High 5-minute power; Increasing FTP?

I think it's pretty odd to base power workouts on anything but max power for that duration, as you say on the thread ratio of 5 minute to 1 hour power varies considerably, why would you use 1 hour power for deciding your 5 minute power targets?

Personally I'd base everything on what I can achieve for the duration, and then adjust on if I could complete the workout or not the previous time I did it.

I suspect your coach is just being lazy and cookie cutter on the approach, he might come up with some great reasoning.

Personally I wouldn't set a power target for intervals that short, they should be done at best effort. If you are under pacing them by setting a power target that is too low you aren't getting the most out of them.

Originally Posted by batman220

So question kind of related to this old thread:

I have better 5m power (345-350w) than 20m power (275-285w) and subsequent estimate of FTP. At 76.8 kg. I am able to put out higher power then most people in my category for shorter periods, can do them more often and recover better from them. But the longer efforts of 10 minutes and above I am heavier and am not as good holding that long of a consistent effort.

My coach provides VO2 intervals such as 40/20s, 30/30s, 20/40s, 1-2m, etc. as 120%-140% of FTP.

QUESTION: Since I have a higher 5m power compared to FTP, Should I error on the side of higher power for the V02 intervals?

An example might be 4 reps of 40/20s @ 120% or 304 watts, 4 reps of 30/30s @130% or 329 watts, and 4 reps of 20/40s @ 140% or 354 watts with 5 minutes rest in between.

Originally Posted by kclw
Personally I wouldn't set a power target for intervals that short, they should be done at best effort. If you are under pacing them by setting a power target that is too low you aren't getting the most out of them.
I disagree. That's what a power meter is for: Test and experiment. If you're doing "x" minute intervals, do a "x" minute test and start out at 90% of your test value and adjust from there.

Don't sweat the small stuff. If you're targeted wattage is too low or too high, simply adjust for the next workout. After all, it's only 1 workout.

Dave

Originally Posted by dkrenik
I disagree. That's what a power meter is for: Test and experiment. If you're doing "x" minute intervals, do a "x" minute test and start out at 90% of your test value and adjust from there.
+1. I think 90%MP is a good target power for training segments throughout the power-duration curve > 5secs. There is a volume vs. intensity tradeoff, so as intensity increases volume decreases. In this tradeoff, I favor volume over intensity.

My daily variation in maximal sub 5 minute is larger than 90% (due to motivation, whatever) so some days doing that target would make the effort maximal, or if the test wasn't on a maximal day it would make it potentially easy. Because of that daily variation I will always do efforts to PE, guided somewhat by the power obtained to help calibrate it.

Also, the difference over those durations will be hugely dependant on terrain available.

Originally Posted by JibberJim
why would you use 1 hour power for deciding your 5 minute power targets?
'cause it's a good starting point:

That said, as I wrote when introducing the training levels back in 2001: the ultimate reference is the power that the athlete has previously produced during similar recent workouts.

It might be a reasonable estimate if you only had 60 minute, but 5 minute power is correlated much better with 5 minute power than 60. It's pointless using it unless you've not got a clue what the 5 minute power is, which would be extremely unlikely, and easily remedied by a test.

And yet, training levels based on FTP have been widely adopted, e.g., by British Cycling...go figure!

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/article/20120925-Power-Calculator-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoggan
And yet, training levels based on FTP have been widely adopted, e.g., by British Cycling...go figure!

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/article/20120925-Power-Calculator-0

I see a couple calculators on that page. I don't see any claims supporting training at that levels. I don't see any claims that their training program is effective for the non-professional. I don't see any claims that one can train at those levels. Sort of worthless for information for training.

Genetics indicates what level of training is best for an individual. Without genetic tests it is best to do 5 minute intervals and see what you can sustain and what benefits they provide. Most people will find better ways to train.

Originally Posted by An old Guy
I see a couple calculators on that page.
Both are based on this:

http://lists.topica.com/lists/wattage/read/message.html?mid=901936066

Originally Posted by acoggan

Both are based on this:

http://lists.topica.com/lists/wattage/read/message.html?mid=901936066
This is not about how much you can pump yourself up.

Saw an abstract on a recent study which looked at intervals as short as 30 seconds: Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports, Jan 2014). The all-out short intervals were compared with 5 min and 40 min all-out intervals in twice-weekly workouts over 10 weeks.

Results were that the group that did the 30 second all-out intervals showed the most gains in max power output and VO2 max at the end of the training period. Perhaps someone (Dr. Coggan?) who has access to this journal can elaborate on the results.

Believe the theory is that max intervals, even short ones, get our HR and breathing up to the point of oxygen debt. And it's this condition that stimulates the good adaptations in the mitochondria and cardio-vascular system.

Originally Posted by dhk2

Saw an abstract on a recent study which looked at intervals as short as 30 seconds: Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports, Jan 2014). The all-out short intervals were compared with 5 min and 40 min all-out intervals in twice-weekly workouts over 10 weeks.

Results were that the group that did the 30 second all-out intervals showed the most gains in max power output and VO2 max at the end of the training period. Perhaps someone (Dr. Coggan?) who has access to this journal can elaborate on the results.

Believe the theory is that max intervals, even short ones, get our HR and breathing up to the point of oxygen debt. And it's this condition that stimulates the good adaptations in the mitochondria and cardio-vascular system.
Might want to read up on Veronique Billat's work. Billat promotes the numerous, shorter, "micro-interval" type of workouts for development of VO2max.

I feel like I also need to increase the length of my rides as well because I feel as if I am not losing the amount of weight that I would like to. I also wish to increase my stamina greatly and I think that three-hour rides would definitely put me in a position to increase my stamina to the next level.