High Beams

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by stucey, Mar 4, 2004.

  1. stucey

    stucey New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2003
    Do many of you cyclists have problems with traffic not dipping their headlights for you at night time. I have started riding a bit at night, and found alot of motorists to leave them on high beam......quite annoying!:mad:

    Tags:

  2. amirm

    amirm New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2003
    I use two headlights (Vistalite) during winter. One is wide angle low wattage adjusted for low beam. The second is stronger which I use as high beam (I got a spotlight style globe rather than wide beam globe). When motorist don't dim their light, I use my high beam.

    David against Goliath, I know. But I won't go down without a fight! :D

  3. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "stucey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Do many of you cyclists have problems with traffic not dipping their headlights for you at night
    > time. I have started riding a bit at night, and found alot of motorists to leave them on high
    > beam......quite annoying!:mad:

    Build yourself a SLA light rig with some 50w spots aimed at driver eye level...

    Actually don't do that, it's just silly. But it is getting darker and darker now. What are people
    doing for their light setups? What funky new products are out there that will make me lighter,
    brighter and warmer?

    A lot of cars have poorly adjusted lights, so the drivers may not even be aware their lights are too
    bright (i.e. not even on high beam). Also, the fact that they don't dip their lights could mean that
    you are not visible to them front-on. Maybe you need to check your front light?

    hippy

  4. amirm

    amirm New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2003
    My winter light set up will come on soon. I have wired it incorporating a toggle switch. While I have two separate head units hooked up, only one is on at any moment. With the toggle switch which sits near my tumb, I toggle between low and high beams as necessary. The entire wiring is strapped to the frame during winter, so I take only the battery off every time for recharge. It's pretty neat and functional.

    Cheers,

  5. With the brightness of my headlight, many motorists probably don't know what I am heading towards
    them, especially if I am moving slowly, otherwise they might think I am a motorbike. I mount my
    light unit pointing forward, not down; that way it lights up the road further ahead and lights up
    reflective signs and lines on the road, and consequently also shines into peoples eyes. Sometimes
    motorists put their lights from low beam to high beam as they approach me. There is no brightness
    adjustability on this unit, and I can't adjust the angle of mounting while riding. However, I like
    how bright it is and how long it runs, so it makes it much more safe to ride in the dark. So I don't
    worry about it shining in other peoples eyes, just so long as its shining where I'm heading.

    "stucey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Do many of you cyclists have problems with traffic not dipping their
    headlights for you at night time. I have started riding a bit at night, and found alot of motorists
    to leave them on high beam......quite annoying!:mad:

    > --

  6. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    > "stucey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Do many of you cyclists have problems with traffic not dipping their headlights for you at night
    > > time. I have started riding a bit at night, and found alot of motorists to leave them on high
    > > beam......quite annoying!:mad:
    >
    > Build yourself a SLA light rig with some 50w spots aimed at driver eye level...
    >
    > Actually don't do that, it's just silly. But it is getting darker and darker now. What are people
    > doing for their light setups? What funky new products are out there that will make me lighter,
    > brighter and warmer?

    I just use 2 * 10w on a 6v SLA. I find that that is sufficient even on the unlit roads I ride
    although I suppose a 12v 40-50w total setup would be nice.

    I use 3 rear flashes (used to use a disco inferno but it broke twice so stopped). I just use 3 rear
    flashers (cheap $10 jaycar type but bright - 5led each) and arrange one on back of saddle tool bag
    and one near each drop out. This is a triangle pattern. All on flash and I keep the batteries fresh
    (use rechargables recharged weekly). Even though LED's quote long battery life there is nothing like
    fresh batteries to make them shine.

    Keep them clean (goes with headlights too). I get a few sneers and snickers from cars every now and
    then due to the moving disco but hey... I like it when people do that. Means that I am very
    noticable.

    I also wondered if wearing a multi coloured clown wig on my helmet would help visibility. I think
    something different catches peoples eye. I am not worried about what others think of me though so
    that maybe an advantage.

    Pete

  7. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    "amirm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hippy wrote:
    > > "stucey" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    [email protected]:[email protected]
    > > ver.com...
    > > > Do many of you cyclists have problems with traffic not dipping their headlights for you at
    > > > night time. I have started riding a bit at night, and found alot of motorists to leave them
    > > > on high beam......quite annoying!:mad:
    > > Build yourself a SLA light rig with some 50w spots aimed at driver eye level... Actually don't
    > > do that, it's just silly. But it is getting darker and darker now. What are people doing for
    > > their light setups? What funky
    new
    > > products are out there that will make me lighter, brighter and warmer? A lot of cars have
    > > poorly adjusted lights, so the drivers may not even be aware their lights are too bright (i.e.
    > > not even on high beam).
    Also,
    > > the fact that they don't dip their lights could mean that you are not visible to them front-
    > > on. Maybe you need to check your front light? hippy
    >
    > My winter light set up will come on soon. I have wired it incorporating a toggle switch. While I
    > have two separate head units hooked up, only one is on at any moment. With the toggle switch which
    > sits near my tumb, I toggle between low and high beams as necessary. The entire wiring is strapped
    > to the frame during winter, so I take only the battery off every time for recharge. It's pretty
    > neat and functional.
    >
    > Cheers,

    I always wanted to rig it so I didnt have to remove my battery. However I found that my commute
    being 21km's each way is a big drain that needs a solid recharge. A good 12 hours of charging. So
    therefore I ended up with 3 batteries. One kept at work on charge, one for the ride and one at home
    on charge. That way it was a rotational thing with some long charge times for each battery.

  8. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    "amirm" wrote

    > When motorist don't dim their light, I use my high beam.

    That's a brilliant idea. Try to blind the operator of an oncoming one and a half tonne
    lump of metal.

    Theo

  9. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    "Laurence Dodd" wrote

    > I don't worry about it shining in other peoples eyes, just so long
    as its
    > shining where I'm heading.

    I hope you don't complain about cars with lights aimed at your eyes then.

    Theo

  10. amirm

    amirm New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2003
    Theo:

    Don't be bashful. :) The follow up sentence said that my lights won't be as strong, so it's only a matter of gesture.

    Amir.

  11. amirm

    amirm New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2003
    Hi Pete:

    I guess I'm lucky that ~8 hour charge is enough for me. I commute in mornings after sunrise, so I need the light only during the ride back home. I hook the battery on charger every morning as I arrive, so it's ready to roll in the evening.

    Amir.

  12. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Same setup here for the last 6-7 years
    Same hi-beam antics. got one guy complain cos he couldnt see
    (As he drove on the wrong side of the road!!!)
    when I pointed out to him that his hi-beams were on, he shutup

  13. Nick Payne

    Nick Payne Guest

    I find that if I'm using a Cateye stadium light then most cars dip their lights. If I've got a
    Cateye LED headlight then they don't.

    I also find that they're much less likely to turn right in front of me when I'm using the stadium
    light...they probably think there's something more substantial than a bicycle behind the light.

    Nick

    stucey wrote:
    > Do many of you cyclists have problems with traffic not dipping their headlights for you at night
    > time. I have started riding a bit at night, and found alot of motorists to leave them on high
    > beam......quite annoying!:mad:

  14. On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 23:56:38 GMT, "John Doe" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I also wondered if wearing a multi coloured clown wig on my helmet would help visibility. I think
    >something different catches peoples eye. I am not worried about what others think of me though so
    >that maybe an advantage.

    You'd think that being different, you'd stand out, wouldn't you? Not so, apparently.

    Don't forget that experiment where people were asked to watch other people going past them, and
    where then asked to recall what they'd seen. None, apparently, noticed the man in the gorilla suit.

    ---
    Cheers

    PeterC

    [Rushing headlong: out of control - and there ain't no stopping]
    [and there's nothing you can do about it at all]

  15. On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 00:55:15 GMT, "Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"Laurence Dodd" wrote
    >
    >> I don't worry about it shining in other peoples eyes, just so long
    >as its
    >> shining where I'm heading.
    >
    >I hope you don't complain about cars with lights aimed at your eyes then.

    Yeah. I was reading that bit and wondering at double standards.

    Or maybe he meant he didn't aim it at people's eyes, but aimed it for light up where he was heading?
    The first is intentional, the second incidental.

    ---
    Cheers

    PeterC

    [Rushing headlong: out of control - and there ain't no stopping]
    [and there's nothing you can do about it at all]

  16. amirm

    amirm New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2003
    Size matters, definitely.

  17. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Back to topic. What's the legalities of cars using high beam in the city and built up areas? From heresay, I was always lead to believe it was a minor traffic offence.

    Being temporarily blinded at night by high beams from an oncoming car is bloody dangerous. Four years ago I almost slammed into a parked ute while doing an estimated 40-45k down Albion St in West Brunswick, due to being momentarily blinded by a car lights. Luckily I swerved out with just 1-2m to spare before hitting the tray. The offending driver travelling towards Brunswick probably didn't even notice.

  18. I have a halogen Cateye front lamp, can't remember the particulat type, but it takes 4xAA batteries.
    These days there are 2100mA/hour rechargeable batteries which give it more burn time.....about 4
    hours from memory.

    I find the cateye is bright enough to see where your going, & if the road is already bright enough
    then I leave it pointing straight into oncoming drivers anyways. I'd had a few instances on a long
    overnight ride on unlit roads where oncoming cars did not dip their lights, I pivoted up the bar-
    mounted cateye into their eyes, & they soon responded with dipping their lights....thought it was
    pretty good set up. The lamp is designed to pivot to the right & left, & I could also pivot it up &
    down if it wasn't hand adjust too tightly on the bars.

    There is/was a "water bottle" rechargeable battery pack for this cateye which was expensive, but I
    found that a lamp battery (which is also avail as rechargeable tho I've only seen NiCad ...no NiMh)
    fits in the bottle cage.....secured in with an old pedal strap it works out fine. Some wire taped to
    the frame & croc clips to the battery. Using the terminals extending already outside the lamp (for
    the over-the-counter recharge pack) some connector tabs could be modified to fit in place without
    hacking the the thing to bits.

    Rear lamps are 2 flashing lamps.

    I like to wear reflective bands, too.

    cheers

    Rob

    "John Doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    server.bigpond.net.au...

    > "amirm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hippy wrote:
    > > > "stucey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > >
    > [email protected]:[email protected]
    > > > ver.com...
    > > > Build yourself a SLA light rig with some 50w spots aimed at driver eye level... Actually
    > > > don't do that, it's just silly. But it is getting darker
    and
    > > > darker now. What are people doing for their light setups? What funky
    > new
    > > > products are out there that will make me lighter, brighter and
    warmer?
    > > > A lot of cars have poorly adjusted lights, so the drivers may not
    even
    > > > be aware their lights are too bright (i.e. not even on high beam).
    > Also,
    > > > the fact that they don't dip their lights could mean that you are
    not
    > > > visible to them front-on. Maybe you need to check your front light? hippy
    > >
    > > My winter light set up will come on soon. I have wired it incorporating a toggle switch. While I
    > > have two separate head units hooked up, only one is on at any moment. With the toggle switch
    > > which sits near my tumb, I toggle between low and high beams as necessary. The entire wiring is
    > > strapped to the frame during winter, so I take only the battery off every time for recharge.
    > > It's pretty neat and functional.
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > >

    > I always wanted to rig it so I didnt have to remove my battery. However I found that my commute
    > being 21km's each way is a big drain that needs a solid recharge. A good 12 hours of charging. So
    > therefore I ended up
    with
    > 3 batteries. One kept at work on charge, one for the ride and one at home on charge. That way it
    > was a rotational thing with some long charge times for each battery.

  19. amirm

    amirm New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2003
    Me, too. But what difference does it make?? Same old, same old. There are minor and major offences that are committed over an over, out of lack of knowledge, lack of care, lack of respect, etc. etc.

    The bottomline is that they happen. Who's to police/correct them? sigh :(

    Cheers,
    Amir.

  20. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    "Peter Cremasco" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 23:56:38 GMT, "John Doe" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I also wondered if wearing a multi coloured clown wig on my helmet would help visibility. I think
    > >something different catches peoples eye. I am
    not
    > >worried about what others think of me though so that maybe an advantage.
    >
    > You'd think that being different, you'd stand out, wouldn't you? Not so, apparently.
    >
    > Don't forget that experiment where people were asked to watch other people going past them,
    > and where then asked to recall what they'd seen. None, apparently, noticed the man in the
    > gorilla suit.

    Wow. Thats funny.