High Cholesterol? Triglycerides?

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by Dr.Hairybiker, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Dr.Hairybiker

Dr.Hairybiker New Member

I've been having blood work done for the last couple of years to monitor my cholesterol, triglycerides and blood pressure. My blood pressure was originally high normal, about 135-140 over 80-85. Chol. about 275 and tris. about 275 also. These numbers have been gradually dropping over the last couple of years, four months ago they were almost under 200. I ride about 150-200 miles a week and eat a lot of carbs, a lot of food in general. Yesterday I went in and here's what I came up with, resting heart rate(taken after walking into the exam room) was 51 bpm. Blood pressure 125 over 75. Oxygen sensor reading(whatever that is) pretty much pegged the meter. But my cholesterol and triglycerides are up close to 300! They want to put me on medication, say I'm gonna have a stroke. Genetics? Sure, maybe. But I know that if I eat no dinner the night before I go in to have blood work(in the morning after fasting), the numbers come down close to normal. The doctor says that they would not vary more than a few points, I say they are wrong. I feel great, my performance on the bike has gotten much better...what's going on? I don't want to go on medication. Should I modify my diet the day before getting blood work? Any advice appreciated.

Tags:

2. claytid

claytid New Member

First and foremost, the internet is a bad place to get medical advice, especially in light of the numbers you presented. You might consider making an appt w/ a RD and checking dietary factors. Very high CHO intake (especially if there are a lot of simple carbs in your diet) might be a culprit w/ your triglycerides. However, this is something that needs to be examined by a professional...not some geek on the internet ;)

3. LottomagicZ4941

LottomagicZ4941 New Member

At the risk of being labeled a geek on the internet I recommend you check out www.lef.org but they seem to be recommending more expensive stuff these days. I remember when the very cheap TMG was in their top 10 list.

Drs don't and can't know everything.
    The below is from their website.

"The “Forgotten” Merck Patents
    Pharmaceutical companies have long been aware that statin drugs can wreak havoc on cardiac patients and that taking coenzyme Q10 along with the statin drug would eliminate these side effects.
    The evidence supporting coenzyme Q10 as an antidote to statin drug complications is so clear that in 1989 and in 1990 Merck patented the use of coenzyme Q10 in combination with statin drugs to both prevent and treat these complications. However, Merck has neither exercised these patents nor educated physicians or patients about the necessity of taking coenzyme Q10 along with statin drugs. One of the two Merck patents states that:heart failure patients, the combination with HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors (statin drugs) should be of value in such patients who also have the added risk of high cholesterol.”34

“Since Coenzyme Q10…is of benefit in congestive heart failure patients, the combination with HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors (statin drugs) should be of value in such patients who also have the added risk of high cholesterol.”34

This patent was filed on behalf of Merck & Co on June 12, 1990. Now, almost 14 years later, most doctors and their patients remain ignorant that those taking statin drugs should also supplement with coenzyme Q10."

4. closesupport

closesupport Banned

Iodine rich Sea Kelp tablets...

helps assist in lowering cholesterol,
    http://www.faithcenteredresources.com/authors/iodine-and-liquid-minerals.asp

5. Claud Butter

Claud Butter New Member

Above 250 and you have a 1 in 25 chance of dyeing within 2 years. Above 300 you above about 1 in 10 chance of dieing in the next 1 year. And thats only if you eliminate all other odds such as fatal car crashes, train wrecks, terrorism, aliens, nuclear war etc.

6. bubber

bubber New Member

I am not suggesting that you ignore the advice of your physician, but two thoughts cross my mind:

1) Have any serious studies been performed to look at the link between heart disease and high cholesterol only in individuals who do a significant amount of exercise over a large portion of their life? I believe (maybe incorrectly) that most of the epidemiological evidence that links heart disease and cholesterol (and gives us the idea that cholesterol above 200 is risky) is for the general population, which has a very large fraction of couch potatoes.

2) Why does the medical community focus on cholesterol levels instead of developing a cheap, non-invasive method for actually measuring blockage of arteries? News that I have significant blockage would be much more persuasive than news that I have high cholesterol when it comes to getting me to take action. Such a procedure might also reduce the over-prescription of statins to individuals with no demonstrable disease.

7. Dr.Hairybiker

Dr.Hairybiker New Member

Just thought I'd throw this update in. Just got back from the Doc and my Triglycerides are down to 170(from 295). Total Cholesterol is down to 225(from 290) and dropping. Good cholesterol is really good, bad cholesterol is way down. All this in two months time. What did I change? I cut my alcohol intake down to about 5-8 drinks a week. Guess those few drinks 2-3 nights a week, and the weekend "after hard ride" binges, were not without their side effects. Of course, when you stop what I guess is relatively hard drinking, your diet changes naturally also. I don't crave the huge plates of rice, potatos and pasta at night. I still eat a lot more than a non-cyclist, but I've been eating more fruits/veggies. Heaven knows I still pig out on the carbs before and after hard rides though.

8. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

A couple of years ago I had my anual physical and the doctor stated my blood pressure was way high and that I may suffer a stroke if she didn't put me on medication. Since she is the doctor I first believed her and it kind of scared me that day. She said she wanted to put me on Lipitor and I knew of some guys that were already on that medication and were having other side effect problems. Those drugs some times do more harm than good.

Well anyway I bought a blood pressure kit to test myself and it kept coming up with lower numbers so I thought it was broke and took it back to the store. I went to the chiropractor the next day and they did a blood pressure test as part of their exam. Their numbers were low just like the self tester that I bought. Then I started getting mad because I remember the doctor's lab coat had a Lipitor logo, her pen and presciption pad was by Lipitor. I don't know if there was something to that, but it sure looked like she was looking for kickbacks.

Anyway I took this as a wake up call and decided that I would clean up my diet even more and make sure I get a proper dose of omega fatty acids each day like flax seed oil and extra virgin olive oil. I am still cautious because there is always a chance that she was right, but I do not want to use cholesterol medicine if I can help it.

I am due for my next physical so I guess I will see how things are going. I am considering a new family doctor because it seems like she is an employee of the pharmacy companies.

9. closesupport

closesupport Banned

Have you not tryed sea kelp tablets, its natural and to take just 1 tablet 3 times a day seems to work for me accompanied with extra vitamin B 30 (strong) my energy levels seem somewhat unlimited, although the only side effect i have encountered is wind :) but whats a fart or 2 between friends..

10. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

First time I have heard of sea kelp tablets, but I will look into it and see if my local supplement shop has any in stock. Thanks

Wind? My wife seems to be used to my antics by now. :)

11. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

12. closesupport

closesupport Banned

i don't know how you can call it quakery ric! i used them for 3wks and i lost 1/2 stone... and i didn't really change my diet anyway plus i felt like i had alot more energy. maybe the energy was down to the Vit B which i'm led to believe assists in the utilisation of energy from carbs, my appetite increased somewhat but i still managed to loose weight......? you explain the reasons behind it, you tell me that there ain't no benefits from Iodine where cholesterol is concerned??, etc.. you tell me the good points and the bad points ric?????

we've heard all this before; we know, but shits good. Sea kelp 1-3 tablets perday prefarably with meals 100mg, 150ug Iodine. Suitable for vegetarians and vegans

13. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

rather than repeat everything, why not just read the link?

cheers
    ric

14. Roadie_scum

Roadie_scum New Member

15. closesupport

closesupport Banned

that was just a link.... thats all. Nevermind anyhow! Happy xmas i ain't getting into a dispute, you have your opinion and your entitled to it, i have mine and i believe that it works. Firstly you must know that sea kelp is rich in iodine, Iodine is the important factor. now you see what iodine does for us. it ain't about faith based minerals, its about the iodine..

anyway i have presents to wrap a bike to whipe down and lube, happy xmas and i wish you all the best in the newyear all who stumble upon this :)

http://www.drfuhrman.com/library/article10.aspx

http://www.purifymind.com/Iodine.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=14905006&dopt=Abstract

have fun..;)

16. Weisse Luft

Weisse Luft New Member

Watch your diet, especially on modified fats. Triglycerides are nothing more than ordinary edible oils but their presence in the blood are a sign of something not correct. Fats are necessary in diets but artifically saturated oils (hydrogenated) are the problem because the isomerization to the trans fat configuration in the hydrogenation process can lead to poor deglyceration in the intestine from the normal action of lipase enzymes.

With natural oils and fats, lipase enzymes completely strip the three fatty acid chains off the glycerol. Trans fats block the action of the lipase enzymes, leading to the absorption of mono and diglycerides into the blood. With mono and duglycerides in even slightly lipemic blood, reesterification to triglyceride is possible, preventing metabolization of this reformed triglyceride.

17. tingland

tingland New Member

I was diagnosed with the same thing...Chol-303 and Tris-436. WAY BAD! I was very confused being that I race mountain bikes so I therefore consider myself very healthy...just a little overweight. Who isn't?

Anyway, my Doctor told me it was due to eating all the high carbs...pastas, sport drinks, gels, etc...that I was consuming thinking it was what I needed. I was wrong. I was overdoing it. The carbs turned into sugars which turned into the high triglycerides...and higher cholesterol. Your cholesterol ratio is comprised with the triglycerides. My doctor told me to cut out all the carbs that I was doing...not all of them...just about 80-90% of them. Within 3 months...my choleterol dropped to 260 and my triglycerides dropped to 180. My target range is below 200 for Choleterol and below 150 for triglycerides. I have even lost the weight, too.

Also, keep in mind that with the high triglycerides...they turn into fat that stores in and on your liver. Not good. My doctor said that if not controlled...I could become diabetic due to allowing the numbers to stay high.