Hideous, hideous, hideous

Simonb

Guest
Basingstoke.

Today I took advantage of the fierce south-westerly and decided to cycle from Southampton to
Basingstoke via the Candovers (very posh); instead of battling against the wind all the way back, I
thought I'd catch the train.

Now, I've never cycled through Basingstoke before. Apart from it being possibly the most soul-less
place on earth, it has the most unfriendly road system I've ever come across: great, sweeping 50mph
roads piling up with queues at roundabouts and linking to more sweeping 50mph roads. Only about
1/4 mile from the 'town' centre did I see a 30 zone. I didn't see one cyclist on Basingstoke's
roads. I encountered many irate motorists.

Very nicely surfaced roads. Home of the AA.

Hideous.

Simon

"Simonb" <[email protected]>typed

> Basingstoke.

> Hideous.

I can recommend Roman Road, which is the continuation of Kempshott Lane/ Old Kempshott Lane off the
A30 and is a good way of just about bypassing Roundabout City, if approaching from the SouthWest.

You also need a good map.

I can also slate the Hilton National Hotel in Basingstoke. Couldn't supply me with cake/pastry when
I arrived at 11.30 one morning having cycled 40 miles from Hillingdon :-(

Hideous.

"Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Basingstoke.

> Now, I've never cycled through Basingstoke before. Apart from it being possibly the most soul-less
> place on earth, it has the most unfriendly
road
> system I've ever come across: great, sweeping 50mph roads piling up with queues at roundabouts and
> linking to more sweeping 50mph roads. Only about
> 1/4 mile from the 'town' centre did I see a 30 zone. I didn't see one cyclist on Basingstoke's
> roads. I encountered many irate motorists.

It's nice on a motorbike...

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

> I can recommend Roman Road, which is the continuation of Kempshott Lane/ Old Kempshott Lane off
> the A30 and is a good way of just about bypassing Roundabout City, if approaching from the
> SouthWest.

Thanks for the tip. I will use it when I next need to get round Basingstoke. But this time I had to
enter the city to get to the station.

Simon

Simonb wrote:

> Basingstoke.
>
> Today I took advantage of the fierce south-westerly and decided to cycle from Southampton to
> Basingstoke via the Candovers (very posh); instead of battling against the wind all the way back,
> I thought I'd catch the train.
>
> Now, I've never cycled through Basingstoke before. Apart from it being possibly the most soul-
> less place on earth, it has the most unfriendly road system I've ever come across: great,
> sweeping 50mph roads piling up with queues at roundabouts and linking to more sweeping 50mph
> roads. Only about
> 1/4 mile from the 'town' centre did I see a 30 zone. I didn't see one cyclist on Basingstoke's
> roads. I encountered many irate motorists.
>
> Very nicely surfaced roads. Home of the AA.
>
> Hideous.

Oi you. That's my home town you're talking about.

But luckily I escaped 20 years ago :)

But got to go back tomorrow for some Games Workshop LOTR battles :-(

John B

I lived there until 1962 - it was a great place with plenty of places for kids to play. Sleepy and
quaint. Our house backed onto woods and fields - Stratfield Road - but there is just motorway there
now, according to the map. A great shame and I am glad I don't live there now.

berlin.de...

Simonb wrote:

> Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
>
> > I can recommend Roman Road, which is the continuation of Kempshott Lane/ Old Kempshott Lane off
> > the A30 and is a good way of just about bypassing Roundabout City, if approaching from the
> > SouthWest.
> >

> Thanks for the tip. I will use it when I next need to get round Basingstoke. But this time I had
> to enter the city to get to the station.

Most of the main town footpath routes through the estates are open to cyclists. but you need to know
where they are.

And what's this about it being a city?

John B

Simonb wrote:
> Basingstoke.

I try to avoid the South East of England but I did attend a course in Hursley (IBM of course) just
before Christmas and I had the great pleasure of visiting Basingstoke one evening to watch Ice
Hockey. Much to my delight I found a separate foot/bike path leading from the town centre to the ice
ring keeping us away from the traffic. The path was pretty dark but used by a few cycling commuters
and a few scrotes on motor scooters, stolen I presume as they had no helmets with them.

It's where I live too and it's a damn site better than the grotty city I used to live in. Basigstoke
is an excellent base from which one can make many very good cycling trips. Yes there are loads of
idiots in cars but that's the same anywhere. The town may be a bit sad but I'd prefer to shop here
than many of the surrounding towns (except perhaps Winchester).

Lay off Basingstoke. It may be the butt of jokes but compared to many unmentionable towns and cities
in the UK it's an absolute diamond of a place.

Smudger wrote:
> It's where I live too and it's a damn site better than the grotty city I used to live in.
> Basigstoke is an excellent base from which one can make many very good cycling trips. Yes there
> are loads of idiots in cars but that's the same anywhere. The town may be a bit sad but I'd prefer
> to shop here than many of the surrounding towns (except perhaps Winchester).
>
> Lay off Basingstoke. It may be the butt of jokes but compared to many unmentionable towns and
> cities in the UK it's an absolute diamond of a place.

It has a well planned road system - for cars - and doesn't suffer the same gridlock as, say,
Swindon, where the road system seems to have evolved into the mess it's in today.

"Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Smudger wrote:
> > It's where I live too and it's a damn site better than the grotty city I used to live in.
> > Basigstoke is an excellent base from which one can
make
> > many very good cycling trips. Yes there are loads of idiots in cars but that's the same
> > anywhere. The town may be a bit sad but I'd prefer to
shop
> > here than many of the surrounding towns (except perhaps Winchester).
> >
> > Lay off Basingstoke. It may be the butt of jokes but compared to many unmentionable towns and
> > cities in the UK it's an absolute diamond of a place.
> >

> It has a well planned road system - for cars - and doesn't suffer the same gridlock as, say,
> Swindon, where the road system seems to have evolved into the mess it's in today.

Why the for cars caveat? I mean, surely any reasonable competant cyclist can cope with such roads?
And surely cylists benefit from not having to stop for signals every hundred yards?

Now I appreciate that the behaviour of some road users on such roads may be dangerous, but to blame
the roads is somewhat like blaming "dangerous trees".

Nathaniel Porter wrote:

> Now I appreciate that the behaviour of some road users on such roads may be dangerous, but to
> blame the roads is somewhat like blaming "dangerous trees".

I had no difficulty dealing with the road system. But that is not to say it makes any allowances for
cyclists. It's a shitty road system.

Simon

"Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Nathaniel Porter wrote:
>
> > Now I appreciate that the behaviour of some road users on such roads may be dangerous, but to
> > blame the roads is somewhat like blaming "dangerous trees".
>
> I had no difficulty dealing with the road system. But that is not to say
it
> makes any allowances for cyclists. It's a shitty road system.

Central London's road system makes no allowances for motorists. Should we demolish half of London to
fix that? Or should motorists just work with what is there?

Likewise for cyclists in Basingstoke. It's a perfectly adequate, usable road system. It maybe not be
ideal for you usage, but I'm afraid thats life.

Nathaniel Porter wrote:

> Central London's road system makes no allowances for motorists. Should we demolish half of London
> to fix that? Or should motorists just work with what is there?

I never go to London. Can't comment.

> Likewise for cyclists in Basingstoke. It's a perfectly adequate, usable road system. It maybe not
> be ideal for you usage, but I'm afraid thats life.

I understand that. That's why I said I'll avoid it in future. ****-hole that it is.

Simon

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 14:21:22 -0000, "Simonb"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Basingstoke.

I used to have a link to a spoof Basingstoke newspaper, but I've lost it. Bah!

The secretary of Reaidng CTC lives there. You can make your way around the place, but it's a pain in
the ****. Typical New Town "planning."

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

Nathaniel Porter wrote:

> Why the for cars caveat? I mean, surely any reasonable competant cyclist can cope with such roads?
> And surely cylists benefit from not having to stop for signals every hundred yards?

Nah...it's all fast (a lot of 70mph) dual carriageways, slip roads and roundabouts. I took my
driving test there in preference to Newbury, which is your classic congested market town with narrow
back streets. The pass rate was higher in Basingstoke!

In message <[email protected]>, Smudger
<[email protected]> writes
>It's where I live too and it's a damn site better than the grotty city I used to live in.
>Basigstoke is an excellent base from which one can make many very good cycling trips. Yes there are
>loads of idiots in cars but that's the same anywhere. The town may be a bit sad but I'd prefer to
>shop here than many of the surrounding towns (except perhaps Winchester).
>
>Lay off Basingstoke. It may be the butt of jokes but compared to many unmentionable towns and
>cities in the UK it's an absolute diamond of a place.

I worked there for two years and lived in it for one, but wouldn't call it a diamond. Marginally
better than Bracknell, perhaps.

For my first few weeks at work I lived in Alton, and as public transport between the two only
operated from 10am until 4pm and I didn't have a car, I had no option but to cycle. It was October
and usually dark on my home journey.

After three weeks of this I got a flat share in Brighton Hill and cycled from there to near the
town centre.

--
congokid Good restaurants in London? Number one on Google http://congokid.com

"Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Nathaniel Porter wrote:
>
> > Why the for cars caveat? I mean, surely any reasonable competant cyclist
can
> > cope with such roads? And surely cylists benefit from not having to stop
for
> > signals every hundred yards?
>
> Nah...it's all fast (a lot of 70mph) dual carriageways, slip roads and roundabouts.

But surely thats better than a crowded, narrow high street?

Now as I said, I appreciate that bad drivers may cause more of a problem on fast roads - but bad
driving isn't the road's fault.

>I took my driving test there in preference to Newbury, which is your classic congested market town
>with narrow back streets. The pass rate was higher in Basingstoke!

Which you'd expect, as the road system is designed for cars in Basingstoke, whereas Newbury's road
system largely just happened. I don't see what that's got to do with cycling in Basingstoke though.