High country challenge

athman

Jan 11, 2006
Its next weekend I can't make up my mind whether to go or not. Anyone else going? ... or not going, why or why not?

athman said:
Its next weekend I can't make up my mind whether to go or not. Anyone else going? ... or not going, why or why not?
Mate if you haven't booked accomodation by this time can you still get it?

I'm going - should be a good weekend.

I'd imagine it would be pretty difficult to find accom on the saturday night at buller by this stage but you might get lucky......

Thanks for reminding me about practical matters. I found out there's still room at the Ajax ski lodge. I'm doing the Irene Plowman overnight ride tonight, I'll think about it while I'm pedalling away. I intially wasn't going to enter the High Country thing, but I did the 130k Alpine Classic this year and pulled out at Falls Creek becuse of the heat. All that training gone to waste, I've got to climb at least one big hill this year!

i happened upon this part of the world by accident about 2yrs ago.

falls creek, mt beauty, bright etc. i LOVED it. i was just cruising in the car for a few days, and couldnt get enough of the "high country".

my question is, would i get my **** up those hills?? im a slacker, dont ride much at all. i can put together about 30km, 30km, 60km week (3 days per week) but that would be a big week. too much else on im afraid.
is there any chance i could lug it up say falls creek or mt hotham on such a prep??
id love to spend a quiet week or 2 just riding around there, not in an audax or high country comp at this stage.

thoughts??

Ricardo29 said:

falls creek, mt beauty, bright etc. i LOVED it. i was just cruising in the car for a few days, and couldnt get enough of the "high country".

my question is, would i get my **** up those hills?? im a slacker, dont ride much at all. i can put together about 30km, 30km, 60km week (3 days per week) but that would be a big week. too much else on im afraid.
is there any chance i could lug it up say falls creek or mt hotham on such a prep??
id love to spend a quiet week or 2 just riding around there, not in an audax or high country comp at this stage.

thoughts??
No. Definitely get fitter. You'd hurl your breakfast on the first slope.

hhmmm...was hoping for a different answer, but after yesterdays 3hr cruise, i know youre right!!

Ricardo29 said:

thoughts??
Yes, a little more preparation is needed. I took up cycling just under two years ago, 41 yrs old and 15kg heavier than I am now. Within 6 months I completed my first 130k Alpine Classic; slowly, but I did it. (this year was a different story because of the extreme heat!).

If you are in Melbourne then you could practice in the Dandenongs first and build up to it. Mount Dandenong is about a 10k climb and you can do it from different approach roads. The first time up is pretty tough but it gets progressively easier. Then do it 2 times, 3 times etc. I did that for about 3 months and then I was ready. The scenery is pretty good too.

Once you've built up a good base you can do all sorts of rides at a recreational pace and enjoy it.