Hi-tech Helmet

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Corzhens, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Well-Known Member

As per the news article, there is an ongoing project for a hi-tech cycling helmet that is crowdfunded in Indiegogo. It has built-i LEDs for turn signals, a 3-axis gravity sensor (I don't know this one), a function to send SOS messages in cases of emergencies. There's also a bluetooth speaker, and a walkie-talkie (this one perhaps is also for emergency purposes).

Read more at http://www.mb.com.ph/go-cycling-with-a-bling/#8EjfCk0e7gQEBgQi.99

Tags:

2. seekix

seekix New Member

Sounds great!
    I personally bought all my equipment here www.shopforcycling.com/en/
    but all new technology is more then welcome

3. joshposh

joshposh Banned

So this is a website out of the Philippines? It also says it needs 20 million dollars to complete the project. That's 2 red flags already. It doesn't cost that much to make a helmet like that. You can make one on your own with cheap parts from your cheap china electronics store.

Where is this 20 million going to? You are not finding a cure for cancer I tell you that much.

4. Mr. Beanz

Mr. Beanz Well-Known Member

Safety equipment with speakers located right next to your ears so you can safely hinder your hearing on the road with music. Makes sense to me! :lol:

5. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but the lights on that helmet are virtually useless. Think about something, look at a tail light with a 1 to 2 watt single LED bulb and how long the internal battery will burn that led for, usually 2 to 4 hours on high, and 1 to 2 watt single led are pretty bright ranging from about 40 to about 70 lumens of light. Now introduce into the equation 45 1 watt led lights, how long do you think that battery will last? maybe 10 minutes! so what would a company have to do to make the battery last longer? A bigger battery won't work because it would make the helmet to heavy, so they went with the dimmest least power hungry LED's they could find. Have any of you ever seen those tiny little round hanging type of LED's at night? they're barely visible, and that basically is what this helmet is using. Sure watching a video the helmet seems impressive, but that's all about camera exposure and computer enhancements to make it seem really bright. I can relatively safely say that all 45 of those LED's might equal a total of 1 watt consumption which means each light is only about .02 watts which means they are very dim.

Don't waste your money on that helmet, you would be better off getting a regular helmet and buying a bright tail light with a helmet clip or fastener.