Hi all - looking for rides around Sydney!

ToeCutter666 said:
Cheers artemidorus - but this circuit's longer and tougher than I'd like to tackle this trip, and sounds like it's a bit to much on-road for my liking. You must be in good physical knick if you're doing it though, and thanks for the info.

A quick question: I'm interested in the Bobbin Head area/loop (as it seems very scenically appealing), and want to know the two roads in/out are really as hilly as they look on the satellite. Can anyone shed any light?

Love this site!

There is a profile on this page from Turramurra Station to Hornsby and then to Mt Colah. downhill run to Bobbin Head, then climb to Turramurra Station.

http://www.bikenorth.org.au/cycling/rides/rides.php?ride=83

For route directions see the Cue Sheet.

Mike

mikeg said:
There is a profile on this page from Turramurra Station to Hornsby and then to Mt Colah. downhill run to Bobbin Head, then climb to Turramurra Station.

http://www.bikenorth.org.au/cycling/rides/rides.php?ride=83

For route directions see the Cue Sheet.

Mike
Superb! Just what I was looking for. Looks like 7.0-7.5% gradients coming into and out of Bobbin Head, but only for 2 k's or so on the uphill, so shouldn't be a problem. Overall, not as bad as it looked in some places on the satellite. In fact, that whole loop looks very good - of course, if I had gone through the BikeNorth site today as I had planned, I would have seen this ride, but I have been held up all day by other matters.

Thanks again.

ToeCutter666 said:
Superb! Just what I was looking for. Looks like 7.0-7.5% gradients coming into and out of Bobbin Head, but only for 2 k's or so on the uphill, so shouldn't be a problem. Overall, not as bad as it looked in some places on the satellite. In fact, that whole loop looks very good - of course, if I had gone through the BikeNorth site today as I had planned, I would have seen this ride, but I have been held up all day by other matters.

Thanks again.

I believe the gradients are 5% Mt Colah Side and 4% Turramurra Side

Mike

mikeg said:
I believe the gradients are 5% Mt Colah Side and 4% Turramurra Side

Mike
Better by the minute! Like the look of this one, but it may be a bit too short. Hopefully I can find some side-tracks or diversions along the way and make it up to about 35-40 k's or so.

Just had a look at the rides planned by BN for next week, and it seems there are none on the Weds-Fri, which is a shame.

ToeCutter666 said:
Thanks vasswells - Mike (gee, there sure are a lotta Mikes in this site!):eek:

Now you really got me going. You must've known I'm an insane MTB nut. What a superb setup is that trailflix site! Looks like they'll be expanding the rides they profile there - just unbelievable - wish they had something like that for MTB rides around Melbournne.

I notice that some of the trailflix rides are suitable for hybrids, coz I still reckon I'll bring the hybrid up there instead of the Mounty. But hmmm... possibilities here... Don't want to break myself or my bike, but golly...... :rolleyes:

So thanks for that, and if you have additional links to resources, I'd be most grateful if you could provide them so I can have a look.

Most impressed with the people and assistance given here at CyclingForums. Rep to you all.
Hi Matt,

May like to check out these two clubs, both North of where you are staying and located close to the Bobbin Head rides that have been mentioned, they have rides throughout the week or just check out their websites for maps and route info.

http://pelotonsports.turramurracyclery.com.au/Public/AboutPelotonSports.aspx

http://www.northernsydneycyclingclub.org.au/open/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=29

ToeCutter666 said:
Better by the minute! Like the look of this one, but it may be a bit too short. Hopefully I can find some side-tracks or diversions along the way and make it up to about 35-40 k's or so.

Just had a look at the rides planned by BN for next week, and it seems there are none on the Weds-Fri, which is a shame.
Yeah,

The north side of Bobbo is a little tougher.

All the climbs in that Hornsby area are similar. Around the 4km at 4-5%. Personally, Galston Gorge is toughest - Berowra Waters up to Berowra is easiest.

Scotty

I see some great looking paths/tracks in the Sydways that look like they're marked for walking only (little "walking man" symbol on the Sydways maps). An example is the "Great North Walk" which I'll mention because it runs just north of where I'm staying in Nth. Ryde, and is named on the map.

Are walking tracks in Sydney usable by cyclists? In Melbourne, many routes marked in our street dorectory as "walking" paths are also usable by cyclists. Wondering how similar Sydney is in this regard - can anyone shed any light?

Cheers, Matt.

ToeCutter666 said:
I see some great looking paths/tracks in the Sydways that look like they're marked for walking only (little "walking man" symbol on the Sydways maps). An example is the "Great North Walk" which I'll mention because it runs just north of where I'm staying in Nth. Ryde, and is named on the map.

Are walking tracks in Sydney usable by cyclists? In Melbourne, many routes marked in our street dorectory as "walking" paths are also usable by cyclists. Wondering how similar Sydney is in this regard - can anyone shed any light?

Cheers, Matt.
Cycling is banned on a lot of walking tracks, including the GNW, I think. There are a lot of stairs on tracks, also.

artemidorus said:
The ride I've done a few times is: Newtown->Harbour Bridge->Pymble via Pacific Hwy->Bobbin Head->Mt Kuringai->Hornsby via Pacific Hwy->Galston Gorge->Arcadia->Berowra Waters->Berowra->Harbour Bridge via Pacific Hwy->Newtown. It's about 115km in total, with three big (for Sydney) climbs each of about 200-300m to go towards a total ascent of ~1250m.
Going from N Ryde through Pymble would shorten it a bit, but would not avoid any climbs! You could shorten it by avoiding the Bobbin Head loop (which is worthy of its own ride) and you could lengthen it by doing the Bobbin Head loop again on the way home, in reverse. It's all on sealed roads. The Pacific Hwy south of Pymble is definitely an acquired taste.
Are you picking up the Rengae ride to Bobbin Head?

mikesbytes said:
Are you picking up the Rengae ride to Bobbin Head?
I'm in Sydney 16th-18th August (next week). Can't see a Bobbin ride with Renegade during this time (but I may well do the series of Olympic rides during the day next Thursday, and add on a trip towards Botany Bay). I'm doing some business in the evenings, and I'm travelling with my wife who is also presenting two seminars, so the evening rides with Ranagade cannot be facilitated, unfortunately. My wife's a rider, but won't have her 'baby' here with her, and in any case, we have some corporate evenings planned while we're here.

I'm having a monent of retrospection: I'll tell you all something that has very much emerged and formed an impression upon me since I started liaising with you kind souls a couple of days ago.

It is in regards the Sydney cycling scene. You guys are so much more organised, informative, sociable and goddamn dedicated than fairly well any such organisations in Melbourne. While I would say that we have more dedicated (govt sponsored) paths and trails for riders, and quite possibly a more user friendy cycling "network", you awesome chaps and ladies ooze & sweat committment and dedication to your sport that is completely unseen down south. Your local groups, most of whom have very usable and informative websites give back to cyclists, educate, and invite participation, rather than keep their activities behind closed doors. You strike me as so much more of a community of like-minded individuals; a community based around separate groups who can bring their own thang to the tarmac at any given time and make a helluva show of it when you do!

I would so love to get involved with the cycling culture in Sydney, but this is not practical right now. I wish you all the best in your further development of an active, vibrant, social and competitive 2-wheeler scene up and around one of the most beautiful areas on earth.

Regards, Matt

ToeCutter666 said:
I may well do the series of Olympic rides during the day next Thursday
At 6am sharp from Olympic train station on Tuesdays and Thursday mornings Lidcome/Auburn conduct training rides in 5 groups from fast to not so fast. In the slower group you get the odd person who isn't on a racer.

ToeCutter666 said:
It is in regards the Sydney cycling scene. You guys are so much more organised, informative, sociable and goddamn dedicated than fairly well any such organisations in Melbourne.
I would guess that the level of organisation in Sydney is high is partly due to the complexity of riding here, while conditions are improving, there is still a distinct lack of good places to ride, so group riding is popular as it provides the ability to do rides that wouldn't be suitable by yourself.

BTW, the Olympic to Cooks to San Suzi to Kernell is 100% fine to ride by yourself. Have picnic lunch in Captain Cook park, theres a plack where he landed. Also ride along the Kernell foreshore all the way to the end and there may be some surf sailers out at that end.

Edit: I've put a link in your other post to clubs around Australia, so if we have missed anything, you may find it at those club sites.

Well, I’m back and unpacked. I had a fantastic time and want to thank you all for your help – very generous and very much appreciated. And what about the weather? Last Wednesday to Friday was absolutely superb! Now you gotta tell me it's always like that! ;)

After sitting in my office for several days completely swamped by maps, notes, websites, pencils and highlighters, I finally decided on the rides I was going to do in the three days I was up there (and I also have plenty of great ideas stocked up for next time around). My problem was that there were too many good ideas, but not enough time to do them all. But as usual, my plans changed a bit after I arrived, and I was fortunate that Qantas didn’t completely trash my bike <was very roughly handled>.

Anyway, armed with my maps and notes, and diverting/exploring down every track and path I saw, I did about 60km each day all up - here’s essentially what I finished up doing:

Wednesday:
  • Hotel (Marriott Courtyard in Nth Ryde) to Killara Station (got lost, and unfortunately was forced to take the treacherous Lady Game Drive..)
  • Train via Central Station to Flemington Station (how on earth do wheelchairs get around on the train system? Very few ramps and almost entirely stairs at all stations).
  • Cooks river ride to Brighton Le-Sands (very nice – ate a bit and watched some 747’s coming and going at Cook Park)
  • Returned the same way as I got there.
Thursday:
  • Hotel to Epping Station (through the Uni)
  • Train via Redfern Station to Wolli Creek Station
  • Ride around entire Botany Bay to Kurnell (then did the touristy thing with Capt. Cook and Banks memorials.. Wanted to extend with the “TrailFlix” Botany Park MTB ride, but wasn’t sure my hybrid bike would hack it, so passed this time)
  • Returned the same way as I got there (was a very windy day and the ride back out of Kurnell was brilliant as I had a gale right up my bum – chucked it onto the big chainring and bloody flew!!)
Friday:
  • Hotel to Epping Station (through the Uni)
  • Train down to Concorde West Station.
  • Entered into Homebush/Olympic Park and headed North and crossed the bridge over to Meadowbank.
  • Rode Meadowbank to Putney Pointl and return
  • Continued West up Parra River, around shoreline to Silverwater.
  • Crossed Silverwater Bridge and back into Olympic/Homebush Park.
  • Rode all over the place!! Got dizzy going up the “marker” hills, took all the paths and tracks through the swamps and mangroves, and was absolutely blown away by the stadiums areas. Got lost, didn’t care. Grandly impressive, very scenic, loved the artworks and other features, and no traffic or people about! Not at all what I expected - felt like I had the whole place to myself. Will definitely go there again – you guys are lucky to have it, and I can only ponder the vibe about the place during 2000).
  • Returned the same way as I got there.
All in all three wonderful days of riding and exploring.

I’m jealous of what you’ve got up in your neck of the woods. Next time I’m heading out west a bit more towards Prospect Reservoir, and also want to spend some time north of Manly up to Akuna Bay, Mona Vale and Bobbin Head etc...

Thanks again to all of you!!