Hi HR after Bike - help!

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Rd, May 19, 2003.

  1. Rd

    Rd Guest

    I'm a newbie training for my first half IM in July.

    I did a pretty hard bike workout (3hrs+) on Sat then tried to do an EZ 20 minute run right after.

    Everything felt fine on the bike - HR was around 140 bpm. Problem was when I went to the run my HR
    went up to 164 bpm (normally this would be somewhere between a tempo and speed workout for me) and
    my pace was a barely a jog.

    After 20 minutes not much improvement. Not sure that I could have run 2 hours in this condition. Any
    advice? Can I expect some improvement as I add more Bricks?

    Thx!

    Tags:

  2. Zac Nesper

    Zac Nesper Guest

    There was a thread on this awhile back.

    What you experienced is completely normal. As the body adapts to a different excercise, it must
    redirect blood to the new muscles being worked (think of it as a discipline-specific warmup). While
    this adaptation occurs, your HR will be high. Gradually, it will settle down. Bricks will quicken
    this proces by increasing the efficiency by which the body adapts, but the phenomenon will never be
    entirely eliminated.

    Zac

    "rd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm a newbie training for my first half IM in July.
    >
    > I did a pretty hard bike workout (3hrs+) on Sat then tried to do an EZ 20 minute run right after.
    >
    > Everything felt fine on the bike - HR was around 140 bpm. Problem was
    when
    > I went to the run my HR went up to 164 bpm (normally this would be
    somewhere
    > between a tempo and speed workout for me) and my pace was a barely a jog.
    >
    > After 20 minutes not much improvement. Not sure that I could have run 2 hours in this condition.
    > Any advice? Can I expect some improvement as I add more Bricks?
    >
    > Thx!

  3. Broooz

    Broooz Guest

    "Zac Nesper" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > There was a thread on this awhile back.
    >
    > What you experienced is completely normal. As the body adapts to a different excercise, it must
    > redirect blood to the new muscles being
    worked
    > (think of it as a discipline-specific warmup). While this adaptation occurs, your HR will be high.
    > Gradually, it will settle down. Bricks
    will
    > quicken this proces by increasing the efficiency by which the body adapts, but the phenomenon will
    > never be entirely eliminated.

    Thanks for the info. I am also a newbie and this happened to me too. Sort of put me off working the
    brick hard enough. For the next few, I have decided to abandon my HR monitor so that I am not
    wimping out because of an excessive HR.

  4. As you gain fitness, your HR will fall back much more quickly. I took a couple of years off from tri
    and got pretty out of shape. One day at lunch I headed to the gym and hammered away in a spin class.
    My HR seemed to never come down...scared the hell out of me.

    news:<[email protected]>...