HID Recommendations for Commuting?

"David Murata" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:_7vhb.727527$uu5.123779@sccrnsc04...
> Does anybody have any recommendations for any of the HID lights for commuting?

I'm not an expert on HID, but you should be sure to also get a good tail light (NOT an LED blinker).
One of the Lightman strobes, or a 12 volt strobe wired to the HID battery.

The primary advantage of HID is that it is more power efficient. You can buy sufficient halogen
lights, but they will draw more power for the same light output. My commute is about 9 miles and 45
minutes and I have found that two 14W sealed beam headlamps are more than enough, and I could
increase these to 25W with no problem. One of the problems with the MR11 and MR16 based bicycle
lights is that they look too much like bicycle lights to motorists. The sealed beams look more like
motorcycle lights.

Steve http://bicyclelighting.com

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 03:33:48 GMT, "Steven M. Scharf" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm not an expert on HID, but you should be sure to also get a good tail light (NOT an LED
>blinker). One of the Lightman strobes, or a 12 volt strobe wired to the HID battery.

LEDs can be ok. I use this: http://www.niterider.com/products/bike_taillight02.html

It's connected to the same battery as the Niterider Blowtorch HID I have. It's pretty bright enough
for sure, like a car's brake-light. Draws 1.1W blinking or 3W in continous mode.

You can also use it on a separate 6V frame-mount battery.

Jens Kr. Kirkebø <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 03:33:48 GMT, "Steven M. Scharf" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I'm not an expert on HID, but you should be sure to also get a good tail light (NOT an LED
> >blinker). One of the Lightman strobes, or a 12 volt strobe wired to the HID battery.
>
> LEDs can be ok. I use this: http://www.niterider.com/products/bike_taillight02.html
>
> It's connected to the same battery as the Niterider Blowtorch HID I have. It's pretty bright
> enough for sure, like a car's brake-light. Draws 1.1W blinking or 3W in continous mode.
>
> You can also use it on a separate 6V frame-mount battery.

Well, Niterider seems to be getting a big mention here, which is understandable. I'd just like to
introduce the possibility of another manufacturer that perhaps people in America et al might not be
quite so familiar with. Take a look at www.lupine.de and the Edison system if you want something
that takes things to a new level. I have been using the 'Edison 10' for over one year now with zero
problems and total 'respect' from the four wheel/multi-wheel driving community i have the misfortune
to have to share the roads with over here in England. Highlights: Lithium-Ion smart battery with
eight hour burn time on the 'lower' (a very relative term- it's still very bright) power setting,
very nice handlebar mounted on/off switch with burn time indicator, and a truly inventive lamp
on/off mounting design- so simple and clean with no screw-on mounting bracket nonsense. Sadly, i
think that in America this light is going to be rather expensive when imported from the European
Union (it's a German company), but the best is never going to be cheap, and this isn't. Probably
about $1,000!! Start saving up now. Seriously though, i have a cycling friend who bought the
Niterider Blowtorch and the cables corroded away after only one English winter. Umm, i guess that
products made in sunny San Diego are just not designed with harsher climatic conditions in mind.
Note that German winters are much worse than English winters so i doubt that i'll have any such
problems with the Edison in this regard.

Finally, i can say that at last there is a cycling product that you guys in America will have to pay
an import premium on if you want the best. Normally we cyclists over in England feel the pain of
having to buy your great cycling equipment with at least 30% added to the price that you would pay
(Ti frames, Coombe pedals (really great design) et.c.). I would also recommend Ortlieb cycling bags
(another German company) and Carnac shoes (a French company).

Any recommendations on the 'best' rear light would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards, Jason Wright.