High Blood Pressure

Brian21

Nov 22, 2005
I found out I had High Blood Pressure a number of years ago, and take medication to control it.

I was wondering if any other cyclists use Blood Pressure Monitors at home as part of their training regiment or just to keep better track of it....

What kind of monitors do you suggest....?
is there a model which can be used during training...ie spinning,etc...??
how do you incorparate the monitor into your training...?
is there a combined heart/blood pressure monitor for cyclists...?

Any help would be useful...

Thanks Brian

I use a home monitor (I think I bought it at Wal-Mart, I forget) for periodic checking of mine. They are all pretty much the same. However, BP is not like heart rate which is useful to know during a workout. BP changes all the time, it increases during exercise but that is a normal and good thing. What you are concerned with is BP when you are relaxed. This tells you how hard your heart is working all the time. Monitoring it during a workout wouldnt provide any useful information.

Good luck

I have also just found out that I have high BP. I train 5 days a week (mostly endurance rides and one interval day). I have a BP cuff that I can use myself. I check it once a week. I haven't incorporated it into training - my limited understanding of BP during exercise is that it rises substantially. It's the resting BP that my nurse + wife tells me to watch.

How has your medication affected your riding performance - or has it? I'm just about to start meds and am worried how it might impact my training.

Square1 said:
I have also just found out that I have high BP. I train 5 days a week (mostly endurance rides and one interval day).

Why do you have HBP when you train a lot? Are you way overweight? Or is it from the foode you eat?

Neither. I'm 5'9" 165 lbs, and I eat a low-fat vegan diet. I might be able to bring it down a bit by cutting out added salt and beer (grrr), but it would probably still be considered high.

60% of hypertension is lifestyle related, 40% is genetics. I could do everything exactly right and still have high BP.

It's all in the family.

I have high blood pressure diagnosed in my late 20s. My lifestyle did not help, but I am sure that most of it was due to genetics.

I use a cuff type of monitor.

The only time I had my pressure monitored while performing excercise was in a heart stress test. Thats to test the health of the heart under load.

yep i was diagnoised about a year ago with high blood preasure , i've always been active ate the right foods , i'm 42 years old ,6' 3" 198 pounds fairly muscular......
my doctor prescribed a couple of pills that i take now and initially i found myself getting a little light headed.....but that could have been my mind playing tricks on me , everything is perfect now , good healthy heart rate and my BP is perfect:)
i've spoken to doctors and researched the reason why a healthy , active person would have HBP , what i've discovered , sometimes it's diet , lack of exercise but most of the time it's genetics....
i've been told that you should choose your parents well;)

don't worry , Brian21 , you can still be active and cycle as much as you want , if anything having HBP has gotten me more active with cycling....
i check my BP in the mornings about twice a week before excercise...
i use a bp cuff monitor with heartrate indicator , another person who you would never expect to have HBP , is Joe Montana QB 49ers

I've been in and out of Dr's offices for the past three months trying to figure out what to do. Two days ago the diagnosis was finalized - essential hypertension, a problem that no change in lifestyle can solve (help, yes, but not solve). I was put on an ARB (Angiotensin II Receptor Blocker) called Avapro on Tuesday, and my BP was down to 117/78 by Thursday from 165/95.

Does anyone have experience with this type of drug? How has it affected your cycling performance? Any precautions?

Square1 said:
I've been in and out of Dr's offices for the past three months trying to figure out what to do. Two days ago the diagnosis was finalized - essential hypertension, a problem that no change in lifestyle can solve (help, yes, but not solve). I was put on an ARB (Angiotensin II Receptor Blocker) called Avapro on Tuesday, and my BP was down to 117/78 by Thursday from 165/95.

Does anyone have experience with this type of drug? How has it affected your cycling performance? Any precautions?
I have to take Diovan hct and have so, for a few years now with good results; 120/80...without it I can go up to 190/98. If only I could lose about 175 pounds; a teenage son helps pile on the pounds. :D

From what I understand and I am not a doctor but there are 2 types of BP medicine, one's that slow your heart rate down and one's that diolate your blood vessels. As a cyclist you probably want to look at the kind that diolate. I take atacand which does not interfere with my training. Also I found that it takes about 3 months for this medicine to fully take effect. I am happy to say that my BP is now under control.

rjdirgo said:
From what I understand and I am not a doctor but there are 2 types of BP medicine, one's that slow your heart rate down and one's that diolate your blood vessels. As a cyclist you probably want to look at the kind that diolate. I take atacand which does not interfere with my training. Also I found that it takes about 3 months for this medicine to fully take effect. I am happy to say that my BP is now under control.
Yes, my problem is probably the vasodilator kind. My doctor compared it to a garden hose that's been kept outside in the sun. When once it was flexible and soft and giving, it gets harder, inflexible and more likely to snap.

Such is life, eh?

Try Hawthorn Tea.

Hawthorne is a prickly hedge that is probably European in origin but common now around the world. Tea can be made from the leaves flowers and berries. I use berries and crush them when needed because they keep. The prepared product is often available in health food stores.

Hawthorn is a proven agent for lowering blood pressure, has other health benefits and unlike synthetic medications has no known adverse side-effects.

Jay.

otherworld said:
Try Hawthorn Tea.

Hawthorne is a prickly hedge that is probably European in origin but common now around the world. Tea can be made from the leaves flowers and berries. I use berries and crush them when needed because they keep. The prepared product is often available in health food stores.

Hawthorn is a proven agent for lowering blood pressure, has other health benefits and unlike synthetic medications has no known adverse side-effects.

Jay.
thanks....I tried a pre made preparation in capsule form...didn't work but perhaps if I can find it myself and brew it up, it would be worthwhile. Good thing my spouse was a botany major in college.....probably would say, don't eat a thing!!!! You HAVE to have special training. He is awfully carerfull.

I'm an unhappy member of this club, by virtue of heredity. If I am careful about what I do, I can usually keep in the 125 to 135 over 75 to 85 range. I use an Omiron cuff style monitor. I purchased a large cuff as I have a larger than 14" bicep. My vitamin regimen includes Coenzyme Q10, potassiuim, magnesium, Omega 3 (fish oil one day, flaxseed oil the next) and garlic. I also started drinking Hibiscus tea based upon some favorable studies. The tea seems to have had some of the most impressive results. I make it as iced tea, mixed with cinnamon or orange spice tea for flavor. I am considering asking my Dr. about a Thiazide diuretic as this is supposed to be a good first line (cheap and effective) for hypertension, and also helps to keep you from getting kidney stones. I have just gone through a sonic lipotripsy (failed) and then laser surgery (successful) to remove a large stone. I wouldn't wish such a thing on my worst enemy. Best of luck to all.

rjdirgo said:
There's at least seven different categories...

cholinergics, diuretics, beta-blockers, calcium channel inhibitors, angiotensin II receptor blockers, ACE inhibitors, centrally acting medications.

All have different effects, and all will affect your cycling performance in different ways.

I would suggest an AT2R blocker, or an ACE inhibitor if you're wanting to minimise the effect on strenuous aerobic efforts. These inhibit primary the physiological mechanism that increases blood pressure, and doesn't slow down your HR or affect your peripheral circulation. They do have some other side effects, which you may or may not experience and may or may not be able to cope with. Most people tolerate AT2RBs and ACE inhibitors quite well.

If your cholesterol is high as well, you might benefit from being on a statin in addition to your BP meds.

HTH,

nerdag

nerdag said:
There's at least seven different categories...

cholinergics, diuretics, beta-blockers, calcium channel inhibitors, angiotensin II receptor blockers, ACE inhibitors, centrally acting medications.

All have different effects, and all will affect your cycling performance in different ways.

I would suggest an AT2R blocker, or an ACE inhibitor if you're wanting to minimise the effect on strenuous aerobic efforts. These inhibit primary the physiological mechanism that increases blood pressure, and doesn't slow down your HR or affect your peripheral circulation. They do have some other side effects, which you may or may not experience and may or may not be able to cope with. Most people tolerate AT2RBs and ACE inhibitors quite well.

If your cholesterol is high as well, you might benefit from being on a statin in addition to your BP meds.

HTH,

nerdag
This is the best post so far. I would stay away from hawthorn tea and other "natural" or "herbal" remedies. There are two major problems with these. The first is that they have never been put through rigorous testing to determine if they work. The second is even more serious, and that is that there are no standards to ensure uniformity from batch to batch, from year to year, or from growing location to growing location. Everyone recognizes that wine from California can taste entirely different from wine made from the same grape variety grown in France or Italy. Everyone also recognizes that wine from grapes grown in one year does not taste exactly the same as wine made from the same grapes grown in the same location in a different year. The same is true of any botanical product. Where it is grown and when it is grown will affect the composition of the product. Also, remember that just because it is "natural" does not make it safe. Hemlock, bitter almond, and cobra venom are "natural" - deadly, but "natural".

I have been hypertensive since I was 16 years old. My blood pressure was just as high when I was 25 years old and weighed 175 pounds as it was when I was 50 years old and weighed 260 pounds. I take lisinopril (an ACE inhibitor) and hydrochlorothiazide (a diuretic), and my blood pressure is well controlled.

An ACE inhibitor (or AT2R blocker) or a diuretic is the best thing to try first. If one agent alone does not control blood pressure, then add the other. These would be the least likely to affect exercise and training abililty, and are the ones that show the most benefit in terms of long term outcome (preventing stroke, renal failure, and heart attacks). Prevention of the long term effects is the reason that blood pressure should be treated. The one potential problem with most of the diuretics is hypokalemia (low concentrations of potassium in the blood). This usually can be prevented by eating fruits, especially bananas and apricots, but some people do require potassium chloride supplements. Hypokalemia will have a negative impact on exercise and training ability.

Beta blockers also have been shown to prevent the long term effects of hypertension, but beta blockers do not allow the heart to speed up in response to stress or exercise. While this is a good thing if you are trying to reduce the workload of the heart and reduce blood pressure, it will have a negative impact on exercise and training ability. Some beta blockers are especially useful in preventing heart failure in patients who have already had a heart attack and in treating heart failure, but the real goal is to prevent these problems in the first place. Beta blockers are not a good choice in patients who have asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD - emphysema), because they can constrict the airways. This action, too, could cause a negative impact on exercise or training ability.

Calcium channel blockers should be reserved for patients who do not respond enough to the other agents. Head to head studies of calcium channel blockers and ACE inhibitors show that even though calcium channel blockers lower blood pressure better, ACE inhibitors are better at preventing the long term problems associated with high blood pressure. AT2R blockers are similar to ACE inhibitors in their effect, although they attack the problem from different sides. AT2R blockers block the effect of angiotensin II at the receptor. ACE inhibitors prevent the formation of angiotensin II. Even though AT2R blockers and ACE inhibitors should provide the same benefits (and most available data support this), there are far more data available on ACE inhibitors then there are on AT2R blockers.

Vasodilators are not used much now that the ACE inhibitors and AT2R blockers are available. Vasodilators do lower blood pressure, but they can increase the workload on the heart, and they can lead to some unpleasant and potentially dangerous side effects, particularly orthostatic hypotension (rapid fall in blood pressure upon standing). Orthostatic hypotension can be severe enough that people pass out when they stand up quickly. Vasodilators are still useful, though, in some patients in combination with other agents when ACE inhibitors (or AT2R blockers), diuretics, and beta blockers do not lower blood pressure adequately.

This is true; many natural things are quite frankly poison.....have a cuppa tea with me?

We have some nice deadly nightshade outside. I could fix us some lovely tea.

I will stick with Diovan 160/hct 12.5, thank you very much, for now.

ptlwp said:
This is true; many natural things are quite frankly poison.....have a cuppa tea with me?

We have some nice deadly nightshade outside. I could fix us some lovely tea.

I will stick with Diovan 160/hct 12.5, thank you very much, for now.
I can bring some foxglove and horse nettle from my yard to add to the tea. For me it is lisinopril 20/hctz 12.5. If I ever need digoxin, it will be Lanoxin, and not a tea made from digitalis (foxglove). I prefer knowing exactly how much of these useful, but potentially toxic compounds I am getting, rather than relying on what the growing conditions were or how long I steeped the leaves or how hot the water was.

RickF said:
I can bring some foxglove and horse nettle from my yard to add to the tea. For me it is lisinopril 20/hctz 12.5. If I ever need digoxin, it will be Lanoxin, and not a tea made from digitalis (foxglove). I prefer knowing exactly how much of these useful, but potentially toxic compounds I am getting, rather than relying on what the growing conditions were or how long I steeped the leaves or how hot the water was.
Digoxin is used for heart failure - if you'd gotten to that stage, you'd probably be struggling with a 20m walk along flat ground, let alone riding a bicycle.

Do very much agree though RE: precise doses - there is a very good and comprehensive evidence base in cardiovascular medicine, and failure to manage hypertension effectively is usually (but not always) because the affected person is not adhering to their prescribed medications, diet and exercise plan - not that failure to comply is necessarily their fault.

There are usually good reasons for this, since proper managment of hypertension can be quite complex and time consuming.

I would avoid diuretics if you're going to do strenous exercise. They have more annoying side effects (needing to urinate more being a common one). More seriously, though, if you're exercising and losing lots of fluid in sweat which is not replaced with regular hydration, then you can end up with a relative polycythaemia, however transient it may be.

Most definitely NOT a good thing for your cardiovascular system.

BTW, I am almost a doctor (18 months to go), so I do say this with some authority...

HTH,

nerdag.

nerdag said:
Digoxin is used for heart failure - if you'd gotten to that stage, you'd probably be struggling with a 20m walk along flat ground, let alone riding a bicycle.

Do very much agree though RE: precise doses - there is a very good and comprehensive evidence base in cardiovascular medicine, and failure to manage hypertension effectively is usually (but not always) because the affected person is not adhering to their prescribed medications, diet and exercise plan - not that failure to comply is necessarily their fault.

There are usually good reasons for this, since proper managment of hypertension can be quite complex and time consuming.

I would avoid diuretics if you're going to do strenous exercise. They have more annoying side effects (needing to urinate more being a common one). More seriously, though, if you're exercising and losing lots of fluid in sweat which is not replaced with regular hydration, then you can end up with a relative polycythaemia, however transient it may be.

Most definitely NOT a good thing for your cardiovascular system.

BTW, I am almost a doctor (18 months to go), so I do say this with some authority...

HTH,

nerdag.
Digoxin is also used to control ventricular response rate in patients with chronic atrial fibrillation. I just through digoxin in because it is a good example of a drug that is derived from a common plant, but it is too toxic to rely on the unpredictable quantities of the active moiety that would come from a tea made from foxglove leaves (not to mention the fact that the whole leaf digitalis or the tincture of digitalis also contains digoxigenin, digitoxigenin, digitoxin and ouabain). Heart failure, though, can be the end result of not treating hypertension, so in a way it is germane to the discussion.

The point about the need for adequate hydration during exercise is well taken; however, hydrochlorothiazide at 12.5 mg per day will not cause dehydration in most people. After a week or so of use, the excessive urination, if any, lasts only a couple of hours after the dose. Now in the "old days" when we used to give 50 mg once or twice a day, that was a different story. Hypokalemia was a major problem, and everyone was borderline dehydrated. At today's doses of 12.5 mg or 25 mg once per day, hypokalemia and dehydration are the exception rather than the rule. They still can happen, but they are not common.

BTW, I am a PharmD with 28 years of clinical pharmacology and drug development experience, the last 12 of which have been in cardiology, hypertension, and dyslipidemia. I used to teach pharmacology to nursing students and medical students, so I, too, know a little bit about the topic. ;)