High Carbohydrate Meals After Long Runs - New York City --)Shopsin's in Greenwich Village

lwilson

Guest
This restaurant doesn't sell itself especially as a place for runners, but it works out that way.
Maybe 45 different kinds of pancakes and some truly huge brunch specials Saturdays and Sundays
10am to 2pm.

http://www.shopsins.com/

54 Carmine Street In the West Village between 6th and 7th Aves.

I would think that after a long run (whatever that is) - protein and not carbs are the way to go.

Tom

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 20:18:46 +0200, "Tom G" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I would think that after a long run (whatever that is) - protein and not carbs are the way to go.

Tom

Eat cum Tom. Test my theory, every guy named Tom I ever met was an asshole.

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 20:18:46 +0200, "Tom G" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I would think that after a long run (whatever that is) - protein and not carbs are the way to go.

The consensus seems to be that the best move after a long run is to replenish both fluids and
carbohydrates, with the muscles being especially amenable to glycogen absorption in the the
immediate short period after the exertion. I rely on the Glover book on competitive running

http://tinyurl.com/jmxs

which itself cites more technical references on this topic.

This was just an advertisement for a restaurant. I heard the restaurant wasn't that good anyway.

Protein is the way to go.

Enjoy, Curt

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 13:16:34 GMT, "curt" <[email protected]> wrote:

>This was just an advertisement for a restaurant. I heard the restaurant wasn't that good anyway.
>
>Protein is the way to go.
>
>Enjoy, Curt

Do you eat Cum, Curt?

> Protein is the way to go.

I can't believe people actually believe this. Look at the role protein plays in you diet. It's main
roles are assisting in muscle repair and maintaining hormonal balance ( ok it does a bit more than
this but I am trying to keep this simple). In reality most Americans get more protein in their diet
than they need so much of this is expelled through the urine. Taking in more protein will not help.
Its kind of like putting 20 gallons of gas into a 15 gallon tank. Now some people are proclaiming
the great value of protein. They are advocating that you throw 25 gallons in that 15 gallon tank.
Extra protein beyond your 15 gallon tank does nothing unless you are deficient in certain essential
amino acids (which is rare if you eat meat). I have not seen a double blind study that is privately
funded which says differently. The only possible use of additional protein I have seen is a theory
that small amounts of protein in combination with carbohydrates could lead to greater gastric
emptying (help you digest carbohydrates quicker). However this is till just a theory.

On the other hand we know at the end of the long run you have used much of your glycogen storage. It
is very easy to replenish these storage tanks within an hour of long sustained activity. You don't
need to worry as much about glycogen levels and other things.

Watch out for snake oil salesman who tries to sell you their bag of goods. Mike

Hi Mike,

I am just talking about my experience. I am on Atkins and am amazed at how much muscle I gain while
losing a few pounds of fat. I am getting down another 5 pound. Eating low carb seems to work very
well for me and I have no problem with recovery. I am not saying I eat high protein however. I eat
low carb. There is a difference.

I am not sure this way is good for everyone. I can only speak at to how it effects me. I'll be doing
some very long hikes/runs in the Adirondacks next week and that will be another good test I will put
myself through.

Curt

"Mike Lana" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > Protein is the way to go.
> >

> I can't believe people actually believe this. Look at the role protein plays in you diet. It's
> main roles are assisting in muscle repair and maintaining hormonal balance ( ok it does a bit
> more than this but I am trying to keep this simple). In reality most Americans get more protein
> in their diet than they need so much of this is expelled through the urine. Taking in more
> protein will not help. Its kind of like putting 20 gallons of gas into a 15 gallon tank. Now some
> people are proclaiming the great value of protein. They are advocating that you throw 25 gallons
> in that 15 gallon tank. Extra protein beyond your 15 gallon tank does nothing unless you are
> deficient in certain essential amino acids (which is rare if you eat meat). I have not seen a
> double blind study that is privately funded which says differently. The only possible use of
> additional protein I have seen is a theory that small amounts of protein in combination with
> carbohydrates could lead to greater gastric emptying (help you digest carbohydrates quicker).
> However this is till just a theory.
>
> On the other hand we know at the end of the long run you have used much of your glycogen storage.
> It is very easy to replenish these storage tanks within an hour of long sustained activity. You
> don't need to worry as much about glycogen levels and other things.
>
> Watch out for snake oil salesman who tries to sell you their bag of goods. Mike

I'll be doing some very long hikes/runs in the Adirondacks next
> week and that will be another good test I will put myself through.

If you are going to try this I would be very carefull. If your in the mountians and you bonk it
could be very dangerous. Make sure you bring some resturaunt sugar packets with you. If you start
feeling dizzy or light headed start taking them. It would be hell getting stranded out there. I
bonked twice. Once on a 110 mile bike ride and once on a 50 mile bike 10 mile run brick. I am glad I
had people around me who made me push gatoraid and gels until I could limp back home. I felt the
effects for the next couple days. Good luck and have a good time Mike

Thanks Mike. I will take your advise. On Atkins you can up the carbs to whatever. It doesn't have to
be as strict as the first two weeks of the diet. Anyway, I will certainly bring along supplies and
will be with another person.

I like to test things, but I am old enough to bring back up, that is for sure.

Take care, Curt

"Mike Lana" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'll be doing some very long hikes/runs in the Adirondacks next
> > week and that will be another good test I will put myself through.
> >

> If you are going to try this I would be very carefull. If your in the mountians and you bonk it
> could be very dangerous. Make sure you bring some resturaunt sugar packets with you. If you start
> feeling dizzy or light headed start taking them. It would be hell getting stranded out there. I
> bonked twice. Once on a 110 mile bike ride and once on a 50 mile bike 10 mile run brick. I am glad
> I had people around me who made me push gatoraid and gels until I could limp back home. I felt the
> effects for the next couple days. Good luck and have a good time Mike

[email protected] (Mike Lana) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
>I have not seen a double blind study that is privately funded which says differently.

How many privately funded studies are there ? I don´t think that there is that many people that pays
the amount of money that is necesary from there own pocket..

Bjorn

Here is a site that has some studies. I really haven't read them all, but have at it.

http://www.lowcarbresearch.org/lcr/results.asp?catid=219

Curt

"z_bumbi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Mike Lana) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> >I have not seen a double blind study that is privately funded which says differently.
>
> How many privately funded studies are there ? I don´t think that there is that many people that
> pays the amount of money that is necesary from there own pocket..
>
> Bjorn

> Here is a site that has some studies. I really haven't read them all, but have at it.
>
> http://www.lowcarbresearch.org/lcr/results.asp?catid=219

I just read all the abstracts listed on the posted sit so I am having at it.

Initial thoughts

1. None of these articles address the question asked about carbohydrates after long runs. The 9th
research study comes the closest by stating that protein as a source of energy decreases during
exercise. Carbohydrates and fat are the primary source of fuel. This is what I stated. You don't
need to replenish what wasn't burned. Most of us have plenty of fat stores so we don't have to
replace that right away. We don't store a lot of Carbohydrates however. That's why carbohydrate
replenishment after exercise is important.
2. For a site called low carb research they don't have much research. Only 9 studies? There are
thousands of studies on metabolism done every year.
3. These 9 studies only come from 2 Universities. It would have been much better if it were diverse
studies done over the world. Instead the students were educated by the same people and may carry
the same biases.
4. 8 of the 9 studies examine high fat and high carbohydrate diets. Protein was left at a consistent
level. One of the studies states that injuries occur in women who have high carbohydrate low fat
diets because they do not obtain enough calories. This and most other conclusions, are
independent of protein.
5. Some of the research is interesting however there are gaping holes. Most have very small sample
sizes (Some as low as 5). Many use items with simple sugars to increase carbohydrate intake. This
immediate carbohydrate rush into the bloodstream does little to no benefit for the body.
Carbohydrates composed as much as 80% of the diets on High Carb sample. This is more than anyone
would suggest. Most studies admit that their results are statistically insignificant. Workout
volume is not consistent between subjects. Some cyclist trained 6 hours a week others trained 25
etc.. I didn't see variables put in place to disrupt subject learning of procedures or increased
performance being a result of increased fitness over the testing period. They put subjects on a
diet for a week and tested them. They took them off the diet for 2 weeks. Then they placed them
on another diet for a week. They used the same tests each time. Over 9 weeks I think I would
probably perform better from just knowing the procedures. I also look at where I am in my fitness
over a 9-week period. A huge difference between the beginning of May and the middle of July.

Just a few of my thoughts Mike [email protected]

> How many privately funded studies are there ? I don´t think that there is that many people that
> pays the amount of money that is necesary from there own pocket..
>
> Bjorn

Thousands are done on metabolism every year at universities worldwide by profesors students
seeking various degrees. It is very suspect when gatoraid uses a research study they funded to
sell their product.

Mike [email protected]

Mike Lana wrote:
>>How many privately funded studies are there ? I don´t think that there is that many people that
>>pays the amount of money that is necesary from there own pocket..
>>
>>Bjorn
>

> Thousands are done on metabolism every year at universities worldwide by profesors students
> seeking various degrees. It is very suspect when gatoraid uses a research study they funded to
> sell their product.

I agree with what you're saying, but you seem to be completely confused about what is 'private
funding' and what is 'public funding'. Research done by universities is almost exclusively done with
publc funding, in the form of government grants.

Gatorade's research studies are privately funded, and therefore, since the results support their own
product must be held up to a more rigourous examination than a (more) unbiased study.

--

Cheers,

Walter R. Strapps, Ph.D

"The sheer closeness of our two countries and the intensity of our mutual interaction combined with
the disparity between us in terms of wealth and power--all these things guarantee there will be
problems in U.S.-Canadian relations without anybody having to do anything to deliberately worsen the
situation."

Robert L. Stanfield, Oct. 28, 1971

Walter R. Strapps wrote:

> Mike Lana wrote:
>
>>> How many privately funded studies are there ? I don´t think that there is that many people that
>>> pays the amount of money that is necesary from there own pocket..
>>>
>>> Bjorn
>>

>> Thousands are done on metabolism every year at universities worldwide by profesors students
>> seeking various degrees. It is very suspect when gatoraid uses a research study they funded to
>> sell their product.
>

> I agree with what you're saying, but you seem to be completely confused about what is 'private
> funding' and what is 'public funding'. Research done by universities is almost exclusively done
> with publc funding, in the form of government grants.
>
> Gatorade's research studies are privately funded, and therefore, since the results support their
> own product must be held up to a more rigourous examination than a (more) unbiased study.

A great deal of the research at univeristies is privately funded.

--
Tom Morley | Same roads [email protected] | Same rights [email protected] | Same rules
AIM: DocTDM

Chocolate milk is the best cheap recovery drink.

--
--------------------------
Andre Charlebois BPE, MCSE4.0, CNA, A+ webmaster for Triathlon New Brunswick www.TriNB.com "Tom G"
> I would think that after a long run (whatever that is) - protein and not carbs are the way to go.
>
> Tom

> > This restaurant doesn't sell itself especially as a place for runners, but it works out that
> > way. Maybe 45 different kinds of pancakes and some truly huge brunch specials Saturdays and
> > Sundays 10am to 2pm.
> >

> > http://www.shopsins.com/
> >

> > 54 Carmine Street In the West Village between 6th and 7th Aves.

Three beers and a cigarrete will take the pain away from you leading to a fast recovery.

news:[email protected]...