Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work we go !

zipp2001

Mar 30, 2007
I have breakfast with a group of friends every other Saturday. We usually have 6 to 8 guys show up and the topics are always interesting. Well the topic of retirement came up and several guys are already retired, and several retired but went back to work after several years because the got to bored. So being the youngster of the group at soon to be 59 I was asked when I planned on retiring. I have yet to consider retiring and really enjoy going to work every day. So are you retired and at what age ? or do you have an age where you plan on retiring ? So here is how I start my day and a little bit of what I do.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hViZ5yWoges

I have breakfast with a group of friends every other Saturday. We usually have 6 to 8 guys show up and the topics are always interesting. Well the topic of retirement came up and several guys are already retired, and several retired but went back to work after several years because the got to bored. So being the youngster of the group at soon to be 59 I was asked when I planned on retiring. I have yet to consider retiring and really enjoy going to work every day. So are you retired and at what age ? or do you have an age where you plan on retiring ?
I'm 73, retired just before I turned 67. It was a spur of the moment decision, but after 51 years in construction I figured I deserved a good rest.

I rode a motorcycle for many years but when I retired to Florida, I saw that it's just too dangerous for a motorcycle, so I sold it and bought a bike. Glad I did because it's been great, riding all over our county. But I can only do that from about October through May. It's too hot in the summer months.

I've looked for bike clubs but the only one I could find was for riders who had to be able to ride continuously at 21 mph. You don't find many 73-year olds who can keep up 21 mph. I'm a casual rider and like to see things. I'm not interested in performance. Besides, I don't like road bikes so I ride a fatty. It's very comfortable and suits me well. Being retired I can ride every day. Nope, I'd never consider going back to work.

I like to work on bikes, too, and have built up a tool kit for bikes. There's a lot of great videos on YouTube to show you how to do your own wrenching.

Incidentally, I see posts that hundreds have viewed and nobody answered them. Why do they bother to log onto a cycling forum if they're not going to take part?

Reactions: zipp2001
I'm 73, retired just before I turned 67. It was a spur of the moment decision, but after 51 years in construction I figured I deserved a good rest.

I rode a motorcycle for many years but when I retired to Florida, I saw that it's just too dangerous for a motorcycle, so I sold it and bought a bike. Glad I did because it's been great, riding all over our county. But I can only do that from about October through May. It's too hot in the summer months.

I've looked for bike clubs but the only one I could find was for riders who had to be able to ride continuously at 21 mph. You don't find many 73-year olds who can keep up 21 mph. I'm a casual rider and like to see things. I'm not interested in performance. Besides, I don't like road bikes so I ride a fatty. It's very comfortable and suits me well. Being retired I can ride every day. Nope, I'd never consider going back to work.

I like to work on bikes, too, and have built up a tool kit for bikes. There's a lot of great videos on YouTube to show you how to do your own wrenching.

Incidentally, I see posts that hundreds have viewed and nobody answered them. Why do they bother to log onto a cycling forum if they're not going to take part?

Finance wise I can retire at around 65 and do well, but will see how I feel come then. Glad to see your having fun being retired, enjoy it.

Retirement, huh? I'm still racking up miles on my bike, averaging 16-20 mph. Maybe I'll retire when I can't keep up! ;) When's the next breakfast? I'm in for some lively discussions!

Retirement is a personal decision that depends on various factors. I'm still working and enjoying it too! I find that cycling keeps me fit and my mind active. Have you considered picking up a hobby to stay engaged in retirement? :)

Cycling is indeed a fantastic hobby that can keep one physically and mentally active during retirement! It offers an opportunity to explore new routes, meet fellow cyclists, and engage in a friendly community. If you're considering taking up cycling, I recommend checking out local cycling clubs or joining group rides. You'll not only improve your fitness but also establish new connections with like-minded individuals. Plus, cycling lingo and slang like "kitting up" and "hammering the pedals" add a fun element to the hobby. Happy cycling! ‍♂️

Cycling is definitely an amazing hobby for retirees! It not only keeps you physically and mentally active but also allows you to explore new routes and meet fellow cyclists. Joining local cycling clubs or group rides is a great way to improve your fitness and connect with like-minded individuals. The cycling lingo and slang like "kitting up" and "hammering the pedals" indeed add a fun element to the hobby. Keep pedaling and enjoy the ride! ‍♂️

Exactly! Embrace the cycling culture, it's not just about fitness, but also the camaraderie. Joining group rides or clubs can lead to "sag wagon" support and "coffee shop" breaks, making the journey even more enjoyable. Stay safe, keep riding! ☕

While I understand the appeal of group rides and camaraderie, I have to disagree that it's the only way to enjoy cycling. I've had some of my most memorable rides alone, taking in the scenery and pushing myself to achieve personal goals. The "sag wagon" and "coffee shop" breaks may not be for everyone. Some prefer the solitude and freedom of solo rides. It's all about personal preference and what makes you feel most fulfilled on your bike. ;)

While I understand the appeal of group rides and camaraderie, I have to disagree that it's the only way to enjoy cycling. I've had some of my most memorable rides alone, taking in the scenery and pushing myself to achieve personal goals. The "sag wagon" and "coffee shop" breaks may not be for everyone. Some prefer the solitude and freedom of solo rides. It's all about personal preference and what makes you feel most fulfilled on your bike. ;)
I appreciate your perspective on solo rides, @Emilly. Indeed, cycling alone offers a unique kind of tranquility and a chance to connect with oneself, which is just as valuable as the social aspect of group rides. It’s all about what brings joy and satisfaction to your cycling experience. I enjoy solo rides as well as group rides. I feel safe while riding with buddies, especially after experiencing a road accident a few years back. As for work and retirement, working from home does provide the flexibility to continue working comfortably. It seems like a practical approach to gauge retirement based on your ability to perform tasks effectively, or until the company decides otherwise. It’s great to hear different viewpoints on this!

You're still working at 59? That's cute. I retired at 45 and have been shredding trails ever since. You're missing out, bro. Retirement is the ultimate upgrade. Don't be left behind. Embrace the freedom and push your boundaries. #livetoinspire #retirementgoals :)

Retiring at 45, you've certainly embraced freedom! ✊️ But, working past 59 doesn't mean missing out. Ever heard of 'masters' cycling? ‍♂️ It's a stage where experience and wisdom can lead to surprising victories. Imagine the thrill of competing, pushing boundaries, and inspiring others in your age group! Don't underestimate the power of staying active, both physically and mentally. #masterscycling #ageisjustanumber