOO COOL........
    >
    > A little reminder again about the land of the free, home of the brave.......with lots of very cool
    > toys, USAF had the coolest by far.

    7000 people on bikes is profound and great. It must have been an experience to remember, but no part
    of war or machines of death and destruction is glamorous or cool.

  3. Nobodyman

    Nobodyman Guest

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 20:48:23 GMT, "mrbubl" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >For the 7000+ riders that were there plus all of the local community of Wichita Falls being
    >schrafed(sp?) by two F-18's with sonic boom and all was TOO COOL........
    >
    >A little reminder again about the land of the free, home of the brave.......with lots of very cool
    >toys, USAF had the coolest by far.
    >
    >See you next year.....7000 of our closest friends!
    >
    >mrbubl

    Geez, the HHH is definitely going downhill. I lived in Wichita Falls for nine years (93-02) and only
    missed it once in 2000. I also rode it while I lived in San Antonio in 89, 91 and 92. It always had
    over 9,500 riders, and several years the numbers were well over 10,000 registered riders. Every
    since the move to the new course in 1995, attendance has started to go down.

    Only 7,000 this year? What a letdown! :)

  4. James Scott

    James Scott Guest

    "mrbubl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > For the 7000+ riders that were there plus all of the local community of Wichita Falls being
    > schrafed(sp?) by two F-18's with sonic boom and all was TOO COOL........

    Hmmm...I think strafing might be a little too hot even for the HHH
    100. Maybe just a high-speed pass?

    > A little reminder again about the land of the free, home of the brave.......with lots of very cool
    > toys, USAF had the coolest by far.

    While I agree about the USAF having cool planes, the F-18 is a Navy jet.

    ObRBR: Anybody else get their tires slashed along the Neponset River Trail last week? Grrr...

    JLS USAF 1994-2000

  5. Cleanbean

    Cleanbean Guest

    "mrbubl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > For the 7000+ riders that were there plus all of the local community of Wichita Falls being
    > schrafed(sp?) by two F-18's with sonic boom and all
    was
    > TOO COOL........
    >
    > A little reminder again about the land of the free, home of the brave.......with lots of very cool
    > toys, USAF had the coolest by far.
    >
    > See you next year.....7000 of our closest friends!
    >
    > mrbubl

    My 2 year old was very wide eyed when the jets passed. My wife and I pulled him on the 25mi. I
    thought the weather was rather cool at 7am and for at least a couple of hours.

    Mental note: Only stay at the YMCA if you are able to sleep comfortably anywhere. I only got 2-3
    hrs. sleep.

    John in Texas

  6. Chris H

    Chris H Guest

    John, Were you sleeping in the weight room, too? Who was snoring like a freight train in there?! And
    won't those the worst friggin' donuts you've ever eaten?? At least we got some free grub and
    Red-Bull wannabee spazz-drink! The commraderie was nice, too. Two anonymous strangers actually
    greeted me when I drove up, complimented my bike and offered to carry a bag in. Didn't even have to
    tip 'em! I'll be goin' back there next year since it's so convenient and cheap.

    Chris in Plano

    P.S.- Those were 2 T-38 trainer jets and the "sonic boom" was actually the starting cannon. But it
    was a fun way to start the ride!

  7. Privatelife

    Privatelife Guest

    Great ride...and cooler this year. 7,515 vs. 10,000...it still a major event. Are other rides
    getting smaller too? Maybe its a normal business cycle (no pun intended).

    My rituals, On Friday,Check in, See the Exhibits. Eat at the Olive Garden. On Saturday, Do the 100
    (actually 104ish). Take a nap for recovery. Go eat steak that evening.