Hi viz cycling shirts

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Davidm, Dec 27, 2005.

  1. Davidm

    Davidm Guest

    Hi All - has anyone got a local source for hi viz cycling tops such as those
    sold at http://alertshirt.com/cycsweat.html? These ones seem to get good
    reports, but their web form has no option for shipping to Aus, so would
    prefer something local. Features needed are hi-viz colour, reflective
    stripes, long sleeves, wicking and fairly light weight. Not needed are rear
    pockets (will be used on a trike) or a whole bunch of pro advertising...
    Any ideas?

    Cheers
    David M

    Tags:

  2. DD

    DD Guest

    Davidm wrote:
    > Hi All - has anyone got a local source for hi viz cycling tops such as those
    > sold at http://alertshirt.com/cycsweat.html? These ones seem to get good
    > reports, but their web form has no option for shipping to Aus, so would
    > prefer something local. Features needed are hi-viz colour, reflective
    > stripes, long sleeves, wicking and fairly light weight. Not needed are rear
    > pockets (will be used on a trike) or a whole bunch of pro advertising...
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Cheers
    > David M

    Sorry, slightly off-topic but if you want visibility then there's a few
    other things that you can do.

    You probably have a flag with your trike. Keep the flagpole but put a
    better flag or two on it. One of the WAHPV riders has made up and given
    out a few (thanks Bruce!) flags made from material bought at Spotlight.
    There are twirly things that you can use instead but I tend not to
    want to have nearby motorists hypnotised or drawn in to my trike like
    trout to a lure.

    There are various tyre lights (such as TireFlys, see
    www.tireflysonline.com ), these screw onto the valve and generally
    operate when the wheel turns, some only also when in darkness. Some
    flash, some are constant but brief. If you get blue tyreflashers then
    this becomes more pertinent as blue flashing lights secured to the
    vehicle and not the rider are not legal in WA unless on police or
    emergency vehicles. But blue tyreflashers really get interesting
    reactions from motorists. Most slow down, that's got to be good.

    As to taillights get what you think is bright and mounts well on the
    trike but get two. Having two taillights spaced apart gives dimension to
    the trike otherwise approaching drivers may only think that they need
    give room for passing a lone bike.

    If you want something like the clothing that alertshirt make but with a
    little more fashion-sense and availability then buy what you normally
    would wear and then slip on one of those armband flashers that the
    joggers wear. Try Runners World or your LBS. You can also place
    reflective tape on your trike and luggage. Some European tyres even come
    with a reflective strip.

    If you want to go more extreme there are some front flashers that use a
    photographic strobe, that gets attention a mile away. JayCar sells an EL
    wire with battery pack that can be strung under the bike or trike for
    that cruise of the cappuccino strip (So what dick wants the underside of
    their vehicle to glow blue? Sadly, plenty.). There is the idea of a
    lyrca tailsock with a light turned on inside for greater illuminated
    surface area ( see www.terracycle.com/tailsocks.htm ) and perhaps scare
    value. You can even get a glow-in-the-dark paint job (see
    www.houseofkolor.com/hok/products/specialty.jsp and the Kosmic-Glo
    stuff halfway down).

    Hell, you can do lots of things here to make yourself look less like a
    person on a bike (or trike) and more a moving target. Try to stay within
    the range of taste as well as practical.

  3. darryl

    darryl Guest

    In article
    <[email protected]>,
    "Davidm" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hi All - has anyone got a local source for hi viz cycling tops such as those
    > sold at http://alertshirt.com/cycsweat.html? These ones seem to get good
    > reports, but their web form has no option for shipping to Aus, so would
    > prefer something local. Features needed are hi-viz colour, reflective
    > stripes, long sleeves, wicking and fairly light weight. Not needed are rear
    > pockets (will be used on a trike) or a whole bunch of pro advertising...
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Cheers
    > David M

    You asked for plain, have a look at the following:
    <http://www.westcare.com.au/westcare_safety_pro_polo.asp>
    Not sure how 'wicking' they might be but at least you will be seen
    through the sweat.
    They can even put reflective lettering on it for you.
    Netti also make a jersey with thin reflective piping but at normal
    cycling prices.

    regards,
    Darryl

  4. L'acrobat

    L'acrobat Guest

    "Davidm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi All - has anyone got a local source for hi viz cycling tops such as
    > those sold at http://alertshirt.com/cycsweat.html? These ones seem to get
    > good reports, but their web form has no option for shipping to Aus, so
    > would prefer something local. Features needed are hi-viz colour,
    > reflective stripes, long sleeves, wicking and fairly light weight. Not
    > needed are rear pockets (will be used on a trike) or a whole bunch of pro
    > advertising... Any ideas?

    http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/index.htm

    the rock lobster fits your requirement.

    http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product_detail.php?style=ROC&category=SUM
    about $83 AUD plus postage from NZ

  5. David M

    David M Guest

    L'acrobat wrote:
    > http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/index.htm
    >
    > the rock lobster fits your requirement.
    >
    > http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product_detail.php?style=ROC&category=SUM
    > about $83 AUD plus postage from NZ

    hmmm...indeed looks good. I assume the grey colour on the lime shirt is
    a reflective material? Looks kinda sweet....bit more expensive that I
    wanted as we probably need 2 each (daily commuting), but looks like a
    good option and I guess I could cope with the cost.

    Any other options y'all can think of ??

    Thanks
    David M

  6. L'acrobat

    L'acrobat Guest

    "David M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > L'acrobat wrote:
    >> http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/index.htm
    >>
    >> the rock lobster fits your requirement.
    >>
    >> http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product_detail.php?style=ROC&category=SUM
    >> about $83 AUD plus postage from NZ

    > hmmm...indeed looks good. I assume the grey colour on the lime shirt is
    > a reflective material? Looks kinda sweet....bit more expensive that I
    > wanted as we probably need 2 each (daily commuting), but looks like a
    > good option and I guess I could cope with the cost.

    I'm happy with the earlier version that I have (less reflectives on it
    though), been commuting in it for a year and a half.

    In the short term you could get away with one each as it drys very fast.

    I wound up buying a bunch of their stuff as I liked the shirt and like the
    "doesn't look like a TdF fantasist" styling.

  7. "David M" wrote:
    > L'acrobat wrote:
    >> http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/index.htm
    >>
    >> the rock lobster fits your requirement.
    >>
    >> http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product_detail.php?style=ROC&category=SUM
    >> about $83 AUD plus postage from NZ

    > hmmm...indeed looks good. I assume the grey colour on the lime shirt is
    > a reflective material?

    Hmmm. I think not. This will most likely be a grey coloured Intercool
    fabric. Where Ground Effect use reflective material they describe it as
    "Hazard reflective piping". Mainly used on their winter tops and rain
    jackets I believe. This one is a summer top - guess they assume we don't
    ride in the dark in summer???

    > Looks kinda sweet....bit more expensive that I
    > wanted as we probably need 2 each (daily commuting), but looks like a
    > good option and I guess I could cope with the cost.

    Their clothing is very good value and without all the pose trade team
    advertising. Their knicks are fantastic, I bought one in 1998, still in use
    with another pair I bought about 2002. Used no other knicks since '98. They
    last at least twice the Netti knicks, and their $A cost is about the same.
    All their tops will dry in a flash, and can be worn for several days in
    mixed company, unlike Stink(Cool)max.

    Cheer
    Peter

  8. Euan

    Euan Guest

    David> L'acrobat wrote:
    >> http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/index.htm
    >>
    >> the rock lobster fits your requirement.
    >>
    >> http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product_detail.php?style=ROC&category=SUM
    >> about $83 AUD plus postage from NZ

    David> hmmm...indeed looks good. I assume the grey colour on the
    David> lime shirt is a reflective material? Looks kinda sweet....bit
    David> more expensive that I wanted as we probably need 2 each
    David> (daily commuting), but looks like a good option and I guess I
    David> could cope with the cost.

    What size are you? Not knowing any better I ordered a couple of Rock
    Lobsters in large, Ground Effect Large is bloody large; more like extra
    large.

    They've had use and I think they're bloody fantastic bits of kit, just
    too big for my frame. When I've got the pockets loaded up the hem ends
    up under my bum. I'm replacing them with a couple of mediums in the
    very near future 'cause they really are that good.
    --
    Cheers | ~~ [email protected]
    Euan | ~~ _-\<,

  9. Kim Hawtin

    Kim Hawtin Guest

    L'acrobat wrote:
    > "David M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>L'acrobat wrote:
    >>
    >>>http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/index.htm
    >>>
    >>>the rock lobster fits your requirement.
    >>>
    >>>http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product_detail.php?style=ROC&category=SUM
    >>>about $83 AUD plus postage from NZ

    >>hmmm...indeed looks good. I assume the grey colour on the lime shirt is
    >>a reflective material? Looks kinda sweet....bit more expensive that I
    >>wanted as we probably need 2 each (daily commuting), but looks like a
    >>good option and I guess I could cope with the cost.
    >>

    > I'm happy with the earlier version that I have (less reflectives on it
    > though), been commuting in it for a year and a half.
    >
    > In the short term you could get away with one each as it drys very fast.
    >
    > I wound up buying a bunch of their stuff as I liked the shirt and like the
    > "doesn't look like a TdF fantasist" styling.

    So what size did you order? The "L"? What size is it really?

    It irks me that no one seems to sell anything larger than size "L" in
    bicycle attire!

    What are we "(X)XXL" sized folk supposed to wear!?!?

    Kim
    ~ Hmmmmmpfffff!

  10. Euan

    Euan Guest

    Kim> L'acrobat wrote:
    >> "David M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]

    >>> hmmm...indeed looks good. I assume the grey colour on the lime
    >>> shirt is a reflective material? Looks kinda sweet....bit more
    >>> expensive that I wanted as we probably need 2 each (daily
    >>> commuting), but looks like a good option and I guess I could
    >>> cope with the cost.
    >>>

    >> I'm happy with the earlier version that I have (less reflectives
    >> on it though), been commuting in it for a year and a half.
    >>
    >> In the short term you could get away with one each as it drys
    >> very fast.
    >>
    >> I wound up buying a bunch of their stuff as I liked the shirt and
    >> like the "doesn't look like a TdF fantasist" styling.

    Kim> So what size did you order? The "L"? What size is it really?

    Kim> It irks me that no one seems to sell anything larger than size
    Kim> "L" in bicycle attire!

    Ground Effect `L' is bloody big. I'm `L' in most chain store clothing,
    you know t shirts and the like, and Ground Effect `L' is way too big for
    me.

    http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/sizes.htm

    My Santini bib knicks on the other hand, they're XXL. Pfft.
    --
    Cheers | ~~ [email protected]
    Euan | ~~ _-\<,

  11. Gags

    Gags Guest

    "Kim Hawtin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > L'acrobat wrote:
    > > "David M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > >

    > It irks me that no one seems to sell anything larger than size "L" in
    > bicycle attire!
    >
    > What are we "(X)XXL" sized folk supposed to wear!?!?
    >
    > Kim
    > ~ Hmmmmmpfffff!

    I agree.....I have actually written to groundeffects a couple of times
    asking them why they don't stock any XL sizes for us normal sized folks. I
    was told that the L was pretty generous but from memory, the size chart said
    up to 190cm or so which means that I am not going to mail order one and hope
    that it fits my 195cm or so (I hate sleeves that are too short!!!).

    Don't even get me started on European sizes.......ppfffftttt!!!!

    Bring on the big sizes!!!!

    Gags

  12. "Gags" wrote:

    > I agree.....I have actually written to groundeffects a couple of times
    > asking them why they don't stock any XL sizes for us normal sized folks.
    > was told that the L was pretty generous but from memory, the size chart
    > said
    > up to 190cm or so which means that I am not going to mail order one and
    > hope
    > that it fits my 195cm or so (I hate sleeves that are too short!!!).

    I wouldn't stress out too much about the L size not fitting. My last two
    purchases were an M-size Manta Ray top and an S-sized Ranchslider long
    pants. I'm 180 cm (should take M) and the Manta Ray is really a bit too
    long, while the S Ranchsliders are just fine. They have a no questions
    return policy anyway so you can easily get it sorted if the top is too
    small. I think you may be pleasantly surprised about their sizes.

    > Don't even get me started on European sizes.......ppfffftttt!!!!

    But then there's the recent trend to 'Australian' sizes in shoes, swimming
    while you walk/ride. Bring on those Italian sized road shoes.

    Cheers
    Peter
    - told you I am a whippet