High Blood Pressure

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Archie, Oct 27, 2003.

  1. Archie

    Archie Guest

    I have been receiving treatment for high blood pressure for several
    years. I am aged 61 years and do not have any other health problems.
    BP readings are currently averaging 170/95. I am on the following
    medication daily:

    Atenolol 100 mg
    Lisinopril 40 mg
    Bendrofluazide 2.5 mg
    Amlodipine 5mg
    Aspirin 75 mg
    Valsartan 80mg (added about 3 months ago with little effect)

    I do not have angina and do not have a problem with high cholesterol.

    I wonder if perhaps Dr Chung or someone could advise if anything else
    could be tried? The medical folks I see I think are running out of
    options I think.

    Archie

    Tags:

  2. On 27 Oct 2003 11:34:41 -0800, Archie <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I have been receiving treatment for high blood pressure for several
    > years. I am aged 61 years and do not have any other health problems. BP
    > readings are currently averaging 170/95. I am on the following
    > medication daily:
    >
    > Atenolol 100 mg
    > Lisinopril 40 mg
    > Bendrofluazide 2.5 mg
    > Amlodipine 5mg
    > Aspirin 75 mg
    > Valsartan 80mg (added about 3 months ago with little effect)
    >
    > I do not have angina and do not have a problem with high cholesterol.
    >
    > I wonder if perhaps Dr Chung or someone could advise if anything else
    > could be tried? The medical folks I see I think are running out of
    > options I think.
    >
    > Archie

    Have you taken your blood pressure at home? What are the readings?

    --
    ~~~
    Patrick Blanchard, M.D., A.B.F.P.

  3. Archie wrote:

    > I have been receiving treatment for high blood pressure for several
    > years. I am aged 61 years and do not have any other health problems.
    > BP readings are currently averaging 170/95. I am on the following
    > medication daily:
    >
    > Atenolol 100 mg
    > Lisinopril 40 mg
    > Bendrofluazide 2.5 mg
    > Amlodipine 5mg
    > Aspirin 75 mg
    > Valsartan 80mg (added about 3 months ago with little effect)
    >
    > I do not have angina and do not have a problem with high cholesterol.
    >
    > I wonder if perhaps Dr Chung or someone could advise if anything else
    > could be tried? The medical folks I see I think are running out of
    > options I think.
    >
    > Archie

    The diuretic, calcium channel blocker, and angiotension receptor blocker
    are not maxed out yet.

    What are you doing about sodium restriction, avoiding alcohol, and
    achieving ideal body weight?

    Are you exercising?

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist

  4. Archie

    Archie Guest

    "Patrick Blanchard, M.D." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 27 Oct 2003 11:34:41 -0800, Archie <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I have been receiving treatment for high blood pressure for several
    > > years. I am aged 61 years and do not have any other health problems. BP
    > > readings are currently averaging 170/95. I am on the following
    > > medication daily:
    > >
    > > Atenolol 100 mg
    > > Lisinopril 40 mg
    > > Bendrofluazide 2.5 mg
    > > Amlodipine 5mg
    > > Aspirin 75 mg
    > > Valsartan 80mg (added about 3 months ago with little effect)
    > >
    > > I do not have angina and do not have a problem with high cholesterol.
    > >
    > > I wonder if perhaps Dr Chung or someone could advise if anything else
    > > could be tried? The medical folks I see I think are running out of
    > > options I think.
    > >
    > > Archie
    > >

    > Have you taken your blood pressure at home? What are the readings?

    Yes, I take them daily at home, usually about midday, after taking the
    medication at about 8am or so. For the past week the daily readings
    have been
    175/94,177/92,175/91,157/87,184/94,176/89,173/95.

    Thanks for responding. Archie

  5. On 27 Oct 2003 15:15:41 -0800, Archie <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> > Bendrofluazide 2.5 mg

    I am not familiar with this medication... anyone have comments?

    --
    ~~~
    Patrick Blanchard, M.D., A.B.F.P.
    Board Certified in Family Practice
    (USA)

  6. "Patrick Blanchard, M.D." wrote:

    > I am not familiar with this medication... anyone have comments?
    >
    > --
    > ~~~
    > Patrick Blanchard, M.D., A.B.F.P.
    > Board Certified in Family Practice
    > (USA)

    It's a thiazide diuretic.

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist
    http://www.heartmdphd.com/

  7. Archie

    Archie Guest

    "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Archie wrote:
    >
    > > I have been receiving treatment for high blood pressure for several
    > > years. I am aged 61 years and do not have any other health problems.
    > > BP readings are currently averaging 170/95. I am on the following
    > > medication daily:
    > >
    > > Atenolol 100 mg
    > > Lisinopril 40 mg
    > > Bendrofluazide 2.5 mg
    > > Amlodipine 5mg
    > > Aspirin 75 mg
    > > Valsartan 80mg (added about 3 months ago with little effect)
    > >
    > > I do not have angina and do not have a problem with high cholesterol.
    > >
    > > I wonder if perhaps Dr Chung or someone could advise if anything else
    > > could be tried? The medical folks I see I think are running out of
    > > options I think.
    > >
    > > Archie

    > The diuretic, calcium channel blocker, and angiotension receptor blocker
    > are not maxed out yet.
    >
    > What are you doing about sodium restriction, avoiding alcohol, and
    > achieving ideal body weight?

    I try to watch salt intake. I drink very seldom, and then only small
    amounts. I reckon I am about 15lbs overweight and I am trying to work
    on that. I try to take low fat foods as much as possible. Dairy
    products are restricted. I avoid "off the shelf" prepared meals.

    > Are you exercising?

    Exercise is usually walking (every day varying amounts).

  8. Archie wrote:

    > "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Archie wrote:
    > >
    > > > I have been receiving treatment for high blood pressure for several
    > > > years. I am aged 61 years and do not have any other health problems.
    > > > BP readings are currently averaging 170/95. I am on the following
    > > > medication daily:
    > > >
    > > > Atenolol 100 mg
    > > > Lisinopril 40 mg
    > > > Bendrofluazide 2.5 mg
    > > > Amlodipine 5mg
    > > > Aspirin 75 mg
    > > > Valsartan 80mg (added about 3 months ago with little effect)
    > > >
    > > > I do not have angina and do not have a problem with high cholesterol.
    > > >
    > > > I wonder if perhaps Dr Chung or someone could advise if anything else
    > > > could be tried? The medical folks I see I think are running out of
    > > > options I think.
    > > >
    > > > Archie

    > > The diuretic, calcium channel blocker, and angiotension receptor blocker
    > > are not maxed out yet.
    > >
    > > What are you doing about sodium restriction, avoiding alcohol, and
    > > achieving ideal body weight?

    > I try to watch salt intake. I drink very seldom, and then only small
    > amounts. I reckon I am about 15lbs overweight

    What is your height and weight?

    > and I am trying to work
    > on that. I try to take low fat foods as much as possible. Dairy
    > products are restricted. I avoid "off the shelf" prepared meals.

    These are unlikely to help you lose weight.

    > > Are you exercising?

    > Exercise is usually walking (every day varying amounts).

    Typical duration and time of day?

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist
    http://www.heartmdphd.com/

  9. Archie

    Archie Guest

    "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Archie wrote:
    >
    > > "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    news:<[email protected]>...

    problems.

    cholesterol.

    else

    > > > The diuretic, calcium channel blocker, and angiotension receptor

    blocker
    > > > are not maxed out yet.
    > > >
    > > > What are you doing about sodium restriction, avoiding alcohol, and
    > > > achieving ideal body weight?

    > > I try to watch salt intake. I drink very seldom, and then only small
    > > amounts. I reckon I am about 15lbs overweight

    > What is your height and weight?

    Height 5ft 10ins Weight 196lbs

    > > and I am trying to work
    > > on that. I try to take low fat foods as much as possible. Dairy
    > > products are restricted. I avoid "off the shelf" prepared meals.

    > These are unlikely to help you lose weight

    So is there something specific diet -wise that I should be doing?.

    > > > Are you exercising?

    > > Exercise is usually walking (every day varying amounts).

    > Typical duration and time of day?

    Usually in two half hour sessions - one am one about 8pm-9pm

  10. Archie wrote:

    > "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Archie wrote:
    > >
    > > > "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > news:<[email protected]>...

    > problems.

    > cholesterol.

    > else

    > blocker

    > > > I try to watch salt intake. I drink very seldom, and then only small
    > > > amounts. I reckon I am about 15lbs overweight

    > > What is your height and weight?

    > Height 5ft 10ins Weight 196lbs

    You may be 46 pounds over "ideal."

    > > > and I am trying to work
    > > > on that. I try to take low fat foods as much as possible. Dairy
    > > > products are restricted. I avoid "off the shelf" prepared meals.

    > > These are unlikely to help you lose weight

    > So is there something specific diet -wise that I should be doing?.

    See:

    http://www.heartmdphd.com/wtloss.asp

    You should discuss this with your doctor.

    > > > Exercise is usually walking (every day varying amounts).

    > > Typical duration and time of day?

    > Usually in two half hour sessions - one am one about 8pm-9pm

    Duration is fine. Should be daily. Preferred time is right before the biggest
    meal of the day for maximal appetite suppressing effect.

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist
    http://www.heartmdphd.com/

  11. Jim Chinnis

    Jim Chinnis Guest

    "Archie" <[email protected]> wrote in part:

    >Height 5ft 10ins Weight 196lbs

    If I had your blood pressure, I'd lose at least 40 pounds.
    --
    Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA

  12. Archie

    Archie Guest

    "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Archie wrote:
    >
    > > "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in

    message
    > > news:[email protected]

    message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...

    several

    > > problems.

    following

    > > cholesterol.

    > > else

    of

    > > blocker

    small

    > > > What is your height and weight?

    > > Height 5ft 10ins Weight 196lbs

    > You may be 46 pounds over "ideal."

    > > > These are unlikely to help you lose weight

    > > So is there something specific diet -wise that I should be doing?.
    > >

    > See:
    >
    > http://www.heartmdphd.com/wtloss.asp
    >
    > You should discuss this with your doctor.

    > > > Typical duration and time of day?

    > > Usually in two half hour sessions - one am one about 8pm-9pm
    > >

    > Duration is fine. Should be daily. Preferred time is right before the

    biggest
    > meal of the day for maximal appetite suppressing effect.
    >
    > --

    Thanks for your expert feed-back (no pun intended!) I will try this.
    Eventually, I will let you know how I get on.

    > Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    > Board-Certified Cardiologist
    > http://www.heartmdphd.com/

  13. Derek F

    Derek F Guest

    When it was added to my medications it actually reduced my urine output
    considerably and gave me a pain in the pelvic area. One of it's side effects
    is on the prostate and I already have BPH. I was also very light headed when
    taking it along with Losartan 25mg and Securon 240mg. My BP is as high as
    Archie's at the moment but fluctuates.
    Derek.
    news:eek:[email protected]