Hi there.Quick question honest.

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by steve_31, Dec 11, 2005.

1. steve_31

steve_31 New Member

Hi just joined up.
    Found the site very useful so far.

I know there has been several/alot of threads about Raleigh upgrades but..
    I've had a Record sprint for many years its like an old friend,,so i have given it afew ugrades to use it as a daily comute.It now has itm/stem bars tiagra calipers and its really improved.

Now im aware that to try and get STIs 8/9 cassetts on the bike will cost way more than its worth so i dont intend to go down that route but i would like to put a new chainwheel straight onto the old bottom bracket, fit new wheels and a rear mech

Can anyone tell me what chainwheel will fit? can i put a triple ring on ? as these are cheap and plentiful on ebay. Im sure i can use the sora rear mech also.
    The wheels on are 700C.Now not wanting to sound to thick will any 700c wheel fit onto the bike? i have seen new shimano wheels for £50 odd quid

Many thanks.

Tags:

2. Don Shipp

Don Shipp New Member

If you're going to replace the wheels then you might as well put on good ones with a 8 or 9 speed cassette. If you are using friction shifters they will handle it. Bottom brackets, even good ones, are not expensive unless you are getting something fancy so why not replace this with the chain-rings, and be sure you've got the necessary length and clearance? You might have to replace the front mech if going from a double to a triple, or to a compact, but once again the cost is not prohibitive and the work is staightforward. Unless the frame is damaged or really rubbish improvements like this can be worthwhile.

3. Chuck731

Chuck731 New Member

Did your bike come with 7 cogs or less in the back? If so, than you have to be careful with that rear wheel. Your bike would have been designed for the older standard of 126mm between rear dropouts. Typical modern 700c rear wheels, intended for 8/9/10 speeds, need 130mm between drop outs.

If the back half of your bike is steel or titanium, then you needn't dispair. Steel and titanium frames can be realigned to achieve 130mm drop out spacing. Any decent local bike shop can do it for you. You can just drop in a new 700c wheel when they are done.

If the back half of your bike is aluminum or carbon, then you will not be able to properly realign the rear dropouts. In that case, your only option is to hunt ebay or rumage through old stock to find 7 speed rear cogs, 126mm axle rear wheels, shifters and derailleurs for your bike.

4. John M

John M New Member

I suggest you go to Sheldon Brown's website and read-up on cranksets, hubs, derailleurs, etc.... He has alot of technical specs that can be really useful in determining compatibility between older and newer components. On first pass, I would say that you could do a few upgrades to the drivetrain for not too much money. Going triple may require new derailleurs (FD probably, RD maybe depending on the cage length and gearing that you end up with) as well as a longer bottom bracket to accomodate a triple.

If you want 8s or 9s, you could do so with bar-end shifters for not too much money.

Sheldon Brown's BB link is below. His other pages cover the rest of the components as well as frame spacing for hubs.

http://sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html

5. mcmik

mcmik New Member

Hi, I have just joined today. Can anybody tell me where I can get a boot mounted rack that will fit a BMW Z3?
    Thanks Mik

6. Chuck731

Chuck731 New Member

I've been looking for the samething for a BMW Z4. So far every manufactuer has expressed their apologies for not making any such offering.

:(

7. steve_31

steve_31 New Member

Hi
    Thanks for the posts i have of course been reading up on sheldons site which is very informative if not alittle mind boggling.i know abit about bikes having built and restored older bicylces but i find with road bikes theres just so much choice with parts/specs.
    The frame is steel,i know the sprints were low end bikes but its quite sturdy the frame is in good condition having been loft stored for some time.Its one of the last with oval forks.From sheldons site i it is a freewheel rear hub with 6 gears/double chain ring.Shimano crank.
    I take it i need a tapered chain set?? i think im gong for a double) to keep it simple.
    In the meantime im lookng for a newer road bike,possibly a Fausto coppi which are available for afew hundredpounds .The specs on these bikes look pretty reasonable for the money.What does everyone think of these? Torina/San Remo etc.

8. steve_31

steve_31 New Member

Update

Correction the cranks are sugino.Good news !!! i've just measured the rear dropout gap.....its 130mm !!(well 135 from outer end to end) Maybe its because its one of the last??So i reckon any 700c wheel with cassette will fit straight on?? Before anyone comments the frame looks straight even angles on lower tubes no bendding or distortion..

9. Insight Driver

Insight Driver New Member

Chuck, his bike is an old Raleigh. You clearly don't know much about them, do you. They are a steel bike.

10. Chuck731

Chuck731 New Member

Well, I have a oldish Raleigh that is all aluminum. But I did not read up on Raleigh's peoduct line from other years.

11. steve_31

steve_31 New Member

12. Don Shipp

Don Shipp New Member

Sugino is good, you could pehaps put replace just the chainrings.