Hi Everyone! recommendations with a $700 budget mountain->hybrid?

art2012

Sep 27, 2012
Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie, 5'9". Looking to purchase a good new bike, or an excellent used bike. I'm going to be using this pretty much on paved trail, or country roads that are unpaved and a bit rocky. Nothing like climbing over boulders or any of that fancy stuff.

I have a budget of $700. Can anyone recommend anything? I'm not sure if I need a mountain bike or hybrid, but I'd like a seat that doesn't kill me after a few miles. I do like the appearance of mountain bikes much better than the hybrid.

Thank You!

FWIW. The JAMIS CODA would be 'my' choice if I were looking for a new-from-the-LBS bike and working with the budget you indicated ...

The base model has an MSRP of ~$550 ... a 2012 mode in stock will cost less. There are several models but I would choose the base model because it is the one with a steel frame (a reason for some not to choose it, BTW).

The saddle which comes with any bike can be replaced and in most cases should probably NOT be a factor in choosing one bike over another.

----------

YOU (everyone, really) need to decide what maximum tire size (width, specifically) that you think you may want to use based on the anticipated riding conditions which you think you will encounter and choose the bike-or-frame accordingly ...

I do NOT know the maximum tire size that the Jamis Coda frames can accommodate ... easily 700x32, probably 700x42 ... in a perfect world, you could squeeze a 700x52 tire in the frame and/or fork (with the fork being readily replaced with a "touring" fork if you wanted to use 700x52 tires sans fenders for some reason).

BTW. I did not realize that there was a controversy about wheel size, but recently that issue came up, again.

I'll just say that when push comes to shove, even if Rodriguez (a very well regarded frame builder) is correct that a smaller wheel (650c, specifically) does not have disadvantages in theory, there are less tire options when you stray away from wheels with 700c rims.

26" MTB wheels have numerous treads for off road, but a very limited tire selection if you want street "slicks" to use on pavement.

There are readly available 700c tires which range from 19mm to 58mm ... and, beyond those sizes are the 'snow' tires whose size I do not know, but they must be in the 82mm-or-larger size -- very special frames & rims are required for the "snow" tires.

----------

WHAT'S OLD IS NEW. 30+ years ago, 622-17 rims were not uncommon ...

It appears that particular rim size is currently (¿once again?) the rim-du-jour amongst the cognoscenti but that rim size is now being referred to as being 23mm wide (brake surface width) as if it were something new!?!

Thank you very much. That really gives me something to look at and research further. There's so much out there, this really helps me separate the wheat from the chaff so to speak.

I was also thinking of the Trek 4300. My friend has one and he likes it very much. Any opinions?

Originally Posted by art2012 .

I was also thinking of the Trek 4300. My friend has one and he likes it very much. Any opinions?
Nice choice. Along that line, check out Trek's (Gary Fisher's) 29'ers in your price range, the Wahoo and the Marlin.

As someone who has recently returned to cycling after a good few years I would suggest that you don't concern yourself too much with the saddle as you will "wear" into it after the first 4 or 5 outings. It really is a case of grin and bear it but it won't last long believe me.

Jiroma

I'll be sure to forward that sentiment to the appropriate areas experiencing the "wear" :)

Thanks for the advice!

Art, have you looked at the Giant Escape? I have an Escape3 and really like it! Maybe I should have gone for the Escape2? You might check these out. Fred

With that budget and the type of riding your gonna be doing I would also consider the Single speed 29ers! Trek, specialized, and giant all make 'em now, and of course there's the surly karate monkey which is my urban commuter!

Thanks alot guys! I appreciate the info! I want to make a buying decision before May of 2013 (when I really need to have this or miss a fantastic bike riding opportunity) so these bikes will give me something good to research.

Art