hi there, i'm wondering what is a fair price for a bike witht this equipment set up?

Ricitius

Jul 26, 2005
The bike frame is a steel Motobecane Olympia, I think it's from 1981 and still has a great original paint finish. It's got the stock seat stem, fork, front brake, bottom bracket, and headset. The front wheel is a black Aerospoke. The rear wheel has a flip-flop Phil Woods hub laced to a machined, for brakes, black Velocity Deep V rim. One side has a free wheel and the other a fixed gear with a Phil Woods lock-ring. The seat is a Brooks saddle, honey colored. It has drop handlebars wrapped in new tape and has a Tektro time trial front brake lever, along with new 700c x 25 Gator Skin tires. The cranks aren't anything special. I think the chainring crank is a sugino somehting, and the left crank is a shimano Nexave or something.

How much would one pay for it? Is $1300 a fair asking price?

Ricitius said:
The bike frame is a steel Motobecane Olympia, I think it's from 1981 and still has a great original paint finish. It's got the stock seat stem, fork, front brake, bottom bracket, and headset. The front wheel is a black Aerospoke. The rear wheel has a flip-flop Phil Woods hub laced to a machined, for brakes, black Velocity Deep V rim. One side has a free wheel and the other a fixed gear with a Phil Woods lock-ring. The seat is a Brooks saddle, honey colored. It has drop handlebars wrapped in new tape and has a Tektro time trial front brake lever, along with new 700c x 25 Gator Skin tires. The cranks aren't anything special. I think the chainring crank is a sugino somehting, and the left crank is a shimano Nexave or something.

FWIW. $1300 is about 3x-to-4x what I would probably pay ... depending on the condition of the components/etc.

What size frame do you ride AND why are you interested in the particular bike?!?

Ricitius said:

I agree with alfeng. $1300 is way too steep for this bike.

Oh good to know. I'm just interested in all of the parts. They would probably take a while to get it all together. I don't really care for the frame. It's just the wheels, and seat. They have had their fair use. The tires are for sure new. Would 600-800
be fair?

Ricitius said:
Oh good to know. I'm just interested in all of the parts. They would probably take a while to get it all together. I don't really care for the frame. It's just the wheels, and seat. They have had their fair use. The tires are for sure new. Would 600-800 be fair?
Well, the answer is still "no" ... but, that's just my opinion.

The Brooks saddle, new, would be less than $100 ...

A pair of track wheels with NEW Dura Ace PISTA hubs would probably be less than $400 if you lace them up, yourself ... more, if you have someone else do the work. OTHER hubs cost less.

Now, as a point of controversy, let me say that Phil Woods hubs & BBs are probably over-rated in the context of today's equivalent components ... more so, the hubs than the BB (which is limited to square-taper types, AFAIK). You could substitute the bearings in almost ANY cartridge BB with better-than-stock bearings & get comparable-or-better performance than you would get with the Phil Woods "stuff" for much less money.

The priniciple reason to opt for Phil Woods "stuff' now is for cosmetic reasons -- a rosebud-restoration.

I definitely wouldn't be spending more than $300 if all I wanted were the wheels & saddle.