High blood pressure

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
I heard this morning on the radio about an upcoming fun run to be conducted by a tv network. The host was interviewing the head of the event who said that they have check-up stations manned by doctors. They wouldn't allow runners to join who have health issues like heart ailments and high blood pressure. I am wondering because if they think people with high blood pressure are not fit to run then they are also unfit to ride?

Just my thoughts. I am taking maintenance medication for my hypertension for more than 10 years now.

The problem here is people covering their own behinds, but for a good reason. High blood pressure and heart disease is awfully risky, and if someone dropped over dead or had to be hospitalized during the run/ride/walk...etc... the event organizers would probably be sued right into oblivion. For that reason alone, I can understand why they would screen out certain participants. However, if your condition is under control with medication, and you have your doctor's permission, I see no reason for you to not be able to join in. As far as not being able to ride if you're not allowed to run... well, in my opinion, riding is easier on the body than running, particularly on the skeletal system. But I'm not a doctor, so I don't know what that type of expert opinion would be. I guess it would depend on what rules the event organizers have established. My thought is that they would likely screen out people with serious medical conditions regardless of the type of event.

I heard this morning on the radio about an upcoming fun run to be conducted by a tv network. The host was interviewing the head of the event who said that they have check-up stations manned by doctors. They wouldn't allow runners to join who have health issues like heart ailments and high blood pressure. I am wondering because if they think people with high blood pressure are not fit to run then they are also unfit to ride?

Just my thoughts. I am taking maintenance medication for my hypertension for more than 10 years now.

They are just minimizing their risks because accepting someone with a known health risk even if he signs a waiver can still be liable legally. And also it would be a big fiasco if some contestant would suffer an emergency, it would have a bad effect on the organizer as well as the sponsors of the said event.

Yeah, organizers of big events don't want any involvement to any unfortunate event which can happen to at-risk individuals, as it can give their organization a bad rep and can cast a sad shadow on an otherwise 'fun' event.