Hi all - looking for rides around Sydney!

ToeCutter666

Aug 6, 2006
Hi Everyone,

Wonderful site - I've spent quite some time reading here, getting easily distracted by all sorts of topics..

But the reason I post: I’m visiting Sydney (from Melbourne) next week, and I’m bringing up my hybrid for some riding. I’ll be staying in Nth Ryde.

I’ll be there for three days (weds to Fri), and am desperately looking for advice about where I might find 2-4hour trips in the area. I'd like to do one a day.

I’m willing to catch trains or buses to get where I need to go (and will entertain travelling out of the city) but I don’t want to ride on the roads if at all possible – I always prefer paths and trails. Roads bother the bejeezus out of me here, and I would enjoy myself much more if I didn’t have to ride too many of them on my visit up there.

So I’m hoping to experience some leisurely, no-stress cycling and to see some of the bays, parks, features and coastlines around your wonderful neck of the woods. Melbourne cannot compete with your scenery, and I see this trip as a rare opportunity to see some wonderful sights in another city (don’t travel too much with the bike!).

I thought I could find rides myself - I’ve looked thoroughly via google, plus forums, roads authorities, bikely etc, and have actually purchased a copy of the latest Sydways as a reference (free to a good home when I leave), but cannot seem to string together a series of trips... It doesn’t help when I don’t really know the areas (but you can get a fairly good look via Bikely if you go in real close!).

So I come here cap-in-hand for any advice you can give me.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Ta, Matt

ToeCutter666 said:
Hi Everyone,

Wonderful site - I've spent quite some time reading here, getting easily distracted by all sorts of topics..

But the reason I post: I’m visiting Sydney (from Melbourne) next week, and I’m bringing up my hybrid for some riding. I’ll be staying in Nth Ryde.

I’ll be there for three days (weds to Fri), and am desperately looking for advice about where I might find 2-4hour trips in the area. I'd like to do one a day.

I’m willing to catch trains or buses to get where I need to go (and will entertain travelling out of the city) but I don’t want to ride on the roads if at all possible – I always prefer paths and trails. Roads bother the bejeezus out of me here, and I would enjoy myself much more if I didn’t have to ride too many of them on my visit up there.

So I’m hoping to experience some leisurely, no-stress cycling and to see some of the bays, parks, features and coastlines around your wonderful neck of the woods. Melbourne cannot compete with your scenery, and I see this trip as a rare opportunity to see some wonderful sights in another city (don’t travel too much with the bike!).

I thought I could find rides myself - I’ve looked thoroughly via google, plus forums, roads authorities, bikely etc, and have actually purchased a copy of the latest Sydways as a reference (free to a good home when I leave), but cannot seem to string together a series of trips... It doesn’t help when I don’t really know the areas (but you can get a fairly good look via Bikely if you go in real close!).

Ta, Matt
Here is one that starts in Ryde, that is mostly off road.

Most of the riding in Sydney is on road, which won't be much fun if you don't like the roads in Melbourne. Bruce Ashley's Bike It has a lot of the lower stress routes. It's well worth a look.

DamianM said:
Here is one that starts in Ryde, that is mostly off road.

Most of the riding in Sydney is on road, which won't be much fun if you don't like the roads in Melbourne. Bruce Ashley's Bike It has a lot of the lower stress routes. It's well worth a look.
Thanks Damian - Cooks River looks outstanding - fits the bill perfectly - one down! To actually have it starting/finishing in Ryde is brilliant, although I am willing to use public transport for the other two rides.

Thanks for the suggestion about Bruce Ashley's book - I have bookmarked in case I get up there in the future. I own similar guides for the Melbourne area, and they're extremely useful.

ToeCutter666 said:
Hi Everyone,

Ta, Matt

M7 Shared path info here http://members.optusnet.com.au/robkemp66/m7/m7.htm

also

Prospect Canal Cycleway

Orphan School Creek off road cycleway from Canleyvale to Abbotsbury

Shared Paths beside most of the Parramatta Liverpool Bus T-Way

Parramatta Liverpool Rail Trail

get a copy of the Western Sydney Cycleways map from the RTA

Have a look on bikely.com for routes in sydney

from Parramatta along Parra Liverpool Rail Trail to Guildford then shared paths
following water supply pipes to Prospect canal cycleway to Prospect Dam
then through Western Sydney Regional Park to Abbotsbury (IGA shop with refreshments) Orphan School Creek path to Canleyvale join Rail Trail back to Parramatta

Parrmatta Valley Cycleway (PVC) between Parramatta and Meadowbank.

M4 viaduct cycleway from parramatta to Olympic park

Plenty of Off road routes around Olympic Park

Mike

ToeCutter666 said:
Thanks Damian - Cooks River looks outstanding - fits the bill perfectly - one down! To actually have it starting/finishing in Ryde is brilliant, although I am willing to use public transport for the other two rides.

Thanks for the suggestion about Bruce Ashley's book - I have bookmarked in case I get up there in the future. I own similar guides for the Melbourne area, and they're extremely useful.
There are actually another two books, one by Bruce Ashley, and I don't recall who wrote the other one, that contain recreational rides around Sydney. A lot of them have a public transport component, so it will give you instructions as to which train to get on to the starting point.

Go here and search for "Sydney" and you can find them. Or ring around some of the bike shops when you get here. I know the shop I go to has them, but it's not near Ryde.

Have fun!

mikeg said:
M7 Shared path info here http://members.optusnet.com.au/robkemp66/m7/m7.htm

also

Prospect Canal Cycleway

Orphan School Creek off road cycleway from Canleyvale to Abbotsbury

Shared Paths beside most of the Parramatta Liverpool Bus T-Way

Parramatta Liverpool Rail Trail

get a copy of the Western Sydney Cycleways map from the RTA

Have a look on bikely.com for routes in sydney

from Parramatta along Parra Liverpool Rail Trail to Guildford then shared paths
following water supply pipes to Prospect canal cycleway to Prospect Dam
then through Western Sydney Regional Park to Abbotsbury (IGA shop with refreshments) Orphan School Creek path to Canleyvale join Rail Trail back to Parramatta

Parrmatta Valley Cycleway (PVC) between Parramatta and Meadowbank.

M4 viaduct cycleway from parramatta to Olympic park

Plenty of Off road routes around Olympic Park

Mike
Mike - hope you know how much I appreciate these responses. Feeling better every minute about this trip. As I said above, I really tried to find these myself, but as the date loomed, I felt I'd better ask for some help - you guys have been wonderful.

I'll go through your suggestions, and get the RTA to send the cycleways map to a friend in Sydney, who can then overnight it to me. the M7 site looks great, but I'm finding it a bit hard to get more info about your suggestions right now, so I'll go away and have a real crack at exploring these rides.

Have had a quick look at the ride you described: Parramatta along Parra Liverpool Rail Trail to Guildford then shared paths following water supply pipes to Prospect canal cycleway to Prospect Dam then through Western Sydney Regional Park to Abbotsbury (IGA shop with refreshments) Orphan School Creek path to Canleyvale join Rail Trail back to Parramatta Can you tell me approx. how long this loop would be?

I'm interested in the Botany Bay area, but can't find a ride long enough around there - basically love "scenic" rides anywhere. Also looked at the satellite closeups around Cronulla (love beach/ocean rides!) and the road along the beach looks like it might offer something, but I'd have to dig further for the info.

In any case, hopefully this thread develops to help others looking to ride around Sydney.

ToeCutter666 said:

When you do the Cooks River ride, go all the way to Kernell. If its too far for you, you can catch a train back from Cronulla.

ToeCutter666 said:
Mike - hope you know how much I appreciate these responses. Feeling better every minute about this trip. As I said above, I really tried to find these myself, but as the date loomed, I felt I'd better ask for some help - you guys have been wonderful.

I'll go through your suggestions, and get the RTA to send the cycleways map to a friend in Sydney, who can then overnight it to me. the M7 site looks great, but I'm finding it a bit hard to get more info about your suggestions right now, so I'll go away and have a real crack at exploring these rides.

Have had a quick look at the ride you described: Parramatta along Parra Liverpool Rail Trail to Guildford then shared paths following water supply pipes to Prospect canal cycleway to Prospect Dam then through Western Sydney Regional Park to Abbotsbury (IGA shop with refreshments) Orphan School Creek path to Canleyvale join Rail Trail back to Parramatta Can you tell me approx. how long this loop would be?

between 45 to 50km

ToeCutter666 said:
I'm interested in the Botany Bay area, but can't find a ride long enough around there - basically love "scenic" rides anywhere. Also looked at the satellite closeups around Cronulla (love beach/ocean rides!) and the road along the beach looks like it might offer something, but I'd have to dig further for the info.

In any case, hopefully this thread develops to help others looking to ride around Sydney.

Have a look at the Bike North Site's Rides pages

select Western Wander form the RIDES drop down list
This ride starts from Meadow Bank Wharf at 70km
click on "Mud Map" for a sketch of the ride.

Botany Bay Bacon - Meadowbak Wharf to Brighton Le Sands via the cooks river cycleway

also Bays and Forshores - Meadowbank, Gladesvile, and around some of the bays of harbour foreshores back to concord.

Mike

mikeg said:
between 45 to 50km

Have a look at the Bike North Site's Rides pages

select Western Wander form the RIDES drop down list
This ride starts from Meadow Bank Wharf at 70km
click on "Mud Map" for a sketch of the ride.

Botany Bay Bacon - Meadowbak Wharf to Brighton Le Sands via the cooks river cycleway

also Bays and Forshores - Meadowbank, Gladesvile, and around some of the bays of harbour foreshores back to concord.

Mike
Thanks Mike - I am not worthy.

The Bike North site seems very useful. The rides you've highlighted look very promising. Love your work!

Gotta go and look into these resources and ideas, then hopefully come up with some maps and instructions!

Thanks again, Matt.

ToeCutter666 said:

The Bike North site seems very useful. The rides you've highlighted look very promising. Love your work!

Gotta go and look into these resources and ideas, then hopefully come up with some maps and instructions!

Thanks again, Matt.

Can't take any credit for the work on the website. Only a member, but live in North Parra area. Lots of good things done by the members of Bike North.

Look through the rides routes of bikely.com

example Parramatta to North Ryde

Mike

ToeCutter666 said:
Hi Everyone,

Ta, Matt
Hi Matt,

Came across this website yesteday http://www.trailflix.com.au/

Appears quite informative. I have riden a few of these trails and would be more than happy to provide you with other websites mainly bike club websites that may provide more info. Not sure if this is what your after in terms of trail riding though most would be well within the city limits and therefore you could navigate there usuing your Sydways or catch public transport.

Happy researching, Mike.

Have a look at a ride taking in Bobbin Head, which can be done as a loop via Pymble and Mt Kuringai, Galston Gorge, Arcadia and Berowra Waters.

vazzwells said:
Hi Matt,

Came across this website yesteday http://www.trailflix.com.au/

Appears quite informative. I have riden a few of these trails and would be more than happy to provide you with other websites mainly bike club websites that may provide more info. Not sure if this is what your after in terms of trail riding though most would be well within the city limits and therefore you could navigate there usuing your Sydways or catch public transport.

Happy researching, Mike.
Thanks vasswells - Mike (gee, there sure are a lotta Mikes in this site!):eek:

Now you really got me going. You must've known I'm an insane MTB nut. What a superb setup is that trailflix site! Looks like they'll be expanding the rides they profile there - just unbelievable - wish they had something like that for MTB rides around Melbournne.

I notice that some of the trailflix rides are suitable for hybrids, coz I still reckon I'll bring the hybrid up there instead of the Mounty. But hmmm... possibilities here... Don't want to break myself or my bike, but golly...... :rolleyes:

So thanks for that, and if you have additional links to resources, I'd be most grateful if you could provide them so I can have a look.

Most impressed with the people and assistance given here at CyclingForums. Rep to you all.

ToeCutter666 said:

Thanks again, Matt.
Further to the bike north page,

I'm one of the ride leaders for them.
Please feel free to take any ideas from our pages or even come along on one of our rides.

Here are a few that are more off road (with some low stress on)

http://www.bikenorth.org.au/cycling/rides/ridesmap.php?ride=151 (some (6-7km) motorway shoulder)

http://www.bikenorth.org.au/cycling/rides/ridesmap.php?ride=4

http://www.bikenorth.org.au/cycling/rides/ridesmap.php?ride=6
(good ride along Old Pacific Hwy with great pie shop at the turn around point)

http://www.bikenorth.org.au/cycling/rides/ridesmap.php?ride=18

(Start at Meadowbank end - flat and almost entirely off road)

http://www.bikenorth.org.au/cycling/rides/ridesmap.php?ride=23
(on road - but low stress - hilly)

http://www.bikenorth.org.au/cycling/rides/ridesmap.php?ride=105
(mostly off road - flat)

http://www.bikenorth.org.au/cycling/rides/ridesmap.php?ride=132

Hope this helps

artemidorus said:
Have a look at a ride taking in Bobbin Head, which can be done as a loop via Pymble and Mt Kuringai, Galston Gorge, Arcadia and Berowra Waters.
Thanks artemidorus - appreciated. Hate to ask so many questions (when I should just be grateful and shut up!), but that looks from a satellite picture (bikely) to be a potentially interesting ride for me.

Do you have more details about it? I have a hybrid bike and 3-4hours a day to do these rides. I'm 40yo but fairly fit and love mountain biking, so I can handle gradients & rough it a bit so long as I don't bust the hybrid.

It's difficult for me to take the names of places and put a route together, as I'm sure there are many options about how to get from point A to B etc..

Anyway, any extra info about the circuit you mentioned would be great.

Feeling like a complete leech now...

Signing off for the evening,

Cheers everyone, Matt.

ToeCutter666 said:
Thanks artemidorus - appreciated. Hate to ask so many questions (when I should just be grateful and shut up!), but that looks from a satellite picture (bikely) to be a potentially interesting ride for me.

Do you have more details about it? I have a hybrid bike and 3-4hours a day to do these rides. I'm 40yo but fairly fit and love mountain biking, so I can handle gradients & rough it a bit so long as I don't bust the hybrid.

It's difficult for me to take the names of places and put a route together, as I'm sure there are many options about how to get from point A to B etc..

Cheers everyone, Matt.
http://www.bikenorth.org.au/cycling/rides/ridesmap.php?ride=88

Try this one and incorporate Bobbin Head Rd into it. Good hills and not too much traffic. Good workout and keep your own pace.

Good luck

Scotty

scotty72 said:
Further to the bike north page,

I'm one of the ride leaders for them.
Please feel free to take any ideas from our pages or even come along on one of our rides.

Here are a few that are more off road (with some low stress on)

http://www.bikenorth.org.au/cycling/rides/ridesmap.php?ride=151 (some (6-7km) motorway shoulder)

http://www.bikenorth.org.au/cycling/rides/ridesmap.php?ride=4

http://www.bikenorth.org.au/cycling/rides/ridesmap.php?ride=6
(good ride along Old Pacific Hwy with great pie shop at the turn around point)

http://www.bikenorth.org.au/cycling/rides/ridesmap.php?ride=18

(Start at Meadowbank end - flat and almost entirely off road)

http://www.bikenorth.org.au/cycling/rides/ridesmap.php?ride=23
(on road - but low stress - hilly)

http://www.bikenorth.org.au/cycling/rides/ridesmap.php?ride=105
(mostly off road - flat)

http://www.bikenorth.org.au/cycling/rides/ridesmap.php?ride=132

Hope this helps
Ta Scotty.

Yep, I'll be scouring the BikeNorth site tomorrow. If I can find a suitable ride I may ask if I can come along "for the ride", so to speak... heh heh... Okay, so my humour is not so good, but neither is my road touring on a hybrid. I have a sneaky feeling you guys get up before the birds and then scream along at 40-50k's on the flats for three hours just to get you "going" in the morning - I use caffiene for that! So I'll have to see what agendas you have for next week, but would love to participate in a group ride. Thanks for the heads up on this.

I'm also having every bloody RTA map, pamphlet and brochure about cycling in Sydney being sent to me tomorrow. I'll get these Wednesday arvo, so should be able to start making some better headway into the suggestions I've received so far from you kind folk.

It's going to be a ripper three days!

Cheers, Matt.

scotty72 said:
http://www.bikenorth.org.au/cycling/rides/ridesmap.php?ride=88

Try this one and incorporate Bobbin Head Rd into it. Good hills and not too much traffic. Good workout and keep your own pace.

Good luck

Scotty
Ahhh, yes... it's coming to me now! Can see it now... Looks hilly - can see some wicked switchbacks in there...

Do you just ride up and back to Bobbin Head then rejoin your original course, or do you head west from Bobbin Head across towards the freeway/Mt. Kuringai?

Ta, Matt.

ToeCutter666 said:

Cheers everyone, Matt.
The ride I've done a few times is: Newtown->Harbour Bridge->Pymble via Pacific Hwy->Bobbin Head->Mt Kuringai->Hornsby via Pacific Hwy->Galston Gorge->Arcadia->Berowra Waters->Berowra->Harbour Bridge via Pacific Hwy->Newtown. It's about 115km in total, with three big (for Sydney) climbs each of about 200-300m to go towards a total ascent of ~1250m.
Going from N Ryde through Pymble would shorten it a bit, but would not avoid any climbs! You could shorten it by avoiding the Bobbin Head loop (which is worthy of its own ride) and you could lengthen it by doing the Bobbin Head loop again on the way home, in reverse. It's all on sealed roads. The Pacific Hwy south of Pymble is definitely an acquired taste.

artemidorus said:
The ride I've done a few times is: Newtown->Harbour Bridge->Pymble via Pacific Hwy->Bobbin Head->Mt Kuringai->Hornsby via Pacific Hwy->Galston Gorge->Arcadia->Berowra Waters->Berowra->Harbour Bridge via Pacific Hwy->Newtown. It's about 115km in total, with three big (for Sydney) climbs each of about 200-300m to go towards a total ascent of ~1250m.
Going from N Ryde through Pymble would shorten it a bit, but would not avoid any climbs! You could shorten it by avoiding the Bobbin Head loop (which is worthy of its own ride) and you could lengthen it by doing the Bobbin Head loop again on the way home, in reverse. It's all on sealed roads. The Pacific Hwy south of Pymble is definitely an acquired taste.
Cheers artemidorus - but this circuit's longer and tougher than I'd like to tackle this trip, and sounds like it's a bit to much on-road for my liking. You must be in good physical knick if you're doing it though, and thanks for the info.

A quick question: I'm interested in the Bobbin Head area/loop (as it seems very scenically appealing), and want to know the two roads in/out are really as hilly as they look on the satellite. Can anyone shed any light?

Love this site!