Hi and what Winter bike?

wraithwrider

Sep 21, 2006
Hello there.

I'm new on here but don't bother with any of that 'be gentle' stuff:)

I'm looking for a Winter road bike for commuting to work (15 miles each way from the Lakes to the Dales) and training. I'm getting back into my riding after a 10+ year break and I'm a young 50 something.

I'm planning to get involved with some sporting TTs, Sportives and maybe some Audaxing next year.

I don't want to ride either of my present road bikes through the Winter as they are frankly too nice, although nothing exotic, and neither has mudguard clearance anyway.

I've looked around and the obvious choice to me seems to be a Ribble Audax 7005 with a Veloce compact chainset.

Am I making a big mistake or is there anything I'm missing?

I've presently got a 2nd hand 56cm Ribble in my sights on Ebay but nothing's definate there.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, considered and may even be ignored completely, or maybe not:rolleyes:

Peter

All I can say is I wouldn't spend much money on a bike that will be ridden in winter. I built up a road bike for winter training and paid only $400 for absolutely everything. It would be a good idea if possible to buy a touring/cyclocross bike w/ lots of tire clearance to prevent snow build up. Cantilever brakes, or discs, like on cross bikes are also good ideas. Again I wouldn't spend a ton of money on something thats going to be ridden in salt.

I've got a pair of new Aksiums so I've ordered a 7005 Alu Audax frame with carbon forks and a Tiagra triple groupset for a reasonable price from Ribble Cycles.

I'll be putting the bike together hopefully in a week or so.

It'll get a good clean and lub every week so hopefully it'll last the Winter better than my motorcycle does.

We'll see:rolleyes:

Peter