Hi, new member, probably an old question!

oldberkeley

Nov 11, 2018
I just bought a bike at a garage sale, trying to figure out what model it is.

Motobecane 10-speed. Mixte style. Have searched every inch of the bike, just can't find a model name!

Any help appreciated!

Without pics it's a guessing game, it could be mostly likely a Mirage or Super Mirage, followed by a Grand Jubilee, Super Touring, Grand Record, or a Grand Touring. If you look on the frame there is a tubing decal, if by some slim chance it says Vitus then it's the Grand Touring which was one of the best mixte bikes ever made with the exception of one other that used Reynolds 531 called the Grand Jubilee, that bike had Huret Jubilee components which was the best components any French maker made, this bike in a mixte is a rare find; the rest will probably say 2040 in the touring series. The Mirage was a low end bike, not sure if it was the lowest end but at least the second lowest end, putting on par with the Schwinn Varisty but the Mirage was a better bike. Other low end offerings were Nomade or Nomade Sprint and Super Mirage which was a step up from Mirage, the Nomades were the bottom of the heap and the frame tubing sticker will say 1020, all the lower end models used the 1020 tubing. If your bike also uses Suntour VGT derailleur it's another clue it's a mid to lower offering, but the VGT derailleur was a very good derailleur, it shifted better than most high end derailleurs of the day!

It does say 1020 tubes, forks & stays. Suntour VGT derailleur.

I'd guess it's from somewhere in the early '80s, just has that feel to it. Everything seems to be 100% original, including the suede saddle. A bit of very light rust on the handlebars where not taped and on the rims. Rode it around the block and it seems great.

Truthfully, I'm NOT a serious cyclist, already have an old bike for around town. If my adult daughter doesn't want this, think I'll just try to sell it on Craigslist for a reasonable price. Oh, have to mention, I paid $17 for it (not kidding)!

Attachments

• IMG_1417.JPG
    IMG_1417.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1421.JPG
    IMG_1421.JPG
    239 KB · Views: 18
It does say 1020 tubes, forks & stays. Suntour VGT derailleur.

I'd guess it's from somewhere in the early '80s, just has that feel to it. Everything seems to be 100% original, including the suede saddle. A bit of very light rust on the handlebars where not taped and on the rims. Rode it around the block and it seems great.

Truthfully, I'm NOT a serious cyclist, already have an old bike for around town. If my adult daughter doesn't want this, think I'll just try to sell it on Craigslist for a reasonable price. Oh, have to mention, I paid $17 for it (not kidding)!
That is a Mixte frame. This was sort of the "old people's bike" of the time. It is old and most of the parts cannot be replaced for any reasonable amount of money. In particular the bottom bracket which is no doubt shot even if it just sat around and absorbed moisture out of the air has French threads on it and is an expensive part to replace. The headset threads are also French but are so close to British that they will work and just feel a little tight.

Mind you, there is a market for Mixte frames for older people that have problems stepping over a standard bike frame. But most people shy away from one that requires virtually every component replaced.

Mr Obvious figured it you have a mixte frame...after you told everyone that's what you had! LOL!!!

Anyway, you have a lower end Motobecane called the Nomade or the Nomade Sprint. But that doesn't mean the bike is bad, it means the resale value won't ever be much, but that Suntour VGT stuff while heavy had the best shifting of any derailleur from any other brand including the high end stuff! Plus the Suntour stuff, even their cheap stuff, was built to last and last it did that's why yours still works! I have Suntour Superbe stuff on my old racing bike and that stuff has over 160,000 miles on them and they still work just fine!