hi all noob needs advice

grilpeater

Jun 14, 2006
hello everyone i dont know a great deal about bikes other than how to ride one and wanted to know what sort of gear levers,jockey etc i need to get because the old gear mechanism fell off whilst riding and couldn't find it.The bike itself is quite old its a muddy fox "courier" which i've recently inherited and i want to take off the gear levers and all the rest of the gear stuff thats on there and get new replacement levers,selecters etc so i can ride it again ,does anyone out there know what parts will suit this particular bike,or will just any mechanism fit? i'm not sure how many gears it has i'll have to go and look in the shed but i think theres 15 or 18 cos theres three big cogs at the front and probably 5 or 6 little cogs at the rear,anyway any advice would be greatly appreciated,thank you,g

grilpeater said:
hello everyone i dont know a great deal about bikes other than how to ride one and wanted to know what sort of gear levers,jockey etc i need to get because the old gear mechanism fell off whilst riding and couldn't find it.The bike itself is quite old its a muddy fox "courier" which i've recently inherited and i want to take off the gear levers and all the rest of the gear stuff thats on there and get new replacement levers,selecters etc so i can ride it again ,does anyone out there know what parts will suit this particular bike,or will just any mechanism fit? i'm not sure how many gears it has i'll have to go and look in the shed but i think theres 15 or 18 cos theres three big cogs at the front and probably 5 or 6 little cogs at the rear,anyway any advice would be greatly appreciated,thank you,g
Ouch, that hurt. I would suggest learning how to use Capitalization and Punctuation first. I know you think I'm being a jerk, but I had to read that 3 time to figure out what the hell you were asking.

www.sheldonbrown.com

Its hard to say realy, Is it worth the bother on a bike of that age and type. You can pick up a bike like it for less than the cost of the spare parts and any hassle that goes with it.
Welcome to the form by the way. You will enjoy your bike no mater what you ride.