High Cholesterol And Prostate Cancer

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Apr 15, 2006.

  1. Direct Link Between High Cholesterol And Prostate Cancer Found

    Researchers from Italy have found what they believe to be the first
    direct link between high cholesterol levels and prostate cancer.

    A possible association has been suggested before but evidence has been
    limited. This new study, published on-line in Annals of Oncology[1]
    shows a statistically significant direct relationship between the two
    conditions.

    Lead author Dr Francesca Bravi, an epidemiologist from the Istituto di
    Ricerche Farmacologiche Mario Negri in Milan, said: "Although the study
    relied on participants' self-reported medical conditions, the absence
    of an association between prostate cancer and about 10 other medical
    conditions we investigated indicates that the relationship we found
    between prostate cancer and high cholesterol appears to be a real one."

    The research team worked on data from a case-control study carried out
    in four Italian areas between 1991 and 2002, involving 1,294 men under
    age 75 with prostate cancer and 1,451 matched controls admitted to the
    same hospitals with acute non-cancerous conditions.

    All cases and controls were interviewed in hospital by trained
    interviewers using wide-ranging structured questionnaires. These
    included a problem-oriented section on patients' medical history
    covering about 10 non-cancerous conditions, including
    hypercholesterolaemia (high cholesterol) and gallstones.

    Dr Bravi said: "We found that, after allowing for any potential
    confounding factors, men with prostate cancer were around 50% more
    likely to have had high cholesterol levels[2] than our non-prostate
    cancer controls. The association was somewhat stronger for men whose
    high cholesterol levels had been diagnosed before they were 50 and for
    men over 65, where there was an 80% greater likelihood of high
    cholesterol levels. We also found that prostate cancer patients were
    26% more likely to have suffered from gallstones than our controls,
    with an apparently higher relationship in thinner men. Although that
    figure was not statistically significant, gallstones are often related
    to high cholesterol levels. To our knowledge there have been no
    previous studies reporting any relationship between gallstones and
    prostate cancer."

    Co-author Dr Cristina Bosetti, a senior epidemiologist and
    biostatistician at the same institute, explained: "Androgens - hormones
    that have a role in prostate tissue and cancer - are synthesised from
    cholesterol, suggesting a possible biological relationship between high
    cholesterol and prostate cancer. Gallstones are related to high
    cholesterol levels as well and are often composed of cholesterol. So,
    the direct relationship we found between gallstones and prostate
    cancer, while it was not statistically significant, suggests a similar
    biological mechanism may explain the link."

    This study had relied on participant's self-reporting medical
    conditions: the researchers believe that their results should be
    confirmed by further studies, including prospective investigations with
    reliable measured cholesterol levels.

    Dr Bosetti concluded: "There are some laboratory data suggesting
    statins may have preventive potential against prostate cancer and our
    results do give an indirect suggestion that statins may help in
    lowering prostate cancer risk. However, studies to date on
    cholesterol-lowering statins and prostate cancer have been limited and
    inconclusive."

    ###

    [1] Self-reported history of hypercholesterolaemia and gallstones and
    the risk of prostate cancer. Annals of Oncology.
    doi:10.1093/annonc/mdi080.

    [2] Hypercholesterolaemia (high cholesterol levels): In this study
    hypercholesterolaemia was classified as any cholesterol over the normal
    level (>200 mg/dl or approximately 5 mmol/l).

    A PDF of the research paper is available on request.

    Please acknowledge Annals of Oncology as a source in any reports.

    Annals of Oncology is the monthly journal of the European Society for
    Medical Oncology. Annals of Oncology website:
    http://annonc.oxfordjournals.org/

    Contact: Margaret Willson
    [email protected]
    European Society for Medical Oncology

    Who loves ya.
    Tom

    Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
    http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com

    Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore

    DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

  2. Yes, "links," "corelations," "associations," "markers," "surrogate
    endpoints," "mathematical models," and "epidemiological data," and no
    need to actually try to understand what it all means. Thus, when we
    learn that certain peoples (who eat a lot amount of "saturated fat" in
    the from of coconut) have high cholesterol levels are hardly any
    "chronic disease," we can scratch our heads and say, "wow, that is
    really mysterious, but we are only looking to support what the
    textbooks say, even though much of what is in the textbooks was never
    established using the scientific method, and is now contradicted by
    evidence that was."

  3. vernon

    vernon Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Direct Link Between High Cholesterol And Prostate Cancer Found

    Not really.

    They may have a similar root cause, but artificially lowering Cholesterol
    was not even tried nor successful in altering prostate cancer.

    It has never been proven to alter heart disease either.

  4. Rob

    Rob Guest

    vernon wrote:
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > Direct Link Between High Cholesterol And Prostate Cancer Found
    > >

    > Not really.
    >
    > They may have a similar root cause, but artificially lowering Cholesterol
    > was not even tried nor successful in altering prostate cancer.
    >
    > It has never been proven to alter heart disease either.

    Awww, Big Pharma wants you to play along and you aren't cooperating!!!
    :eek:(

    However I agree. It seems that cholesterol will be a red herring for
    years to come.

    Rob

  5. Susan

    Susan Guest

    x-no-archive: yes

    Rob wrote:
    > vernon wrote:
    >
    >><[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]
    >>
    >>>Direct Link Between High Cholesterol And Prostate Cancer Found
    >>>

    >>Not really.
    >>
    >>They may have a similar root cause, but artificially lowering Cholesterol
    >>was not even tried nor successful in altering prostate cancer.
    >>
    >>It has never been proven to alter heart disease either.

    > Awww, Big Pharma wants you to play along and you aren't cooperating!!!
    > :eek:(
    >
    > However I agree. It seems that cholesterol will be a red herring for
    > years to come.
    >
    > Rob

    If you search p "hyperinsulinemia AND dyslipidemia" or "hyperinsulinemia
    AND prostate cancer" on Medline, the connection becomes more clear. For
    colon, breast and ovarian cancers, too.

    Susan