Hi!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Goldi, Feb 20, 2004.

  1. Goldi

    Goldi New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2004
    i'm sure you get this all the time but i'm new.

    *waves!*

    i wanted a bit of help...

    i'm female and 20 years old and LOVE cycling. i'm not amazing at it and only know what i can do from the bike in the gym but i know i can go further and longer outdoors. i just wanted to know if anyone had any good ideas for a beginner programme? any good products that i can fix to myself or bike to tell me how far i've cycled? and any events, more fun than serious racing that i could aim for???

    thankyou!

    Tags:

  2. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Goldi wrote:

    > i just wanted to know if anyone had any good ideas for a beginner programme?

    To quote the late Mr. F. Mercury of the popular beat combo "Queen", "Get on your bikes and *ride*!".
    That's all there needs to be to it. If you're contending with traffic get a copy of John Franklin's
    "Cyclecraft" (Amazon have it) and read it to maximise your safety and awareness on the road.

    > any good products that i can fix to myself or bike to tell me how far i've cycled?

    Ask for a cycle computer in your local bike shop (LBS). The basic ones are quite cheap (few pounds)
    and tell you how fast you've been going as well as how far. They're very popular and common, though
    I've always just looked at the local map for an idea of how far I've been or, sometimes more
    importantly, how far I still have to go. Maps are handy for spying out new routes in advance too.

    > and any events, more fun than serious racing that i could aim for???

    Very probably. Find out if you have a local cycle club. Many are serious sports operations that are
    racing or speed oriented, but there are plenty just interested in getting about at their own pace.
    The Cycle Touring Club (CTC) may well run local rides in your area, and they tend to be fairly
    trundly and won't leave anyone behind.

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  3. >i'm sure you get this all the time but i'm new.

    Greetings.

    >i'm female and 20 years old and LOVE cycling.

    Enjoyment of cycling is a good start ;-)

    >i'm not amazing at it and only know what i can do from the bike in the gym but i know i can go
    >further and longer outdoors.

    *Real* cycling out in the fresh air is *much niver* than cycling in the gym - anyway, I think so :)

    >i just wanted to know if anyone had any good ideas for a beginner programme?

    Get out on your bike and ride. It's that simple! Depending on your level of fitness, set your route
    & distance accordingly.

    >any good products that i can fix to myself or bike to tell me how far i've cycled?

    Yup - you can get computers to fix to the handlebars that can tell you stuff like distance covered
    on this trip, cumulative distances over time, current speed, average speed, time... all sorts of
    stuff. Prices go from about £5 upwards.

    >and any events, more fun than serious racing that i could aim for???

    CTC (Cyclists' Touring Club) is a good starting point (see www.ctc.org.uk) and for a very reasonable
    joining fee you get all sorts of benefits including third party insurance.

    Another one is doing Audax events - see http://www.audax.uk.net/index.htm for details

    If you are fit and want to give racing a go some time, see the British Cycling web site for details
    of clubs all over the UK. The web site is at http://www.bcf.uk.com/

    Another racing organisation is the CTT (Cycling Time Trials) and their web site is at
    http://www.rttc.org.uk/

    Whatever cycling you do - enjoy it.

    Cheers, helen s

  4. davebee

    davebee New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2004
    whereabouts are you based? Its just I could do with a riding buddy. :)

    If you are anywhere near manchester give me a shout on [email protected] (im 20 by the way)

    In any case, get involved and go for it!

  5. > Very probably. Find out if you have a local cycle club. Many are serious sports operations that
    > are racing or speed oriented, but there are plenty just interested in getting about at their own
    > pace. The Cycle Touring Club (CTC) may well run local rides in your area, and they tend to be
    > fairly trundly and won't leave anyone behind.

    Your local bike shop should be able to tell you about the local cycling groups/clubs. If it's a half
    decent LBS the bloke you're talking to is probably a member!

    ---

  6. Graham

    Graham Guest

    "davebee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > whereabouts are you based? Its just I could do with a riding buddy. :)

    I bet you could ;-)

    Graham

    > If you are anywhere near manchester give me a shout on
    > [email protected] (im 20 by the way)
    >

    > In any case, get involved and go for it!
    >

    > --

  7. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Goldi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > and any events, more fun than serious racing that i could aim for???

    Whether on or off-road charity rides generally offer a laid back event with a good atmosphere and
    sense of comaraderie, you don't have to raise sponsorship so don't feel over obligated and if you
    don't but have enjoyed yourself make a personal contribution. Off-road rides are usually great fun
    (depending on your idea of "fun" of course ;-) and although some riders take them quite seriously
    for most they're a day out doing what they enjoy and are accordingly laid-back, although most offer
    shorter courses a complete beginner may find them a bit much but they are something to aim for and
    both you and this year are young
    :)

    http://www.bikemagic.co.uk/

    http://www.bike-events.com/