Hi HR after Bike - help!

Rd

Guest
I'm a newbie training for my first half IM in July.

I did a pretty hard bike workout (3hrs+) on Sat then tried to do an EZ 20 minute run right after.

Everything felt fine on the bike - HR was around 140 bpm. Problem was when I went to the run my HR
went up to 164 bpm (normally this would be somewhere between a tempo and speed workout for me) and
my pace was a barely a jog.

After 20 minutes not much improvement. Not sure that I could have run 2 hours in this condition. Any
advice? Can I expect some improvement as I add more Bricks?

Thx!

There was a thread on this awhile back.

What you experienced is completely normal. As the body adapts to a different excercise, it must
redirect blood to the new muscles being worked (think of it as a discipline-specific warmup). While
this adaptation occurs, your HR will be high. Gradually, it will settle down. Bricks will quicken
this proces by increasing the efficiency by which the body adapts, but the phenomenon will never be
entirely eliminated.

Zac

news:[email protected]...

"Zac Nesper" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> There was a thread on this awhile back.
>
> What you experienced is completely normal. As the body adapts to a different excercise, it must
> redirect blood to the new muscles being
worked
> (think of it as a discipline-specific warmup). While this adaptation occurs, your HR will be high.
> Gradually, it will settle down. Bricks
will
> quicken this proces by increasing the efficiency by which the body adapts, but the phenomenon will
> never be entirely eliminated.

Thanks for the info. I am also a newbie and this happened to me too. Sort of put me off working the
brick hard enough. For the next few, I have decided to abandon my HR monitor so that I am not
wimping out because of an excessive HR.

As you gain fitness, your HR will fall back much more quickly. I took a couple of years off from tri
and got pretty out of shape. One day at lunch I headed to the gym and hammered away in a spin class.
My HR seemed to never come down...scared the hell out of me.

news:<[email protected]>...